I No Longer Have Access To Windows Defender - Error message

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

skyzyk

I No Longer Have Access To Windows Defender - Error message
When I try to run Defender I get the following error message -
"Application failed to initialize 0x80070002"
Can someone help me please? I don't know what to do.
Gary
Steve Pearce

Re: I No Longer Have Access To Windows Defender - Error message
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:08:01 -0700, skyzyk
<skyzyk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>0x80070002

Means "The system cannot find the file specified."
James Matthews

Re: I No Longer Have Access To Windows Defender - Error message
Try reinstalling it

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=39
"skyzyk" <skyzyk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to run Defender I get the following error message -
> "Application failed to initialize 0x80070002"
> Can someone help me please? I don't know what to do.
> Gary

Engel

RE: I No Longer Have Access To Windows Defender - Error message
Hello skyzyk,

I hope this helps (it should)!
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/935511/en-us

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
--

"skyzyk" wrote:

> When I try to run Defender I get the following error message -
> "Application failed to initialize 0x80070002"
> Can someone help me please? I don't know what to do.
> Gary

skyzyk

RE: I No Longer Have Access To Windows Defender - Error message
I already tried using systen restore, doesn't help. I tried reinstalling
Vista as an upgrade but I think I would need to do clean install. Whwn I try
to re install defender it tells me I alrady have it built in to Vista!
Any other ideas?
"Engel" wrote:

> Hello skyzyk,
>
> I hope this helps (it should)!
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/935511/en-us
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> --
>
> "skyzyk" wrote:
>
> > When I try to run Defender I get the following error message -
> > "Application failed to initialize 0x80070002"
> > Can someone help me please? I don't know what to do.
> > Gary

Engel

RE: I No Longer Have Access To Windows Defender - Error message
Hi Gary,

You are in the right track thinking in a new clean install.

By now, you have reading this posts and get the idea what to do and don't do.

Take your time in the planing, in the long way pay off.

If Vista is working OK by your standard, you can disable Windows Defender,
and use other anti=spyware on demand.

Is your choice.

Good luck with your decision
-=-

"skyzyk" wrote:

> I already tried using systen restore, doesn't help. I tried reinstalling
> Vista as an upgrade but I think I would need to do clean install. Whwn I try
> to re install defender it tells me I alrady have it built in to Vista!
> Any other ideas?
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello skyzyk,
> >
> > I hope this helps (it should)!
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/935511/en-us
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> > --
> >
> > "skyzyk" wrote:
> >
> > > When I try to run Defender I get the following error message -
> > > "Application failed to initialize 0x80070002"
> > > Can someone help me please? I don't know what to do.
> > > Gary

dean-dean

Re: I No Longer Have Access To Windows Defender - Error message
I've noticed that this update for Vista actually re-creates/re-modifies all
the files under C:\Program Files\Windows Defender, which are necessary to
run Defender. (The update also resets files under
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Default):

Too, the update also creates two new folders in C:\Windows\winsxs, which
would be used by the System File Checker utility.

I would try downloading and installing the update, first. If Defender still
doesn't work, try the System File Checker, by right-clicking on Command
Prompt (Start Menu\Programs\Accessories), and choosing Run as Administrator.
At the prompt, type:

sfc /scannow

Press enter on your keyboard. The scan may take awhile.