Giving "Run As Administrator" Rights To A Program

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Bob H

Giving "Run As Administrator" Rights To A Program
I've been using the Intel Thermal Analysis tool to measure my CPU core
temperatures. It works fine, but I find that UAC stops it starting up and
requires me to give it access rights each time I start it.
I've gone to the Properties dialogue of both the program executable file,
plus the shortcut - and in the compatability tab have ticked the "Run As
Administrator" box - which hasn't fully solved the problem. I still get a "An
unidentified program wants access to your computer" dialogue box and have to
accept in that instead. Is there a way of permanently allowing this program
to bypass this UAC check.

Jimmy Brush

Re: Giving "Run As Administrator" Rights To A Program
Bob H wrote:
> I've been using the Intel Thermal Analysis tool to measure my CPU core
> temperatures. It works fine, but I find that UAC stops it starting up and
> requires me to give it access rights each time I start it.
> I've gone to the Properties dialogue of both the program executable file,
> plus the shortcut - and in the compatability tab have ticked the "Run As
> Administrator" box - which hasn't fully solved the problem. I still get a "An
> unidentified program wants access to your computer" dialogue box and have to
> accept in that instead. Is there a way of permanently allowing this program
> to bypass this UAC check.

Hello,

No, there is no way to allow a specific program to always open with
administrator privileges without prompting.

The prompt is not just asking you if you trust a program, but also
asking you if you opened the program in that specific instance.

This keeps programs that do not prompt from being able to run the
trusted administrative tools on your computer without your knowledge,
which would kind of defeat the purpose of the prompt in the first place.

The actual issue here seems to be "Why does the Intel Thermal Analysis
Tool require admin privileges". I've never used the tool, but it doesn't
sound like it does anything that should need administrator privileges.

In any case, as a workaround, you can have the tool run automatically at
startup with admin privileges without prompting, if you are using an
administrator account. (This is "OK" because a non-admin program has no
control over this process, so there is no potential for abuse).

Just go to the task scheduler and create a new task specifying to run
that tool when you log in, and make sure you check the box that allows
it to run with 'highest privilege'.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Hurricane Andrew

"Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using the Intel Thermal Analysis tool to measure my CPU core
> temperatures. It works fine, but I find that UAC stops it starting up and
> requires me to give it access rights each time I start it.
> I've gone to the Properties dialogue of both the program executable file,
> plus the shortcut - and in the compatability tab have ticked the "Run As
> Administrator" box - which hasn't fully solved the problem. I still get a
> "An
> unidentified program wants access to your computer" dialogue box and have
> accept in that instead. Is there a way of permanently allowing this
> program
> to bypass this UAC check.

If the account you typical use is an "administrator" account, you can
eliminate the prompt by editing the local security policy.

In the Start Search box, type local, and local security policy should be the
first choice. Once it loads, expand local policies, and then select
Security Options. You want to change the setting for the User Account
Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin
Approval Mode to Elevate without prompting.

That should take care of your issue, and many others as well :-)

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

Bob H

Re: Giving "Run As Administrator" Rights To A Program
Thanks for the replies - I'll try them out now.

Bob,

"Hurricane Andrew" wrote:

> "Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been using the Intel Thermal Analysis tool to measure my CPU core
> > temperatures. It works fine, but I find that UAC stops it starting up and
> > requires me to give it access rights each time I start it.
> > I've gone to the Properties dialogue of both the program executable file,
> > plus the shortcut - and in the compatability tab have ticked the "Run As
> > Administrator" box - which hasn't fully solved the problem. I still get a
> > "An
> > unidentified program wants access to your computer" dialogue box and have
> > accept in that instead. Is there a way of permanently allowing this
> > program
> > to bypass this UAC check.

> If the account you typical use is an "administrator" account, you can
> eliminate the prompt by editing the local security policy.
>
> In the Start Search box, type local, and local security policy should be the
> first choice. Once it loads, expand local policies, and then select
> Security Options. You want to change the setting for the User Account
> Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin
> Approval Mode to Elevate without prompting.
>
> That should take care of your issue, and many others as well :-)
>
> --
> "Hurricane" Andrew
> Milford, DE

Diane Walker

Re: Giving "Run As Administrator" Rights To A Program
JB,

Vista still prompted me for the UAC check after I setup a task in Task
Scheduler. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Diane

Diane Walker wrote:
> JB,
>
> Vista still prompted me for the UAC check after I setup a task in Task
> Scheduler. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Diane
>
> "Jimmy Brush" <jb@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Bob H wrote:
>>> I've been using the Intel Thermal Analysis tool to measure my CPU core
>>> temperatures. It works fine, but I find that UAC stops it starting up and
>>> requires me to give it access rights each time I start it.
>>> I've gone to the Properties dialogue of both the program executable file,
>>> plus the shortcut - and in the compatability tab have ticked the "Run As
>>> Administrator" box - which hasn't fully solved the problem. I still get a
>>> "An unidentified program wants access to your computer" dialogue box and
>>> have to accept in that instead. Is there a way of permanently allowing
>>> this program to bypass this UAC check.
>>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> No, there is no way to allow a specific program to always open with
>> administrator privileges without prompting.
>>
>> The prompt is not just asking you if you trust a program, but also asking
>> you if you opened the program in that specific instance.
>>
>> This keeps programs that do not prompt from being able to run the trusted
>> administrative tools on your computer without your knowledge, which would
>> kind of defeat the purpose of the prompt in the first place.
>>
>> The actual issue here seems to be "Why does the Intel Thermal Analysis
>> Tool require admin privileges". I've never used the tool, but it doesn't
>> sound like it does anything that should need administrator privileges.
>>
>> In any case, as a workaround, you can have the tool run automatically at
>> startup with admin privileges without prompting, if you are using an
>> administrator account. (This is "OK" because a non-admin program has no
>> control over this process, so there is no potential for abuse).
>>
>> Just go to the task scheduler and create a new task specifying to run that
>> tool when you log in, and make sure you check the box that allows it to
>> run with 'highest privilege'.
>>
>> --
>> -JB
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Hello,

On my machine, as long as I have "Run only when user is logged on" and
"Run with highest privileges" checked, the program runs elevated without
prompting.

Can you describe how your task is set up?