Standard user needs regedit UAC prompt

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Kevin Hicks

Standard user needs regedit UAC prompt
Hello.

The term 'Admin' is the main administrator on the computer (run by a person,
not the actual 'Administrator' hidden account).

Here's what's happening:
I am NOT an administrator on my family's computer. The Admin, however, is a
control freak. I am not supposed to know my own password to my account, but I
do anyway and the Admin doesn't know that. I have opened backdoors to give
myself administrative priviledges if need be. I have created a hidden user
(my Admin is an idiot with computers) that has administrative priviledges
that is covered up by a value in the registry. I have set myself special
priviledges on the key to edit values in it without havin 'elevated'
priviledges. But now the entire application wants me to enter my own password
to do anything to it (and it doesn't give me administrative priviledges, it
just opens the thing). Normally, standard users don't need to type their
password with UAC to open it, but I do (and i used to not to need it), and
another standard user doesn't and can open it without a problem. If the Admin
changes the password on the computer, I am SCREWED. Is there any way to stop
UAC for asking me my password with regedit? I do know the Admin password for
now, so that's not a problem. I really need a smart feller to help me here.
Not most people know how to fix this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time
Rock

Re: Standard user needs regedit UAC prompt
"Kevin Hicks" wrote
> Hello.
>
> The term 'Admin' is the main administrator on the computer (run by a
> person,
> not the actual 'Administrator' hidden account).
>
> Here's what's happening:
> I am NOT an administrator on my family's computer. The Admin, however, is
> control freak. I am not supposed to know my own password to my account,
> but I
> do anyway and the Admin doesn't know that. I have opened backdoors to give
> myself administrative priviledges if need be. I have created a hidden user
> (my Admin is an idiot with computers) that has administrative priviledges
> that is covered up by a value in the registry. I have set myself special
> priviledges on the key to edit values in it without havin 'elevated'
> priviledges. But now the entire application wants me to enter my own
> password
> to do anything to it (and it doesn't give me administrative priviledges,
> it
> just opens the thing). Normally, standard users don't need to type their
> password with UAC to open it, but I do (and i used to not to need it), and
> another standard user doesn't and can open it without a problem. If the
> Admin
> changes the password on the computer, I am SCREWED. Is there any way to
> stop
> UAC for asking me my password with regedit? I do know the Admin password
> for
> now, so that's not a problem. I really need a smart feller to help me
> here.
> Not most people know how to fix this. Any input would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thank you for your time

Regedit needs admin privileges. If it's started from an account that has
admin privileges then the user has to give consent, if from a standard user
account credentials are required.

Who owns the computer?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Bruce Chambers

Kevin Hicks wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The term 'Admin' is the main administrator on the computer (run by a person,
> not the actual 'Administrator' hidden account).
>
> Here's what's happening:
> I am NOT an administrator on my family's computer. The Admin, however, is a
> control freak. I am not supposed to know my own password to my account, but I
> do anyway and the Admin doesn't know that. I have opened backdoors to give
> myself administrative priviledges if need be. I have created a hidden user
> (my Admin is an idiot with computers) that has administrative priviledges
> that is covered up by a value in the registry. I have set myself special
> priviledges on the key to edit values in it without havin 'elevated'
> priviledges. But now the entire application wants me to enter my own password
> to do anything to it (and it doesn't give me administrative priviledges, it
> just opens the thing). Normally, standard users don't need to type their
> password with UAC to open it, but I do (and i used to not to need it), and
> another standard user doesn't and can open it without a problem. If the Admin
> changes the password on the computer, I am SCREWED. Is there any way to stop
> UAC for asking me my password with regedit? I do know the Admin password for
> now, so that's not a problem. I really need a smart feller to help me here.
> Not most people know how to fix this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you for your time

Ask your parents for assistance.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Kevin Hicks

Re: Standard user needs regedit UAC prompt
oh dear God, no.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Kevin Hicks wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > The term 'Admin' is the main administrator on the computer (run by a person,
> > not the actual 'Administrator' hidden account).
> >
> > Here's what's happening:
> > I am NOT an administrator on my family's computer. The Admin, however, is a
> > control freak. I am not supposed to know my own password to my account, but I
> > do anyway and the Admin doesn't know that. I have opened backdoors to give
> > myself administrative priviledges if need be. I have created a hidden user
> > (my Admin is an idiot with computers) that has administrative priviledges
> > that is covered up by a value in the registry. I have set myself special
> > priviledges on the key to edit values in it without havin 'elevated'
> > priviledges. But now the entire application wants me to enter my own password
> > to do anything to it (and it doesn't give me administrative priviledges, it
> > just opens the thing). Normally, standard users don't need to type their
> > password with UAC to open it, but I do (and i used to not to need it), and
> > another standard user doesn't and can open it without a problem. If the Admin
> > changes the password on the computer, I am SCREWED. Is there any way to stop
> > UAC for asking me my password with regedit? I do know the Admin password for
> > now, so that's not a problem. I really need a smart feller to help me here.
> > Not most people know how to fix this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thank you for your time

> Ask your parents for assistance.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Kevin Hicks

Re: Standard user needs regedit UAC prompt
oh dear God, no.

besides, im the smartest computer person in the house. the Admin is a
complete dummy and a control freak if i didn't metion.

Kevin Hicks wrote:
> oh dear God, no.
>
> besides, im the smartest computer person in the house. the Admin is a
> complete dummy and a control freak if i didn't metion.

To whom does the computer belong? Did you purchase it with your own
money? If not, you've no say over it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: