Cannot turn UAC off

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Frederick Lamartin

Cannot turn UAC off
As Vista Help directs, to disable UAC, I uncheck 'Use User Account Control'
in my account (Administrator) in the User Accounts area of Control Panel.
This action does not work. UAC remains active. Why? What do?

I have tried to get at security policy by means of secpol.msc, but can not
find it.

--

Sent by Frederick H. Lamartin
fhlamartin@verizon.net
Mr. Arnold

Re: Cannot turn UAC off

"Frederick Lamartin" <fhlamartin@verizon.net> wrote in message
> As Vista Help directs, to disable UAC, I uncheck 'Use User Account
> Control' in my account (Administrator) in the User Accounts area of
> Control Panel. This action does not work. UAC remains active. Why? What
> do?
>
> I have tried to get at security policy by means of secpol.msc, but can not
> find it.

Use MSconfig at the Run Box and you'll see the Tools Tab.

Kevin Hicks

RE: Cannot turn UAC off
If I'm correct, you are using Vista Home (Basic or Premium), which does not
include such useful features that it should.

You do need to reboot the computer once you have selected to disable UAC. If
that still doesn't work, go to Run, type in 'regedit' and look for the
following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Once you have that key (or folder, if you want to call it that) open, find
the DWORD value, 'EnableULA' and set it to zero (0). If that still doesn't
work, find 'ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin' and set that to zero as well. Reboot
your computer and UAC should be off. If not, I don't know what to tell you.
Tell me if it works, and if not, how you fixed it if at all. Thank you.

"Frederick Lamartin" wrote:

> As Vista Help directs, to disable UAC, I uncheck 'Use User Account Control'
> in my account (Administrator) in the User Accounts area of Control Panel.
> This action does not work. UAC remains active. Why? What do?
>
> I have tried to get at security policy by means of secpol.msc, but can not
> find it.
>
> --
>
> Sent by Frederick H. Lamartin
> fhlamartin@verizon.net

Spirit

Re: Cannot turn UAC off
http://www.tweak-uac.com/
Great little free program for turning UAC OFF and ON

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa906022.aspx

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...9f44e1033.mspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905108.aspx

"Frederick Lamartin" <fhlamartin@verizon.net> wrote in message
> As Vista Help directs, to disable UAC, I uncheck 'Use User Account
> Control' in my account (Administrator) in the User Accounts area of
> Control Panel. This action does not work. UAC remains active. Why? What
> do?
>
> I have tried to get at security policy by means of secpol.msc, but can not
> find it.
>
> --
>
> Sent by Frederick H. Lamartin
> fhlamartin@verizon.net

Frederick Lamartin

Re: Cannot turn UAC off
Your suggestion worked. Thanks.
One should not have to use the approach you suggested, but should be able to
use the Vista dialogues. Do you thing Microsoft knows of the inadequacy. If
not, who can get the word to them and how? Perhaps they could fix this
inadequacy.

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

> "Frederick Lamartin" <fhlamartin@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> As Vista Help directs, to disable UAC, I uncheck 'Use User Account
>> Control' in my account (Administrator) in the User Accounts area of
>> Control Panel. This action does not work. UAC remains active. Why? What
>> do?
>>
>> I have tried to get at security policy by means of secpol.msc, but can
>> not find it.
>>

> Use MSconfig at the Run Box and you'll see the Tools Tab.

Frederick Lamartin

Re: Cannot turn UAC off
Your suggestion worked. I would hope that someday one could enable and
disable UAC from within Vista. Do you think Microsoft knows of this
inadequacy of Vista? If not, who/how can one get the word to them, so that
someday they might correct the problem?

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

> "Frederick Lamartin" <fhlamartin@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> As Vista Help directs, to disable UAC, I uncheck 'Use User Account
>> Control' in my account (Administrator) in the User Accounts area of
>> Control Panel. This action does not work. UAC remains active. Why? What
>> do?
>>
>> I have tried to get at security policy by means of secpol.msc, but can
>> not find it.
>>

> Use MSconfig at the Run Box and you'll see the Tools Tab.

Frederick Lamartin

Re: Cannot turn UAC off
I disabled UAC by means of the disable UAC command under the Tools tab of
msconfig. I probably will be able to reenable UAC via the Tools tab.

I probably will not check the Registry. I try to avoid RegEdit because of
the potential for major mistakes.

"Kevin Hicks" <KevinHicks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I'm correct, you are using Vista Home (Basic or Premium), which does
> not
> include such useful features that it should.
>
> You do need to reboot the computer once you have selected to disable UAC.
> If
> that still doesn't work, go to Run, type in 'regedit' and look for the
> following key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
>
> Once you have that key (or folder, if you want to call it that) open, find
> the DWORD value, 'EnableULA' and set it to zero (0). If that still doesn't
> work, find 'ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin' and set that to zero as well.
> Reboot
> your computer and UAC should be off. If not, I don't know what to tell
> you.
> Tell me if it works, and if not, how you fixed it if at all. Thank you.
>
> "Frederick Lamartin" wrote:
>
>> As Vista Help directs, to disable UAC, I uncheck 'Use User Account
>> Control'
>> in my account (Administrator) in the User Accounts area of Control Panel.
>> This action does not work. UAC remains active. Why? What do?
>>
>> I have tried to get at security policy by means of secpol.msc, but can
>> not
>> find it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Sent by Frederick H. Lamartin
>> fhlamartin@verizon.net

Frederick Lamartin

Re: Cannot turn UAC off
Thanks for you help. I have downloaded tweak-uac.