Computer Management via MMC "Error 5: Access Denied"

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Carl Farrington

Computer Management via MMC "Error 5: Access Denied"
I am logged-on to the Windows 2000 Server domain controller as the domain
Administrator, and I want to view the Event Log, and Stop/Restart some
services on a Vista Business machine which a member computer in the domain.

I am receiving "Error 5: Access Denied" messages, although on one occasion I
was apparently able to stop/start a service, the problem returned
immediately after, following a message telling me that there was an issue
communicating with the Plug and Play manager or some such.

Is this normal? I tend to work this way for temporarily disabling the
Windows Firewall amongst other things if the firewall configuration is wrong
for me to remote-control the machine using NetSupport.

In an XP environment, this facility is still available with the firewall
enabled. I guess that's not so for Vista? Even so, I have had the user add
'remote service control', 'file and printer sharing', and some other things
to his exception list.

Can anybody help please?

I don't like Vista

Jesper

RE: Computer Management via MMC "Error 5: Access Denied"
Can you get us a complete error message? This is not normal. When using
domain accounts that are local admins you should be getting a full admin
token over the network. It is only with local accounts that you get a
filtered token.

FWIW, Windows 2000 is out of support. It was not tested with Windows Vista
and it could very well be that something in the interaction is causing this
problem. Do you have a Windows Server 2003 server you can connect from
instead?
---