Did I remove Norton Firewall?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

LewBob

Did I remove Norton Firewall?
I used Norton Removal Tool and then manually deleted all references in the
Register that I could find for "Norton" and "Symantec." Windows Security
Center still reports that both Windows Firewall and Norton Internet Security
are turned on. Norton came preinstalled on my new laptop, and I want to get
rid of it. I still can't kill the beast. What more can I do to delete all of
Norton's hooks? Help greatly appreciated.

Lew

dean-dean

Re: Did I remove Norton Firewall?
Try this:

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", run this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
services to shut down. Run the command again. You actually may have to run
it 3 times before it finally runs and completes on its own.

Reboot your system.

"LewBob" <lewisNOSPAM.mccool@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I used Norton Removal Tool and then manually deleted all references in the
>Register that I could find for "Norton" and "Symantec." Windows Security
>Center still reports that both Windows Firewall and Norton Internet
>Security are turned on. Norton came preinstalled on my new laptop, and I
>want to get rid of it. I still can't kill the beast. What more can I do to
>delete all of Norton's hooks? Help greatly appreciated.
>
> Lew

Rock

Re: Did I remove Norton Firewall?
"LewBob" <lewisNOSPAM.mccool@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I used Norton Removal Tool and then manually deleted all references in the
>Register that I could find for "Norton" and "Symantec." Windows Security
>Center still reports that both Windows Firewall and Norton Internet
>Security are turned on. Norton came preinstalled on my new laptop, and I
>want to get rid of it. I still can't kill the beast. What more can I do to
>delete all of Norton's hooks? Help greatly appreciated.

From a post by MVP Malke, this has helped some:

Open a command window (Start/Run --> cmd.exe) and run the following
commands:

net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

(or alternatively delete it using the command "rd /s repository" instead
of the ren command)

You probably need to run cmd elevated. If you want a graphical way
instead of the command line:

Start>Run>services.msc [enter]

Scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and double-click it.
Now click on the "Pause" button. Leave that window open and double-click
My Computer. Navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\System32\wbem (where
%systemroot% is the drive where XP is installed). Delete the Repository
folder and *only* the Repository folder. Now go back to the WMI service
window you left open and restart the service.

This will rebuild the Repository and hopefully straighten out the
incorrect entries for all your duplicates.

In order to see the Windows files, you may need to unhide them:

Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
in Folder Options from the Control Panel).

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

LewBob

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "LewBob" <lewisNOSPAM.mccool@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I used Norton Removal Tool and then manually deleted all references in the
>>Register that I could find for "Norton" and "Symantec." Windows Security
>>Center still reports that both Windows Firewall and Norton Internet
>>Security are turned on. Norton came preinstalled on my new laptop, and I
>>want to get rid of it. I still can't kill the beast. What more can I do to
>>delete all of Norton's hooks? Help greatly appreciated.

> From a post by MVP Malke, this has helped some:
>
> Open a command window (Start/Run --> cmd.exe) and run the following
> commands:
>
> net stop winmgmt
> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
> ren repository repository.old
> net start winmgmt
>
> (or alternatively delete it using the command "rd /s repository" instead
> of the ren command)
>
> You probably need to run cmd elevated. If you want a graphical way
> instead of the command line:
>
> Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
>
> Scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and double-click it.
> Now click on the "Pause" button. Leave that window open and double-click
> My Computer. Navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\System32\wbem (where
> %systemroot% is the drive where XP is installed). Delete the Repository
> folder and *only* the Repository folder. Now go back to the WMI service
> window you left open and restart the service.
>
> This will rebuild the Repository and hopefully straighten out the
> incorrect entries for all your duplicates.
>
> In order to see the Windows files, you may need to unhide them:
>
> Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
> in Folder Options from the Control Panel).
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Thanks, Rock. I opted for the last technique (services.msc). It worked with
no apparent hitch or complication.

FYI, the winmgmt /verifyrepository technique suggested by dean-dean reported
a consistent repository, so I did not try that option.

Maybe now I won't encounter Norton for awhile.

Lew

Rock

Re: Did I remove Norton Firewall?
"LewBob" <lewisNOSPAM.mccool@gmail.com> wrote

<snip>

> Thanks, Rock. I opted for the last technique (services.msc). It worked
> with no apparent hitch or complication.
>
> FYI, the winmgmt /verifyrepository technique suggested by dean-dean
> reported a consistent repository, so I did not try that option.
>
> Maybe now I won't encounter Norton for awhile.

Great, glad it resolved your issue and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]