Deleting Files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Max Payne

Deleting Files
I really need some help here. I am close to asking for a refund on my recnet
Vista upgrade. I have uninstalled a program and then went to delete the
folder and left over dll file when a 'pop-up' window showed and told me that
'Destination folder Access Denied' and 'You need permission to perform this
function'. I have changed the folder and file settings allowing full control
to the user and I am the administrator for my PC. Nothing seems to want to
delete the folder. I have also used 'unlocker' etc. Can anyone please help
before I end up doing some permanent damage to my PC.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Paul

RE: Deleting Files
Max, I had a similar problem trying to delete files. I posted an article
titled "administrator doesn't have permission to ..." in the discussion
group "admin, accounts, passwords".

I did get an answer. You may want to take a look at it; it may apply to
your problem.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
"Max Payne" wrote:

> I really need some help here. I am close to asking for a refund on my recnet
> Vista upgrade. I have uninstalled a program and then went to delete the
> folder and left over dll file when a 'pop-up' window showed and told me that
> 'Destination folder Access Denied' and 'You need permission to perform this
> function'. I have changed the folder and file settings allowing full control
> to the user and I am the administrator for my PC. Nothing seems to want to
> delete the folder. I have also used 'unlocker' etc. Can anyone please help
> before I end up doing some permanent damage to my PC.
>
> Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Marcin Domaslawski

Re: Deleting Files
Hi,

Actually it dont have to be fault of Vista, perhaps (and I suppost that)
program which you uninstalled left its file at all. When dll files are not
unregistered from system by the uninstaller, in some cases file will be all
time used by system.

Try:
- open cmd with elevated mode (with Run as Administrator from right mouse)
- command: regsvr32 full_path_to_dll_file
- if operation succeed - command: del full_path_to_dll_file
- if still will be blocked reboot and delete after reboot

Marcin Domaslawski

"Max Payne" <Max Payne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I really need some help here. I am close to asking for a refund on my
>recnet
> Vista upgrade. I have uninstalled a program and then went to delete the
> folder and left over dll file when a 'pop-up' window showed and told me
> that
> 'Destination folder Access Denied' and 'You need permission to perform
> this
> function'. I have changed the folder and file settings allowing full
> control
> to the user and I am the administrator for my PC. Nothing seems to want
> delete the folder. I have also used 'unlocker' etc. Can anyone please
> help
> before I end up doing some permanent damage to my PC.
>
> Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Neil Harley

Re: Deleting Files
Max Payne wrote:
> I really need some help here. I am close to asking for a refund on my recnet
> Vista upgrade. I have uninstalled a program and then went to delete the
> folder and left over dll file when a 'pop-up' window showed and told me that
> 'Destination folder Access Denied' and 'You need permission to perform this
> function'. I have changed the folder and file settings allowing full control
> to the user and I am the administrator for my PC. Nothing seems to want to
> delete the folder. I have also used 'unlocker' etc. Can anyone please help
> before I end up doing some permanent damage to my PC.
>
> Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Max

You may need to manually take Ownership and Full Control of the
directory and sub-directories / files before you can delete it. I had
this problem on a drive and resetting Owership and Permissions fixed it
so I could delete the dir.