IExplore and Firefox - why do firewall requirements differ?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Doug

IExplore and Firefox - why do firewall requirements differ?
I use Vista Home Premium with the Windows Firewall ON

In addition to that I use the simple firewall Vista Firewall Control from:
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
For each application this firewall can be set to one of four states (it
calls them "Zones"):
DisableAll, EnableAll, IncomingOnly, OutgoingOnly.

The firewall itself can also be switched globally via the system tray
rightclick menu between three "Modes": Normal, DisableAll, EnableAll. Here
we are only concerned with Normal mode. I have not noticed any conflict
between the two firewalls.

Problem:

When this firewall initially blocks an application that I want to pass
through the firewall, I set it to OutgoingOnly. This is enough for most of
them. Some, such as Mailwasher Pro and FTP clients understandably are not
happy until they are set to EnableAll.

What puzzles me is the differing behaviour as between IExplore and Firefox
when both are set to OutgoingOnly. If I connect to my bank using IExplore I
see my login screen immediately; however when I connect to my bank using
Firefox, Vista Firewall Control comes up with a message that it has been
blocked. Nevertheless if I ignore it, my login screen at the bank still
comes up, but after a delay of perhaps twenty seconds. However if I set
Firefox to EnableAll, it shows the login screen immediately.

I would like to understand what is going on here.

Doug

Spirit

Re: IExplore and Firefox - why do firewall requirements differ?
Are you using the Free version or one of the full versions? Just
interested if the free one has the features you mentioned.

"Doug" <just_me@fake_address.replytogroup> wrote in message
>I use Vista Home Premium with the Windows Firewall ON
>
> In addition to that I use the simple firewall Vista Firewall Control from:
> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
> For each application this firewall can be set to one of four states (it
> calls them "Zones"):
> DisableAll, EnableAll, IncomingOnly, OutgoingOnly.
>
> The firewall itself can also be switched globally via the system tray
> rightclick menu between three "Modes": Normal, DisableAll, EnableAll. Here
> we are only concerned with Normal mode. I have not noticed any conflict
> between the two firewalls.
>
> Problem:
>
> When this firewall initially blocks an application that I want to pass
> through the firewall, I set it to OutgoingOnly. This is enough for most of
> them. Some, such as Mailwasher Pro and FTP clients understandably are not
> happy until they are set to EnableAll.
>
> What puzzles me is the differing behaviour as between IExplore and Firefox
> when both are set to OutgoingOnly. If I connect to my bank using IExplore
> I see my login screen immediately; however when I connect to my bank using
> Firefox, Vista Firewall Control comes up with a message that it has been
> blocked. Nevertheless if I ignore it, my login screen at the bank still
> comes up, but after a delay of perhaps twenty seconds. However if I set
> Firefox to EnableAll, it shows the login screen immediately.
>
> I would like to understand what is going on here.
>
> Doug

Doug

Re: IExplore and Firefox - why do firewall requirements differ?
Spirit - I am using the free version of Vista Firewall Control - Doug