Strange behaviour when using IE7 on Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Blue Arrow

Strange behaviour when using IE7 on Vista
Hi,

This may not be the right place for this question but I could only find IE7
in a non-Englilsh newsgroup. If there is one please point me towards it -
there are none listed in Windows Mail.

Now to the question - I put security 'Tools-Internet Options-Securiy and
Privacy' on high for all of them. Noe, in all previous versions of IE if I
did that I would not be able to browse the Web. But in IE 7 these settings
to High do not seem to do anything.

Am I doing somthing wrong!!

Spirit

Re: Strange behaviour when using IE7 on Vista
Set the Firewall to BLOCK port 80 for that or all Users.

"Blue Arrow" <pravesh'rem this'@prasher.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This may not be the right place for this question but I could only find
> IE7 in a non-Englilsh newsgroup. If there is one please point me towards
> it - there are none listed in Windows Mail.
>
> Now to the question - I put security 'Tools-Internet Options-Securiy and
> Privacy' on high for all of them. Noe, in all previous versions of IE if I
> did that I would not be able to browse the Web. But in IE 7 these settings
> to High do not seem to do anything.
>
> Am I doing somthing wrong!!

Blue Arrow

Re: Strange behaviour when using IE7 on Vista
First of all, How? I have set it to block all incoming connections (Control
Panel - Windows firewall - General - On - Block all incoming connections)
and I can still browse the web.

Secondly, what purpose do these Internet Options - Security settings serve,
if they are allowing me to browse. I know in IE6 and prior to that, as far
as I can remember, one would set the security to High and then add sites to
exceptions list.

Is that a step forward!!!

"Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
> Set the Firewall to BLOCK port 80 for that or all Users.
>
> "Blue Arrow" <pravesh'rem this'@prasher.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> This may not be the right place for this question but I could only find
>> IE7 in a non-Englilsh newsgroup. If there is one please point me towards
>> it - there are none listed in Windows Mail.
>>
>> Now to the question - I put security 'Tools-Internet Options-Securiy and
>> Privacy' on high for all of them. Noe, in all previous versions of IE if
>> I did that I would not be able to browse the Web. But in IE 7 these
>> settings to High do not seem to do anything.
>>
>> Am I doing somthing wrong!!

Spirit

Re: Strange behaviour when using IE7 on Vista
Block Port 80 Outgoing

> First of all, How? I have set it to block all incoming connections
> (Control Panel - Windows firewall - General - On - Block all incoming
> connections) and I can still browse the web.
>
> Secondly, what purpose do these Internet Options - Security settings
> serve, if they are allowing me to browse. I know in IE6 and prior to that,
> as far as I can remember, one would set the security to High and then add
> sites to exceptions list.
>
> Is that a step forward!!!
>
> "Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
>> Set the Firewall to BLOCK port 80 for that or all Users.
>>
>> "Blue Arrow" <pravesh'rem this'@prasher.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This may not be the right place for this question but I could only find
>>> IE7 in a non-Englilsh newsgroup. If there is one please point me towards
>>> it - there are none listed in Windows Mail.
>>>
>>> Now to the question - I put security 'Tools-Internet Options-Securiy and
>>> Privacy' on high for all of them. Noe, in all previous versions of IE if
>>> I did that I would not be able to browse the Web. But in IE 7 these
>>> settings to High do not seem to do anything.
>>>
>>> Am I doing somthing wrong!!

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Re: Strange behaviour when using IE7 on Vista
"Blue Arrow" <pravesh'rem this'@prasher.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This may not be the right place for this question but I could only find
> IE7 in a non-Englilsh newsgroup. If there is one please point me towards
> it - there are none listed in Windows Mail.
>
> Now to the question - I put security 'Tools-Internet Options-Securiy and
> Privacy' on high for all of them. Noe, in all previous versions of IE if I
> did that I would not be able to browse the Web. But in IE 7 these settings
> to High do not seem to do anything.
>
> Am I doing somthing wrong!!

Did you close IE and reopen it?
Were the settings still on high?

If you want better answers for IE7 questions please see:

In a newsreader:

On the web:

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

Blue Arrow

Re: Strange behaviour when using IE7 on Vista
Yes settings were on High. The machine has been started a few times,
settings are on High and still everything gets through. Thanks for the
ponters I shall have a look at them.