Activation

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Michael Cavanagh

Activation
I got Vista Buisness edition because i assumd that i would bet more that one
activation out of it. But i recently upgraded my main harddrive from a flabby
IDE one to a speedy Western Digital Raptor. Now much to my annoyance I am
told that my product key is already in use, which in a way it is i suppose.
It is presently on a harddrive sat on my desk beside my keyboard.

I would just like to know if i have to live with my flabby old drive or (god
forbid) buy another copy of vista?
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Activation
Hello,

have you tried re-activating Windows by telephone activation and, there,
have you (perhaps) spoken to a MS person?

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

"Michael Cavanagh" <MichaelCavanagh@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:E6C12112-41A8-416B-B87C-33E64F81168A@microsoft.com...
>I got Vista Buisness edition because i assumd that i would bet more that
>one
> activation out of it. But i recently upgraded my main harddrive from a
> flabby
> IDE one to a speedy Western Digital Raptor. Now much to my annoyance I am
> told that my product key is already in use, which in a way it is i
> suppose.
> It is presently on a harddrive sat on my desk beside my keyboard.
>
> I would just like to know if i have to live with my flabby old drive or
> (god
> forbid) buy another copy of vista?

Dennis Pack

Re: Activation
Michael:
You will have to use the telephone activation and it shouldn't be a
problem if you don't hang up after the automates activation fails them
you're transferred to a live person. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

"Michael Cavanagh" <MichaelCavanagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E6C12112-41A8-416B-B87C-33E64F81168A@microsoft.com...
>I got Vista Buisness edition because i assumd that i would bet more that
>one
> activation out of it. But i recently upgraded my main harddrive from a
> flabby
> IDE one to a speedy Western Digital Raptor. Now much to my annoyance I am
> told that my product key is already in use, which in a way it is i
> suppose.
> It is presently on a harddrive sat on my desk beside my keyboard.
>
> I would just like to know if i have to live with my flabby old drive or
> (god
> forbid) buy another copy of vista?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Activation
Michael Cavanagh wrote:
> I got Vista Buisness edition because i assumd that i would bet more that one
> activation out of it. But i recently upgraded my main harddrive from a flabby
> IDE one to a speedy Western Digital Raptor. Now much to my annoyance I am
> told that my product key is already in use, which in a way it is i suppose.
> It is presently on a harddrive sat on my desk beside my keyboard.
>
> I would just like to know if i have to live with my flabby old drive or (god
> forbid) buy another copy of vista?

There's no limit to the number of times you can reinstall and
activate the same Vista license on the same PC. Nor is there ever a
charge. Nor does a Product Key (so long as it's not an evaluation
license) ever expire. If it's been more than 120 days since you last
activated that specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to
activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less, you might
have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

Simply reinstall and activate by telephone.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Barnett MVP

Re: Activation
A simply telephone call to the activation line should solve the problem.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Michael Cavanagh" <MichaelCavanagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E6C12112-41A8-416B-B87C-33E64F81168A@microsoft.com...
>I got Vista Buisness edition because i assumd that i would bet more that
>one
> activation out of it. But i recently upgraded my main harddrive from a
> flabby
> IDE one to a speedy Western Digital Raptor. Now much to my annoyance I am
> told that my product key is already in use, which in a way it is i
> suppose.
> It is presently on a harddrive sat on my desk beside my keyboard.
>
> I would just like to know if i have to live with my flabby old drive or
> (god
> forbid) buy another copy of vista?

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Activation
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:29:00 -0700, Michael Cavanagh

>I got Vista Buisness edition because i assumd that i would bet more that one
>activation out of it. But i recently upgraded my main harddrive from a flabby
>IDE one to a speedy Western Digital Raptor. Now much to my annoyance I am
>told that my product key is already in use, which in a way it is i suppose.
>It is presently on a harddrive sat on my desk beside my keyboard.

We are told that Vista uses the same component-watching model as XP.

XP watches 10 components, with LAN adapter "weighted" as 3 "lives".
As long as 7 "lives" are left, the activation DoS payload is not
triggered. Yet here we have a HD swap that should (at worst) break 2
monitored lives; physical HD and volume serial number.

So why is the Vista activation payload so trigger-happy?

The rights you save may be your own