Vista Firewall Control

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Spirit

Vista Firewall Control
For those running Vista I found an excellent Firewall Control program
that allows easier specific program control of Vista's Firewall. The
Free version allows Four Control Zones for each program that
attempts to access the web : Enable All, Disable All, Incoming Only,
and Outgoing Only. These cover the areas that Vista's Firewall is
setup to manage and allows more specific control with easier access
than is built-in to the Vista Firewall. Additionally the access rights
can be set as "Apply Once" or as full time behavior. There is also a
Plus version which adds many extra features that definitely extends
the functionality of the Vista Firewall.

Besides the Free and Plus Vista Firewall Controls there are several
versions for Portable Devices such as USB Flash Drives, USB
HDD's, iPods, and flash cards. These come in both standard USB
and U3 capabilities. These particular products do not require an
installation on the connected PC to protect the drive and are the
Portable Free, Portable Plus, Portable U3 Free, and Portable U3
Plus.

In my testing the Vista Firewall has proven to be extremely robust by
providing full Stealth for all ports and now Sphinx has come up with
some programs that really adds much needed user control.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
Vista Firewall Control

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html
Comparison of the Free and Plus Vista Firewall Control versions
(Also compares the Portable Versions)

I really think Sphinx has come up with some excellent programs.
(I have no direct contact or affiliation with Sphinx.)

PTravel

Re: Vista Firewall Control

"Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
> For those running Vista I found an excellent Firewall Control program
> that allows easier specific program control of Vista's Firewall. The
> Free version allows Four Control Zones for each program that
> attempts to access the web : Enable All, Disable All, Incoming Only,
> and Outgoing Only. These cover the areas that Vista's Firewall is
> setup to manage and allows more specific control with easier access
> than is built-in to the Vista Firewall. Additionally the access rights
> can be set as "Apply Once" or as full time behavior. There is also a
> Plus version which adds many extra features that definitely extends
> the functionality of the Vista Firewall.
>
> Besides the Free and Plus Vista Firewall Controls there are several
> versions for Portable Devices such as USB Flash Drives, USB
> HDD's, iPods, and flash cards. These come in both standard USB
> and U3 capabilities. These particular products do not require an
> installation on the connected PC to protect the drive and are the
> Portable Free, Portable Plus, Portable U3 Free, and Portable U3
> Plus.
>
> In my testing the Vista Firewall has proven to be extremely robust by
> providing full Stealth for all ports and now Sphinx has come up with
> some programs that really adds much needed user control.
>
> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
> Vista Firewall Control
>
> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html
> Comparison of the Free and Plus Vista Firewall Control versions
> (Also compares the Portable Versions)
>
> I really think Sphinx has come up with some excellent programs.
> (I have no direct contact or affiliation with Sphinx.)

I've had numerous problems with Sphinx sporadically blocking TCP/IP4
wireless connections. I had to pull it off my machine (which was a project
in itself).

Spirit

Re: Vista Firewall Control
I have had zero issues with either the Free or the Plus versions. Since it
is only a
control program, is it possible you set rules that caused the issues. Or did
you
have another firewall/security product installed at the same time? Such as
ZA,
Norton, McAfee and so on? Since VFC works with the Vista Firewall there
normally should be no competing products to the firewall functions envolved.

"PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message

> "Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
>> For those running Vista I found an excellent Firewall Control program
>> that allows easier specific program control of Vista's Firewall. The
>> Free version allows Four Control Zones for each program that
>> attempts to access the web : Enable All, Disable All, Incoming Only,
>> and Outgoing Only. These cover the areas that Vista's Firewall is
>> setup to manage and allows more specific control with easier access
>> than is built-in to the Vista Firewall. Additionally the access rights
>> can be set as "Apply Once" or as full time behavior. There is also a
>> Plus version which adds many extra features that definitely extends
>> the functionality of the Vista Firewall.
>>
>> Besides the Free and Plus Vista Firewall Controls there are several
>> versions for Portable Devices such as USB Flash Drives, USB
>> HDD's, iPods, and flash cards. These come in both standard USB
>> and U3 capabilities. These particular products do not require an
>> installation on the connected PC to protect the drive and are the
>> Portable Free, Portable Plus, Portable U3 Free, and Portable U3
>> Plus.
>>
>> In my testing the Vista Firewall has proven to be extremely robust by
>> providing full Stealth for all ports and now Sphinx has come up with
>> some programs that really adds much needed user control.
>>
>> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
>> Vista Firewall Control
>>
>> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html
>> Comparison of the Free and Plus Vista Firewall Control versions
>> (Also compares the Portable Versions)
>>
>> I really think Sphinx has come up with some excellent programs.
>> (I have no direct contact or affiliation with Sphinx.)

> I've had numerous problems with Sphinx sporadically blocking TCP/IP4
> wireless connections. I had to pull it off my machine (which was a
> project in itself).

Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista Firewall Control
Spirit wrote:
> For those running Vista I found an excellent Firewall Control program
> that allows easier specific program control of Vista's Firewall. The
> Free version allows Four Control Zones for each program that
> attempts to access the web : Enable All, Disable All, Incoming Only,
> and Outgoing Only. These cover the areas that Vista's Firewall is
> setup to manage and allows more specific control with easier access
> than is built-in to the Vista Firewall. Additionally the access rights
> can be set as "Apply Once" or as full time behavior. There is also a
> Plus version which adds many extra features that definitely extends
> the functionality of the Vista Firewall.
>
> Besides the Free and Plus Vista Firewall Controls there are several
> versions for Portable Devices such as USB Flash Drives, USB
> HDD's, iPods, and flash cards. These come in both standard USB
> and U3 capabilities. These particular products do not require an
> installation on the connected PC to protect the drive and are the
> Portable Free, Portable Plus, Portable U3 Free, and Portable U3
> Plus.
>
> In my testing the Vista Firewall has proven to be extremely robust by
> providing full Stealth for all ports and now Sphinx has come up with
> some programs that really adds much needed user control.
>
> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
> Vista Firewall Control
>
> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html
> Comparison of the Free and Plus Vista Firewall Control versions
> (Also compares the Portable Versions)
>
> I really think Sphinx has come up with some excellent programs.
> (I have no direct contact or affiliation with Sphinx.)

Vista's built-in firewall, although superior to that of WinXP, is still
of a somewhat rudimentary nature, intended to meet the simpler needs of
most home consumers (or business/enterprise clients already ensconced
behind more advanced perimeter defenses).

As you've said Sphinx's Vista Firewall Control
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/) does make the Vista Firewall much more
useful to the average user.

Remember, though, that there are two interfaces for Vistas built-in
firewall:

1) A simplified one accessed through the Control Panel that is the only
one most people see. (And the one that is enhanced by Sphinx's product)

2) And the more advanced "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
(WF.msc)," accessed via the Start Menu's Administrative Tools folder,
for the experienced user who wants better control.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Spirit

Re: Vista Firewall Control
Very true however I particularly like the ease of use of the Free version
and the
added security features of the Plus are good when needed.

On Jul 3, 10:17 pm, "Spirit" <unkn...@lost.info> wrote:
> I have had zero issues with either the Free or the Plus versions. Since it
> is only a
> control program, is it possible you set rules that caused the issues.

No -- I did not change any rules.

> Or did
> you
> have another firewall/security product installed at the same time?

No -- I did not have any other firewalls running. I, of course, have
anti-malware software (SpySweeper) and anti-virus (AVG) running.
Sphinx is supposed to be a front-end to the Windows Firewall. The
presence of either SpySweeper or AVG shouldn't matter.

> Such as
> ZA,
> Norton, McAfee and so on?

As I said, no.

> Since VFC works with the Vista Firewall there
> normally should be no competing products to the firewall functions envolved.

Well, obviously. I'm glad it's worked well for you. I've tested it
several times on my machine and the wifi problems are chronic and
repeatable.