internet software, administrator access, and security.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

dumalam

internet software, administrator access, and security.
i downloaded poker software from a popular internet site. the icon on the
desktop shows that it requires administrator access, and indeed when i open
it i get the 'unidentified program wants access to your computer' message
from user account control. the site seems reliable and legitimate, but i am
wondering if granting the program access to my computer leaves me and my
computer vulnerable. can the poker website, or another perhaps, track and see
personal information, and maybe even affect my computer in any way. and will
windows defender and other anti virus software pick up on anyhting like that.
i hope someone can help out. thanks.
dumalam

RE: internet software, administrator access, and security.
just wanted to add that after installing the software i got a message from
windows that it may have not installed properly, or with the right
configuration. i thought maybe that had something to do with the fact that
need to give it full access all teh time. thanks.
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"dumalam" <dumalam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i downloaded poker software from a popular internet site. the icon on the
> desktop shows that it requires administrator access, and indeed when i
> open
> it i get the 'unidentified program wants access to your computer' message
> from user account control. the site seems reliable and legitimate, but i
> am
> wondering if granting the program access to my computer leaves me and my
> computer vulnerable. can the poker website, or another perhaps, track and
> see
> personal information, and maybe even affect my computer in any way. and
> will
> windows defender and other anti virus software pick up on anyhting like
> that.
> i hope someone can help out. thanks.

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
For quite a few people it's by installing Messenger Plus, whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

dumalam

Re: internet software, administrator access, and security.
follow up question. if i give a program admin access to my computer, what can
that program do or see? when i connect to the internet game, can the software
see what i'm doing on my computer? see me check emails and see private,
personal files on my computer? what exactly is the danger? thanks.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: internet software, administrator access, and security.
Whe you provide a software program with full administrator privileges, you
grant it unrestricted access to the entire computer. The program can do just
about anything it wishes. If the program has malicious intentions, you are
in trouble.

I would contact the makers of that program and ask why it even needs to have
unrestricted access to your entire computer.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> follow up question. if i give a program admin access to my computer, what
> can
> that program do or see? when i connect to the internet game, can the
> software
> see what i'm doing on my computer? see me check emails and see private,
> personal files on my computer? what exactly is the danger? thanks.

dumalam

Re: internet software, administrator access, and security.
ok. thanks alot.