File permisstions after upgrading from xp to vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

jason a.

File permisstions after upgrading from xp to vista
I read a post about a person having a similar problem and the fix was taking
ownership of the file. in my case its different though. After upgrading i was
denied access to my videos, my music, and my pictures files saying that i do
not have permision to access these files. when i look to see about the
ownership i found that i was already the owner of the file but that vista had
added the user "everyone" and had its permissions set to deny access to read
and view the file. after many failed atempts to change this i have come the
question of wether or not i have to restore my computer to xp and copy the
files and then put them back on vista or if there is a way to delete or
change the permissions to the user "everyone".

p.s. under the user everyone administrators, system, and users have full
access but i believe its the user everyone
Jimmy Brush

Re: File permisstions after upgrading from xp to vista
jason a. wrote:
> I read a post about a person having a similar problem and the fix was taking
> ownership of the file. in my case its different though. After upgrading i was
> denied access to my videos, my music, and my pictures files saying that i do
> not have permision to access these files. when i look to see about the
> ownership i found that i was already the owner of the file but that vista had
> added the user "everyone" and had its permissions set to deny access to read
> and view the file. after many failed atempts to change this i have come the
> question of wether or not i have to restore my computer to xp and copy the
> files and then put them back on vista or if there is a way to delete or
> change the permissions to the user "everyone".
>
> p.s. under the user everyone administrators, system, and users have full
> access but i believe its the user everyone

Hello,

These locations do not exist and have been moved/renamed in Windows Vista.

They are now the "Music", "Videos", and "Pictures" folders inside of
your user folder.

The things that are giving you "access denied" are not folders, they
cannot contain files. They are only there for application compatibility
purposes.

Vista should have moved your stuff from your Windows XP location to the
new Vista folders.

If not, they may be in a hidden folder called Windows.Old.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User