Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

muarrif

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??

I am having the exact same problem. At first I thought it was AVG
Internet Security Firewall causing the issue but perhaps not. However I
have sent the logs to the guys at AVG.

WHEN I TRY TO START FIREWALL MANUALLY IT GIVES ME THE FOLLOWING ERROR:
Windows could not start he Windows Firewall service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependancy service or group failed to start.

Firewall part of the AVG Internet Security Suite also does not work and
shows in red possibly because it relies on the same module.

|Filename: Security Essentials.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=6324|

muarrif
muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690

http://forums.techarena.in

Spirit

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??
START - type WF.msc in the search box

"muarrif" <muarrif.2t8wjg@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I am having the exact same problem. At first I thought it was AVG
> Internet Security Firewall causing the issue but perhaps not. However I
> have sent the logs to the guys at AVG.
>
> WHEN I TRY TO START FIREWALL MANUALLY IT GIVES ME THE FOLLOWING ERROR:
> Windows could not start he Windows Firewall service on Local Computer.
> Error 1068: The dependancy service or group failed to start.
>
> Firewall part of the AVG Internet Security Suite also does not work and
> shows in red possibly because it relies on the same module.

> |Filename: Security Essentials.jpg |
> |Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=6324|

> muarrif
> muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

muarrif

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??

searching for *WF.msc* in windows doesn't return any results.

Why am I searching for this?

--
muarrif
muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690

http://forums.techarena.in

Spirit

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??
It turns on the Windows Firewall Control Panel

http://www.agnitum.com/news/security...es/january2007
See Advanced Firewall Settings and Capabilities

http://tech.msn.com/products/article...1433991&page=2

Get the FREE Vista Firewall Control :
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html
Be sure to download 32 bit unless you have a 64 bit system

"muarrif" <muarrif.2taofi@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> searching for *WF.msc* in windows doesn't return any results.
>
> Why am I searching for this?
>

> --
> muarrif
> muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

muarrif

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??

> It turns on the Windows Firewall Control Panel
>
> http://www.agnitum.com/news/security...es/january2007
> See Advanced Firewall Settings and Capabilities
>
> http://tech.msn.com/products/article...1433991&page=2
>
> Get the FREE Vista Firewall Control :
> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html
> Be sure to download 32 bit unless you have a 64 bit system

Is this a third party software (firewall) or is it designed to turn the
windows firewall back ON?

--
muarrif
muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690

http://forums.techarena.in

Spirit

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??
WF.msc IS the Windows Firewall read the links I posted

"muarrif" <muarrif.2tawrh@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

>> It turns on the Windows Firewall Control Panel
>>
>> http://www.agnitum.com/news/security...es/january2007
>> See Advanced Firewall Settings and Capabilities
>>
>> http://tech.msn.com/products/article...1433991&page=2
>>
>> Get the FREE Vista Firewall Control :
>> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html
>> Be sure to download 32 bit unless you have a 64 bit system

> Is this a third party software (firewall) or is it designed to turn the
> windows firewall back ON?
>

> --
> muarrif
> muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

anandk

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??
ensure that the following services are set to automatic and started :

Application Layer gateway Service
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Telephony
Remote Access Connection Manager
Plug and Play

also see if something here helps u
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

--
www.WinVistaClub.com
Microsoft MVP 2007 Awardee.

"muarrif" wrote:

> I am having the exact same problem. At first I thought it was AVG
> Internet Security Firewall causing the issue but perhaps not. However I
> have sent the logs to the guys at AVG.
>
> WHEN I TRY TO START FIREWALL MANUALLY IT GIVES ME THE FOLLOWING ERROR:
> Windows could not start he Windows Firewall service on Local Computer.
> Error 1068: The dependancy service or group failed to start.
>
> Firewall part of the AVG Internet Security Suite also does not work and
> shows in red possibly because it relies on the same module.

> |Filename: Security Essentials.jpg |
> |Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=6324|

> muarrif
> muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

muarrif

anandk;2992393 Wrote:
> ensure that the following services are set to automatic and started :
>
> Application Layer gateway Service
> Network Connections
> Network Location Awareness
> Telephony
> Remote Access Connection Manager
> Plug and Play
>
> also see if something here helps u
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm
>
> --
> www.WinVistaClub.com
> Microsoft MVP 2007 Awardee.

All of the above are running and on automatic.
Still the same problem

--
muarrif
muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690

http://forums.techarena.in

dean-dean

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??
You could try this:

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", run this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
services to shut down. Run the command again. You actually may have to run
it 3 times before it finally runs and completes on its own.

Reboot your system.

"muarrif" <muarrif.2th2zh@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> anandk;2992393 Wrote:
>> ensure that the following services are set to automatic and started :
>>
>> Application Layer gateway Service
>> Network Connections
>> Network Location Awareness
>> Telephony
>> Remote Access Connection Manager
>> Plug and Play
>>
>> also see if something here helps u
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm
>>
>> --
>> www.WinVistaClub.com
>> Microsoft MVP 2007 Awardee.
>>

> All of the above are running and on automatic.
> Still the same problem
>

> --
> muarrif
> muarrif's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23517
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=602690
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

muarrif

Re: Security centre can't turn on windows firewall??

WMI Repository is consistent

I AM GOING MAD nothing seems to work. The guys at AVG are being really
patient with me and very helpful too but still no luck with firewall.
Windows firewall on its own do not work.

|Filename: WMI Repository is consistant.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=6329|