Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Peter

Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
I did all the prep to get Bitlocker working without a TPM-enabled M/B and
the wizard starts, the key is successfully stored on my USB U3 drive (which
the BIOS sees as a hard drive and USB booting is enabled - Intel D865GBF
M/B) and after the reboot the error comes up as shown:

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Richard

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
"Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I did all the prep to get Bitlocker working without a TPM-enabled M/B and
> the wizard starts, the key is successfully stored on my USB U3 drive
> (which
> the BIOS sees as a hard drive and USB booting is enabled - Intel D865GBF
> M/B) and after the reboot the error comes up as shown:

Is Bitlocker happy when multi-booting different OS's?
I don't know, but maybe it's worth a look.
I have Bitlocker running here with no TPM using a flash drive.
Also, don't U3 drives have special formatting or software or something? I
have one but formatted it clean in windows to get rid of it.

Peter

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
The only reason I'm trying for bitlocker is so that XP will stop wiping out
Vista's restore points.
There isn't too much info out there about using it in a multi-boot
environment.

--
"Richard" <notmyreal@ddress.com> wrote in message
> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I did all the prep to get Bitlocker working without a TPM-enabled M/B and
>> the wizard starts, the key is successfully stored on my USB U3 drive
>> (which
>> the BIOS sees as a hard drive and USB booting is enabled - Intel D865GBF
>> M/B) and after the reboot the error comes up as shown:

> Is Bitlocker happy when multi-booting different OS's?
> I don't know, but maybe it's worth a look.
> I have Bitlocker running here with no TPM using a flash drive.
> Also, don't U3 drives have special formatting or software or something? I
> have one but formatted it clean in windows to get rid of it.

Peter Foldes

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
Peter

You cannot solve this with bitlocker.

This is a know bug and have to wait for MS or somebody to come up with a fix.

--
Peter

"Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02389C2E-DC23-421B-ABA9-0C2017D2A3B4@microsoft.com...
> The only reason I'm trying for bitlocker is so that XP will stop wiping out
> Vista's restore points.
> There isn't too much info out there about using it in a multi-boot
> environment.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
> "Richard" <notmyreal@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I did all the prep to get Bitlocker working without a TPM-enabled M/B and
>>> the wizard starts, the key is successfully stored on my USB U3 drive
>>> (which
>>> the BIOS sees as a hard drive and USB booting is enabled - Intel D865GBF
>>> M/B) and after the reboot the error comes up as shown:

>> Is Bitlocker happy when multi-booting different OS's?
>> I don't know, but maybe it's worth a look.
>> I have Bitlocker running here with no TPM using a flash drive.
>> Also, don't U3 drives have special formatting or software or something? I
>> have one but formatted it clean in windows to get rid of it.

Peter

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
Bitlocker would prevent it according to Microsoft, however they indicated
that it is unlikely to be fixed as it involves a huge re-write of code.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that XP SP3 may have a fix for it, or Vista
SP1, but I doubt it will.
When I spoke to them they didn't seem to think that us multi-booters
constitute a big enough group to warrant it.

--
Peter

You cannot solve this with bitlocker.

This is a know bug and have to wait for MS or somebody to come up with a
fix.

--
Peter

"Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The only reason I'm trying for bitlocker is so that XP will stop wiping
> out
> Vista's restore points.
> There isn't too much info out there about using it in a multi-boot
> environment.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
> "Richard" <notmyreal@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I did all the prep to get Bitlocker working without a TPM-enabled M/B and
>>> the wizard starts, the key is successfully stored on my USB U3 drive
>>> (which
>>> the BIOS sees as a hard drive and USB booting is enabled - Intel D865GBF
>>> M/B) and after the reboot the error comes up as shown:

>> Is Bitlocker happy when multi-booting different OS's?
>> I don't know, but maybe it's worth a look.
>> I have Bitlocker running here with no TPM using a flash drive.
>> Also, don't U3 drives have special formatting or software or something?
>> have one but formatted it clean in windows to get rid of it.

Dennis Pack

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
Peter:
I run BitLocker on my multi-boot systems and laptops without a TPM
chip using a USB key. BitLocker will work fully on PATA or SATA hard drives
but partially function on raid arrays. I followed the user guide at
"http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/c61f2a12-8ae6-4957-b031-97b4d762cf311033.mspx?mfr=true"
when I setup each system. Using BitLocker does save the Vista restore points
and shadow copies when dual booting. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

> Bitlocker would prevent it according to Microsoft, however they indicated
> that it is unlikely to be fixed as it involves a huge re-write of code.
> I'm keeping my fingers crossed that XP SP3 may have a fix for it, or Vista
> SP1, but I doubt it will.
> When I spoke to them they didn't seem to think that us multi-booters
> constitute a big enough group to warrant it.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Peter
>
> You cannot solve this with bitlocker.
>
> This is a know bug and have to wait for MS or somebody to come up with a
> fix.
>
> --
> Peter

> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The only reason I'm trying for bitlocker is so that XP will stop wiping
>> out
>> Vista's restore points.
>> There isn't too much info out there about using it in a multi-boot
>> environment.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
>> "Richard" <notmyreal@ddress.com> wrote in message
>>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Is Bitlocker happy when multi-booting different OS's?
>>> I don't know, but maybe it's worth a look.
>>> I have Bitlocker running here with no TPM using a flash drive.
>>> Also, don't U3 drives have special formatting or software or something?
>>> have one but formatted it clean in windows to get rid of it.

Peter

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
Well I wonder why it isn't reading the key from my USB drive. The BIOS
sees the drive OK. I wonder if its the McAfee USB that's stopping it?

--
"Dennis Pack" <dennispack@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Peter:
> I run BitLocker on my multi-boot systems and laptops without a TPM
> chip using a USB key. BitLocker will work fully on PATA or SATA hard
> drives but partially function on raid arrays. I followed the user guide at
> "http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/c61f2a12-8ae6-4957-b031-97b4d762cf311033.mspx?mfr=true"
> when I setup each system. Using BitLocker does save the Vista restore
> points and shadow copies when dual booting. Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
> Office Prof. Plus 2007
>
> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Bitlocker would prevent it according to Microsoft, however they indicated
>> that it is unlikely to be fixed as it involves a huge re-write of code.
>> I'm keeping my fingers crossed that XP SP3 may have a fix for it, or
>> Vista SP1, but I doubt it will.
>> When I spoke to them they didn't seem to think that us multi-booters
>> constitute a big enough group to warrant it.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Peter
>>
>> You cannot solve this with bitlocker.
>>
>> This is a know bug and have to wait for MS or somebody to come up with a
>> fix.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> The only reason I'm trying for bitlocker is so that XP will stop wiping
>>> out
>>> Vista's restore points.
>>> There isn't too much info out there about using it in a multi-boot
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Toronto, Canada
>>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics

Peter

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
By the way, I ran the BL prep tool and it supposedly set everything up
ready. I don't see that mysterious 1.5gb partition they are talking about
though. My Vista is on a seperate HD (Drive#1 partition 1 with a blank
partition I prepared after it. Originally it was going to be the backup
partition. They are 132 and 100 gb respectively).

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
"Dennis Pack" <dennispack@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Peter:
> I run BitLocker on my multi-boot systems and laptops without a TPM
> chip using a USB key. BitLocker will work fully on PATA or SATA hard
> drives but partially function on raid arrays. I followed the user guide at
> "http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/c61f2a12-8ae6-4957-b031-97b4d762cf311033.mspx?mfr=true"
> when I setup each system. Using BitLocker does save the Vista restore
> points and shadow copies when dual booting. Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
> Office Prof. Plus 2007
>
> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Bitlocker would prevent it according to Microsoft, however they indicated
>> that it is unlikely to be fixed as it involves a huge re-write of code.
>> I'm keeping my fingers crossed that XP SP3 may have a fix for it, or
>> Vista SP1, but I doubt it will.
>> When I spoke to them they didn't seem to think that us multi-booters
>> constitute a big enough group to warrant it.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Peter
>>
>> You cannot solve this with bitlocker.
>>
>> This is a know bug and have to wait for MS or somebody to come up with a
>> fix.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> The only reason I'm trying for bitlocker is so that XP will stop wiping
>>> out
>>> Vista's restore points.
>>> There isn't too much info out there about using it in a multi-boot
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Toronto, Canada
>>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics

Dennis Pack

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
Peter:
I'm using a small USB stick that I formatted FAT and another that I
formatted NTFS without problems. Some USB sticks have security or other
programs installed that can effect booting or being read during the boot
process. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

> Well I wonder why it isn't reading the key from my USB drive. The BIOS
> sees the drive OK. I wonder if its the McAfee USB that's stopping it?
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
> "Dennis Pack" <dennispack@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Peter:
>> I run BitLocker on my multi-boot systems and laptops without a TPM
>> chip using a USB key. BitLocker will work fully on PATA or SATA hard
>> drives but partially function on raid arrays. I followed the user guide
>> at
>> "http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/c61f2a12-8ae6-4957-b031-97b4d762cf311033.mspx?mfr=true"
>> when I setup each system. Using BitLocker does save the Vista restore
>> points and shadow copies when dual booting. Have a great day.
>>
>> --
>> Dennis Pack
>> XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
>> Office Prof. Plus 2007
>>
>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Bitlocker would prevent it according to Microsoft, however they
>>> indicated that it is unlikely to be fixed as it involves a huge re-write
>>> of code.
>>> I'm keeping my fingers crossed that XP SP3 may have a fix for it, or
>>> Vista SP1, but I doubt it will.
>>> When I spoke to them they didn't seem to think that us multi-booters
>>> constitute a big enough group to warrant it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Toronto, Canada
>>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate Triple Boot
>>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
>>> Soundblaster Audigy 4 PCI Sound
>>> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP Graphics
>>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> You cannot solve this with bitlocker.
>>>
>>> This is a know bug and have to wait for MS or somebody to come up with a
>>> fix.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

Dennis Pack

Re: Bitlocker - anyone got it to work using USB flash drive?
Peter:
Format the USB stick then copy the key to the USB.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64