Login process has failed to create the security options dialog

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Chris

Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
Running Vista Ultimate
The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I cannot
right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not produce
anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
Titled:
Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
With a dialog message of:
Failure - Security Options

I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
solutions or causes posted.
Anyone here know how to deal with this?

TIA,
Chris

Jesper

RE: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
---

"Chris" wrote:

> Running Vista Ultimate
> The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I cannot
> right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not produce
> anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
> Titled:
> Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
> With a dialog message of:
> Failure - Security Options
>
> I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
> solutions or causes posted.
> Anyone here know how to deal with this?
>
> TIA,
> Chris

Chris

Re: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
I have Symantec Security Client installed.
I run the 64bit version at work and have not had any problems with it. The
problem machine is a 32bit.
If I get the thing to boot again I'll uninstall Symantec and see what
happens.
Thanks,
Chris

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
> security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
> firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "Chris" wrote:
>
>> Running Vista Ultimate
>> The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I
>> cannot
>> right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not produce
>> anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
>> Titled:
>> Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
>> With a dialog message of:
>> Failure - Security Options
>>
>> I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
>> solutions or causes posted.
>> Anyone here know how to deal with this?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Chris

Chris

"Chris" <chris01@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>I have Symantec Security Client installed.
> I run the 64bit version at work and have not had any problems with it. The
> problem machine is a 32bit.
> If I get the thing to boot again I'll uninstall Symantec and see what
> happens.
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> "Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
>> security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
>> firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
>> ---
>> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>>

>> "Chris" wrote:
>>
>>> Running Vista Ultimate
>>> The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I
>>> cannot
>>> right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not
>>> produce
>>> anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
>>> Titled:
>>> Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
>>> With a dialog message of:
>>> Failure - Security Options
>>>
>>> I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
>>> solutions or causes posted.
>>> Anyone here know how to deal with this?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Chris

I found the problem and it was not due to Symantec Antivirus.
I ran the Western Digital Diagnostics and it revealed that the S.M.A.R.T
data had errors in it..
I didn't look into exactly what the problem was but replaced the drive.
I haven't had a problem since and I've been using it for several weeks now.
The original problem was repeatable in several installations. For whatever
reason, the problem with the drive did not cause problems with Windows XP
but did cause problems with Vista.
A new C drive and life is good.

Chris

Phatkow is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
I had the same problem with a Dell Studio 1535 with Vista Premium Home edition.

Here is my story:
Symptoms: Regardless of users actions; (1) opening or using an application or (2) if the system sits idle, after approximately 1 to 4 minutes the system will become
Unresponsive and any windows that were currently opened will have “Not Responding” across the menu bar. The mouse pointer icon will get the whirling load icon, although the mouse “may” (not always the case), continue to move, any attempt to open Task Manager to shutdown processes or log off end in failure due to non-responsiveness. At this point the mouse will generally stop functioning as well.

From this point, one of two things may happen:

(1) The machine will freeze in its current state or (2) The screen will go black and display the following message:
Error Box titled: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog - with a dialog message of: Failure - Security Options

In either case, any normal standard attempt to shut down the machine gracefully is not possible and a hard shut down is required to get the machine to respond to user input.

Due to the non-graceful shut down, check disk will usually run (although not all the time) and repair or fix any issues caused by the shut down.

At this point, attempting to logon again only repeats the above scenario above 100% of the time.

Because of the short amount of time that the system is accessible for user input, attempts to diagnose the problem using the windows vista tools have met with limited and frustrating results.

A Pre-boot System Assessment test shows an error:
TEST – Hard Drive – DST Short Test
Test Results: Fail
Error Code 2000-0142

Error Window displays the following:
ERROR CODE: 0142.
Msg: Error Code 2000-0142
Msg: Hard Drive 1 Self Test Unsuccessful. Status: 79

The HDD is a Western Digital (WDC WD3200BEVT-73ZCT1).

Since the machine was only 6 weeks old, I contacted Dell. After spending an hour and a half in chat working on the problem and at the point where they had me attempt to restore to the Factory install, it bombed out. The Dell rep said I had a bad HDD, I tried to resist it but I had to type "You Think?" in the chat window.
My research has indicated that this problem may be related to bad Hard Drives. At least it seems that mine was. In any case they are shipping me a new hard drive and hopefully that will resolve the issue. I'll post back after the new HDD is installed and running for a bit.

Hope this helps if you’re having the same issue.
Paul Montgumdrop

Re: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
Phatkow wrote:

<snipped>

What kind of nonsense is that, that someone would tell you that the
restore aborted and that you needed a new HD.

The restore has aborted on me a couple of times and it told me that it
aborted. The restore was at the end, and it had finished the restore
when it aborted. I went and a looked at the state of things to make sure
things were back the way it was after the restore.

At best, all you had to do was format/flatten the HD and reinstalled the
O/S, which the pre-install of the O/S from the manufacture may not have
been a good install.

If the HD was going bad, then you would have started getting error
messages in some form that would have lead you to thinking that you had
a HD problem I would think.
Vinicio

Re: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
I had the same situation...the technician "solved" the problem by suggesting
to send me a new HD and start anew. I run a diagnostics on the HD and found
that it was healthy. The Vista hanging problem I had was originated by a
conflict with other software. I unistalled all programs, including Office,
and installed them again to find the culprit. When I installed Outlook 2007,
the problems begun again. So I think I have the culprit.

"Paul Montgumdrop" wrote:

> Phatkow wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> What kind of nonsense is that, that someone would tell you that the
> restore aborted and that you needed a new HD.
>
> The restore has aborted on me a couple of times and it told me that it
> aborted. The restore was at the end, and it had finished the restore
> when it aborted. I went and a looked at the state of things to make sure
> things were back the way it was after the restore.
>
> At best, all you had to do was format/flatten the HD and reinstalled the
> O/S, which the pre-install of the O/S from the manufacture may not have
> been a good install.
>
> If the HD was going bad, then you would have started getting error
> messages in some form that would have lead you to thinking that you had
> a HD problem I would think.

GKB GKB is offline

GKB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
I've had the same problem; screen freezes, comes back slowly, freezes again, taking forever to do anything, recovering with control:alt:del and finally an error message saying "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog".
Days later, and after lots of aggravation, I got a blue screen of death and that gave the game away.
It turns out that Vista was trying its best with a faulty power supply that was shorting across a damaged lead.
I took off the shorting connector and all's well, Vista is back perfectly.

I thought it would be easy to tell whether a problem is hardware or software, but it's not

Last edited by GKB : 10-02-2009 at 12:08. Reason: add more info

Re: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
The person you are talking too probably hasn't waited a year for you.

--
..
--
"GKB" <GKB.3zffo3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I've had the same problem; screen freezes, comes back slowly, freezes
> again, taking forever to do anything, recovering with control:alt:del
> and finally an error message saying "Login process has failed to create
> the security options dialog".
> Days later, and after lots of aggravation, I got a blue screen of
> death and that gave the game away.
> It turns out that Vista was trying its best with a faulty power supply
> that was shorting across a damaged lead.
> I took off the shorting connector and all's well, Vista is back
> perfectly.
>
> I thought it would be easy to tell whether a problem is hardware or
> software, but it's not
>

> --
> GKB

Len Hannam

Re: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog

I just thought I'd put in my two cents worth... I have been bugged by
this problem ever since I enabled my Sidebar in my Windows Gadgets in
Vista. I tried the chkdsk routine and it seemed to solve the problem
once. Then it came back and I got to thinking, the problem seemed to
coincide with my turning on the sidebar so why not turn it off and see
if that's it. So I did and haven't had a problem yet - and my computer
is running a lot faster! (of course it's only been 1 day but I think
that must have been it.)

My theory is that when I turned on the current weather feature which
requires a live internet connection to continuously update the weather,
it caused the problem when it could not connect (for reason's unrelated,
I have to switch my ethernet chord on my laptop rather frequently to
connect to two different networks and if I don't do an Ipconfig /renew
I'm sure it just sits there grinding away not able to connect).

Anyway, give it a try - it might work for you!

To disable it, goto the control panel, double-click 'Windows Sidebar...'
and uncheck 'Start Sidebar when Windows starts'

Good Luck!

Len.

--
Len Hannam