Eliminating Windows Security Alert

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

harmonp

Eliminating Windows Security Alert
I am running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Windows Vista firewall is turned
off. Nevertheless the Windows Security Alert red shield continues to display
in the task bar. Apparently it doesn't know that another firewall is
running. This didn't happen in XP. How can I get rid of the alert as long
as ZA is actually running?
Rock

Re: Eliminating Windows Security Alert
"harmonp" <harmonp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I am running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Windows Vista firewall is turned
> off. Nevertheless the Windows Security Alert red shield continues to
> display
> in the task bar. Apparently it doesn't know that another firewall is
> running. This didn't happen in XP. How can I get rid of the alert as
> long
> as ZA is actually running?

From the security center in the left pane, change the way Security Center
alerts me.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Judy Goggy Tiller

RE: Eliminating Windows Security Alert

--
Judy Tiller

"harmonp" wrote:

> I am running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Windows Vista firewall is turned
> off. Nevertheless the Windows Security Alert red shield continues to display
> in the task bar. Apparently it doesn't know that another firewall is
> running. This didn't happen in XP. How can I get rid of the alert as long
> as ZA is actually running?

Judy Goggy Tiller

"harmonp" wrote:

> I am running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Windows Vista firewall is turned
> off. Nevertheless the Windows Security Alert red shield continues to display
> in the task bar. Apparently it doesn't know that another firewall is
> running. This didn't happen in XP. How can I get rid of the alert as long
> as ZA is actually running?

Judy Goggy Tiller

"Rock" wrote:

> "harmonp" <harmonp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >I am running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Windows Vista firewall is turned
> > off. Nevertheless the Windows Security Alert red shield continues to
> > display
> > in the task bar. Apparently it doesn't know that another firewall is
> > running. This didn't happen in XP. How can I get rid of the alert as
> > long
> > as ZA is actually running?

> From the security center in the left pane, change the way Security Center
> alerts me.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Michael D. Ober

"Judy "Goggy" Tiller" <jtiller2007@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> --
> Judy Tiller
>

> "harmonp" wrote:
>
>> I am running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Windows Vista firewall is
>> turned
>> off. Nevertheless the Windows Security Alert red shield continues to
>> display
>> in the task bar. Apparently it doesn't know that another firewall is
>> running. This didn't happen in XP. How can I get rid of the alert as
>> long
>> as ZA is actually running?

Upgrade your Zone Alarm. Chances are the version you have isn't Vista aware
and isn't hooking into the Windows Security Center. If you have the current
version, deinstall it, reboot to safe mode to delete any remaining files,
and then reboot and reinstall.

Mike.

StephenB

"Michael D. Ober" <obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam.> wrote:

>"Judy "Goggy" Tiller" <jtiller2007@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> --
>> Judy Tiller
>>

>> "harmonp" wrote:
>>
>>> I am running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Windows Vista firewall is
>>> turned
>>> off. Nevertheless the Windows Security Alert red shield continues to
>>> display
>>> in the task bar. Apparently it doesn't know that another firewall is
>>> running. This didn't happen in XP. How can I get rid of the alert as
>>> long
>>> as ZA is actually running?

>Upgrade your Zone Alarm. Chances are the version you have isn't Vista aware
>and isn't hooking into the Windows Security Center. If you have the current
>version, deinstall it, reboot to safe mode to delete any remaining files,
>and then reboot and reinstall.
>
>Mike.

The following may help if the WMI database used by the Security Center is
corrupt and not reporting your protection status correctly:

Run a cmd prompt as administrator.
type the following command:* winmgmt /verifyrepository
if the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent"
run this command:* winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail.* It will issue stop commands to the
services causing it to fail.* It might take a couple minutes for the services to
shut down.* Run the command again.* I actually ran it 3 times before it finally
ran and completed on its own.

Reboot your system.

or

Another a solution (provided by Mark L. in another venue)* that is reported to
work for both XP and Vista:

This trick for fixing that issue in XP apparently works in Vista, too. In
Vista you probably need to run elevated. There are two ways of doing the
same thing - the first way is using the gui and the second way is from the
command line. Your choice. Set a System Restore point first.
Method A
Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
Scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and double-click it.
Now click on the "Pause" button. Leave that window open and double-click
My Computer. Navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\System32\wbem (where
%systemroot% is the drive where XP is installed). Delete the Repository
folder and *only* the Repository folder. Now go back to the WMI service
window you left open and restart the service.
This will rebuild the Repository and hopefully straighten out the
incorrect entries for all your duplicates.
In order to see the Windows files, you may need to unhide them:
Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
in Folder Options).
Check "Display the contents of system folders".
Check "Show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and click "OK" to the
dialog box.

Method B from MVP Torgeir Bakken (more elegant)
Open a command window (Start/Run --> cmd.exe) and run the following commands:
net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
(or*delete it using the command "rd /s repository" instead of the ren command)
net start winmgmt
It may take a minute or so to complete while WMI rebuilds the database.

-steve

--
Stephen Boots
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live