Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2007
jollyscholar
 

Posts: n/a
Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!
I am at my wit’s end! I frequently get _certificate has been revoked_ for no
reason. I even got it when trying to register for posting on THIS site!!!

I have gone into Internet Options/Security and tried re-setting the security
as low as it will go, to no avail.

It also happened when I tried to sign up for Instant Messenger – I
downloaded everything, careful to use the version recommended especially for
Vista, but when I went to establish a screen name, I got the same message.

The sites I am having the problem with are not fly-by-night merchants – it
is places like Amazon.com, etc.

On the advice of someone, I tried the following, but the problem is now
worse than ever - I can't even log into "My Google" homepage!!!

· On the Security tab, reset each of the zones to their default level.

· On the General tab, in the Browsing History section, click Delete. On the
Delete Browsing History window that opens, delete your temporary internet
files and also your cookies. When you do this, you may find that on some
sites you need to reenter your username and password.

· On the Content tab, click the Clear SSL State button to clear the current
certificate state.

Close Internet Explorer and then restart it.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2007
Mac
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!
Try using Firefox instead of IE7... and this is not a site it's a USENET
newsgroup...

"jollyscholar" <jollyscholar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6350CBE6-60C2-4999-9FE4-77D6C035C661@microsoft.com...
>I am at my wit’s end! I frequently get _certificate has been revoked_ for
>no
> reason. I even got it when trying to register for posting on THIS site!!!
>
> I have gone into Internet Options/Security and tried re-setting the
> security
> as low as it will go, to no avail.
>
> It also happened when I tried to sign up for Instant Messenger – I
> downloaded everything, careful to use the version recommended especially
> for
> Vista, but when I went to establish a screen name, I got the same message.
>
> The sites I am having the problem with are not fly-by-night merchants – it
> is places like Amazon.com, etc.
>
> On the advice of someone, I tried the following, but the problem is now
> worse than ever - I can't even log into "My Google" homepage!!!
>
> · On the Security tab, reset each of the zones to their default level.
>
> · On the General tab, in the Browsing History section, click Delete. On
> the
> Delete Browsing History window that opens, delete your temporary internet
> files and also your cookies. When you do this, you may find that on some
> sites you need to reenter your username and password.
>
> · On the Content tab, click the Clear SSL State button to clear the
> current
> certificate state.
>
> Close Internet Explorer and then restart it.
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2007
Porkribs
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!
Try this
IE7 > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Untick Check for Server
Certificate Revocation

"jollyscholar" wrote:

> I am at my wit’s end! I frequently get _certificate has been revoked_ for no
> reason. I even got it when trying to register for posting on THIS site!!!
>
> I have gone into Internet Options/Security and tried re-setting the security
> as low as it will go, to no avail.
>
> It also happened when I tried to sign up for Instant Messenger – I
> downloaded everything, careful to use the version recommended especially for
> Vista, but when I went to establish a screen name, I got the same message.
>
> The sites I am having the problem with are not fly-by-night merchants – it
> is places like Amazon.com, etc.
>
> On the advice of someone, I tried the following, but the problem is now
> worse than ever - I can't even log into "My Google" homepage!!!
>
> · On the Security tab, reset each of the zones to their default level.
>
> · On the General tab, in the Browsing History section, click Delete. On the
> Delete Browsing History window that opens, delete your temporary internet
> files and also your cookies. When you do this, you may find that on some
> sites you need to reenter your username and password.
>
> · On the Content tab, click the Clear SSL State button to clear the current
> certificate state.
>
> Close Internet Explorer and then restart it.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2007
jollyscholar
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!
I tried what you said (several times over several days) and it only works
once each time - the browser won't remember the setting... Although it does
seem to help the one time on the one site, this "fix" has no effect on
subsequent sites visited.

-Still highly frustrated

"Porkribs" wrote:

> Try this
> IE7 > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Untick Check for Server
> Certificate Revocation
>
> "jollyscholar" wrote:
>
> > I am at my wit’s end! I frequently get _certificate has been revoked_ for no
> > reason. I even got it when trying to register for posting on THIS site!!!
> >
> > I have gone into Internet Options/Security and tried re-setting the security
> > as low as it will go, to no avail.
> >
> > It also happened when I tried to sign up for Instant Messenger – I
> > downloaded everything, careful to use the version recommended especially for
> > Vista, but when I went to establish a screen name, I got the same message.
> >
> > The sites I am having the problem with are not fly-by-night merchants – it
> > is places like Amazon.com, etc.
> >
> > On the advice of someone, I tried the following, but the problem is now
> > worse than ever - I can't even log into "My Google" homepage!!!
> >
> > · On the Security tab, reset each of the zones to their default level.
> >
> > · On the General tab, in the Browsing History section, click Delete. On the
> > Delete Browsing History window that opens, delete your temporary internet
> > files and also your cookies. When you do this, you may find that on some
> > sites you need to reenter your username and password.
> >
> > · On the Content tab, click the Clear SSL State button to clear the current
> > certificate state.
> >
> > Close Internet Explorer and then restart it.
> >

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007
The Sand
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!

I keep having this too. I did control panel, Security, Internet
Options, Advanced and then under security (about half way down the list)
I unchecked the box that said, "Check for Pulishers certificate revoked"
and unchecked the box that said, "Check for server certificate revoked."
I exited out of the internet and then went back and everything has been
fine since. I actually went on here tonight to see if this was a "safe"
way to go around the revoked certificate problem... I wanted to make
sure I did the right thing. As of now I haven't seen anything else that
sounded like a better idea yet. I have heard people say it's Norton 360
but I have Norton 360 on both my Vista computer and my XP computer and
the one with XP doesn't have any problem accessing the websites Vista
says the certificate has been revoked on... thus it's not Norton. I
hope this helps you I was frustrated too. I'm still wondering if there
is a better solution though than disabling what might be a good security
option though...


--
The Sand
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007
jollyscholar
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!
Thanks for your reply - I have had some relief from the frustration recently
in that as long as I go in a few times a day and re-uncheck the box about
checking for certificate revocation, I can get where I need to go online. I
think that, bottom line, we can all agree that Vista *is* the antichrist;
there's little doubt left on that score now.

"The Sand" wrote:

>
> I keep having this too. I did control panel, Security, Internet
> Options, Advanced and then under security (about half way down the list)
> I unchecked the box that said, "Check for Pulishers certificate revoked"
> and unchecked the box that said, "Check for server certificate revoked."
> I exited out of the internet and then went back and everything has been
> fine since. I actually went on here tonight to see if this was a "safe"
> way to go around the revoked certificate problem... I wanted to make
> sure I did the right thing. As of now I haven't seen anything else that
> sounded like a better idea yet. I have heard people say it's Norton 360
> but I have Norton 360 on both my Vista computer and my XP computer and
> the one with XP doesn't have any problem accessing the websites Vista
> says the certificate has been revoked on... thus it's not Norton. I
> hope this helps you I was frustrated too. I'm still wondering if there
> is a better solution though than disabling what might be a good security
> option though...
>
>
> --
> The Sand
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!
"The Sand" <The.Sand.2t6kad@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:The.Sand.2t6kad@no-mx.forums.net...
> I keep having this too. I did control panel, Security, Internet
> Options, Advanced and then under security (about half way down the list)
> I unchecked the box that said, "Check for Pulishers certificate revoked"
> and unchecked the box that said, "Check for server certificate revoked."


Does the dialog box pop up if only one of these is unchecked, and the other
one checked? I'm intrigued as to whose certificate is being checked.

"Certificate Revoked" is a very specific message - not "certificate
expired", or "unable to check for revocation" - if the revocation check is
written correctly, and the error message is not overly specific,
"Certificate Revoked" should mean that your browser, behind the scenes,
connected to a site that told you very specifically that a certificate (the
web site's, or the certificate authority's) had been revoked. Not just
expired, but revoked. That seems a little wonky.

> I exited out of the internet and then went back and everything has been
> fine since. I actually went on here tonight to see if this was a "safe"
> way to go around the revoked certificate problem... I wanted to make
> sure I did the right thing. As of now I haven't seen anything else that
> sounded like a better idea yet. I have heard people say it's Norton 360
> but I have Norton 360 on both my Vista computer and my XP computer and
> the one with XP doesn't have any problem accessing the websites Vista
> says the certificate has been revoked on... thus it's not Norton.


Oh, please - what makes you think that it's not an issue with, say, Norton
360 not being completely compatible with Vista?

Have you _tried_ uninstalling / disabling Norton on the Vista machine?

> I
> hope this helps you I was frustrated too. I'm still wondering if there
> is a better solution though than disabling what might be a good security
> option though...


Try disabling Norton instead. That way you're not "disabling what might be a
good security option"

Alun.
~~~~

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!
<alun@texis.invalid> wrote in message
news:826C6267-42F8-46C2-8814-8CAC129D9F99@microsoft.com...
> "The Sand" <The.Sand.2t6kad@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:The.Sand.2t6kad@no-mx.forums.net...
>> I exited out of the internet and then went back and everything has been
>> fine since. I actually went on here tonight to see if this was a "safe"
>> way to go around the revoked certificate problem... I wanted to make
>> sure I did the right thing. As of now I haven't seen anything else that
>> sounded like a better idea yet. I have heard people say it's Norton 360
>> but I have Norton 360 on both my Vista computer and my XP computer and
>> the one with XP doesn't have any problem accessing the websites Vista
>> says the certificate has been revoked on... thus it's not Norton.

>
> Oh, please - what makes you think that it's not an issue with, say, Norton
> 360 not being completely compatible with Vista?
>
> Have you _tried_ uninstalling / disabling Norton on the Vista machine?



Oh, well now, hey, look what happens if you go to Symantec's web site, and
search for "norton 360 vista revoked"...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...4?OpenDocument

This says that if you get the 'certificate revoked', it's Norton 360's
fault, and you can run LiveUpdate to get it fixed.

Alun.
~~~~

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2007
The Sand
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!

My Vista crahsed and after Microsoft got me through it I had Norton come
on and get my 360 running again and since then (just a few days really)
I haven't had any touble accessing websites that were giving me a
problem. And both those boxes regading revoked certificates are now
checked. So, maybe this problem is now resolved...


--
The Sand
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
letmein
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Aargh! Keep Getting "Certificate Revoked" Messages!

Since the original message has been cross-posted to so many other sites,
I'll post these same replies to some of the other ones in hopes it can
help someone.

If you are having a problem accessing just one or a few sites with a
"certificate revoked" message, and the problem is only occurring with
IE7 and Vista, then this info might help out:

I faced this problem when I was trying to setup an online store. I kept
looking through various bits of info that said Norton 360 was the
problem or to enable the option to allow revoked certificates. But I
knew it wasn't any of that, as the problem was only happening with a
combination of Vista, IE7, and the website.

The solution was to insert a reverse DNS lookup entry for the website
that was being hosted. The IP address for the site had no reverse
lookup.

-Daniel


--
letmein
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retaining "replied to" & other symbols when moving messages to Vis travelshooter microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 4 08-14-2007 23:26
Many "Certificate Services Client" error messages (task doesn't st Paul microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 0 06-25-2007 13:36
2 Questions, "read" messages and deleting messages TonyR microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 5 06-13-2007 01:20
Certificate revoked Paul microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 3 05-31-2007 15:59
WM5 Sync with Vista "Windows Calender", "Contacts", and "Mail" =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-17-2007 01:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120