firewall shutting off all the time????

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

chase

firewall shutting off all the time????
i am not very computer savvy. so any info would be great.
running vista home basic on a hp pavilion
David Dickinson

Re: firewall shutting off all the time????
"chase" <chase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am not very computer savvy. so any info would be great.
> running vista home basic on a hp pavilion

Hi, Chase,

We need more information about your computer. For instance:

What antivirus software are you running and is it part of a package that
includes a firewall (for instance McAfee or Symantec)?

Are you talking about the Windows Firewall shutting off?

What is telling you that the firewall is shut off?

Which version of Windows Vista do you have?

Also, anything else that you can tell us about your computer, its software,
and the type of internet connection that you have will be helpful.

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

chase

"David ****inson" wrote:

> "chase" <chase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i am not very computer savvy. so any info would be great.
> > running vista home basic on a hp pavilion

> Hi, Chase,
>
> We need more information about your computer. For instance:
>
> What antivirus software are you running and is it part of a package that
> includes a firewall (for instance McAfee or Symantec)?
>
> Are you talking about the Windows Firewall shutting off?
>
> What is telling you that the firewall is shut off?
>
> Which version of Windows Vista do you have?
>
> Also, anything else that you can tell us about your computer, its software,
> and the type of internet connection that you have will be helpful.
>
> --
> David ****inson
> eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org
> Please reply only to the newsgroup, not by email.
>
> hey thanks dave,

i think that i may have deduced what the problem was. tell me if this makes
any sense.
i am using vista home basic, the connection is a 'wlan'.
when i bought the computer i also purchased 'windows live onecare', which
is the spyware, anitvirus and firewall package. so that firewall was
conflicting with the windows vista firewall, which is the firewall that kept
turning itself off. the notifications were showing up in the "hp total care
advisor'.
so i believe that the fw's were just screwing with each other. right???
i now just leave vista firewall off and keep all of "wlco' package features
on.
let me know what you think. anyone.
thanks for the support
chase
JerryM

Re: firewall shutting off all the time????
You are on the right track, Chase,
Windows One Care has its own 2 way firewall and shuts the windows firewall
down.
Only one firewall is required, so you are well protected.

--

Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The wagging tail of a dog.