How to disable ICMP echo requests (Ping) on Windows Vista Home Bas

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

AChung

How to disable ICMP echo requests (Ping) on Windows Vista Home Bas
Is it possible to disable Ping reply on Windows Vista Home Basic or its
Windows Firewall? The setting is recommended by GRC's ShieldsUP making my PC
invisible on the Internet.
Mr. Arnold

Re: How to disable ICMP echo requests (Ping) on Windows Vista Home Bas

"AChung" <AChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to disable Ping reply on Windows Vista Home Basic or its
> Windows Firewall? The setting is recommended by GRC's ShieldsUP making my
> PC
> invisible on the Internet.

Ipsec is on Vista but I don't know about Home Basic.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_tr...with_ipsec.htm

If you want the machine to be invisable to the the Internet with all inbound
unsolicited traffic block to the machine by default, then put the machine
behind a NAT router.

BillD

"AChung" wrote:

> Is it possible to disable Ping reply on Windows Vista Home Basic or its
> Windows Firewall? The setting is recommended by GRC's ShieldsUP making my PC
> invisible on the Internet.

By default, "Ping reply" is disabled.
By default, with Windows Vista firewall all computers are invisible on the
Internet
AChung

Re: How to disable ICMP echo requests (Ping) on Windows Vista Home
Dear Mr Arnold

Thank you for your detailed information.

Regards.

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> "AChung" <AChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to disable Ping reply on Windows Vista Home Basic or its
> > Windows Firewall? The setting is recommended by GRC's ShieldsUP making my
> > PC
> > invisible on the Internet.

> Ipsec is on Vista but I don't know about Home Basic.
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_tr...with_ipsec.htm
>
> If you want the machine to be invisable to the the Internet with all inbound
> unsolicited traffic block to the machine by default, then put the machine
> behind a NAT router.
>
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp

AChung

RE: How to disable ICMP echo requests (Ping) on Windows Vista Home
Hi, BillD

Thank you for your advice.

Regards.