UAC locks some administrators

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

ArcyQwerty

UAC locks some administrators
When booting Vista, one admin can log on whereas another cannot. Limited
users can not log in at all. When one cannot log in, the screen goes black
although ctrl+alt+del combination still functions to start task manager or to
log off. When the admin that cannot log in arrives at the black screen, task
manager can run explorer only if it is started with the admin token. The
other admin can log in without problems. Windows also does not detect that
McAfee and Windows Defender are runnning and returns a problem in the
Security Center.

I have tried reseting/renaming the repository and deleting and creating new
accounts. New accounts face the same problem.

Jesper

RE: UAC locks some administrators
Please explain what you mean by "resetting/renaming the repository." This
machine is obviously not in its default state. What have you done to it since
you installed it?
---

"ArcyQwerty" wrote:

> When booting Vista, one admin can log on whereas another cannot. Limited
> users can not log in at all. When one cannot log in, the screen goes black
> although ctrl+alt+del combination still functions to start task manager or to
> log off. When the admin that cannot log in arrives at the black screen, task
> manager can run explorer only if it is started with the admin token. The
> other admin can log in without problems. Windows also does not detect that
> McAfee and Windows Defender are runnning and returns a problem in the
> Security Center.
>
> I have tried reseting/renaming the repository and deleting and creating new
> accounts. New accounts face the same problem.

ArcyQwerty

RE: UAC locks some administrators
A solution in another thread stated:
"Try this:

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", run this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. (It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
services to shut down). Run the command again. You actually may have to
run it 3 times before it finally runs and completes on its own.

Reboot your system.

"tuckers" <tuckers.2qgzbj@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I also have this problem, but with different antivirus (Kaspersky). I
> think it started when I installed a second graphics card.
>
> I have tried this solution and I get the response: Access is denied. I
> tried running cmd.exe as adminstrator, and it still gave me the error.
> Going in through explorer and doing a rename gives me this message:
> You need permission to do this action".
>
> I am logged in with my admin account.
>
> I may try to run in Safe Mode with command prompt to do this.
>
> Any solutions?
>

> --
> tuckers"

So I did so, however, it did not work for me unlike for the others.

"Jesper" wrote:

> Please explain what you mean by "resetting/renaming the repository." This
> machine is obviously not in its default state. What have you done to it since
> you installed it?
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "ArcyQwerty" wrote:
>
> > When booting Vista, one admin can log on whereas another cannot. Limited
> > users can not log in at all. When one cannot log in, the screen goes black
> > although ctrl+alt+del combination still functions to start task manager or to
> > log off. When the admin that cannot log in arrives at the black screen, task
> > manager can run explorer only if it is started with the admin token. The
> > other admin can log in without problems. Windows also does not detect that
> > McAfee and Windows Defender are runnning and returns a problem in the
> > Security Center.
> >
> > I have tried reseting/renaming the repository and deleting and creating new
> > accounts. New accounts face the same problem.

Jesper

RE: UAC locks some administrators
No. Providing such a feature would be instantly used by malware.

---

"Jesper" wrote:

> Please explain what you mean by "resetting/renaming the repository." This
> machine is obviously not in its default state. What have you done to it since
> you installed it?
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "ArcyQwerty" wrote:
>
> > When booting Vista, one admin can log on whereas another cannot. Limited
> > users can not log in at all. When one cannot log in, the screen goes black
> > although ctrl+alt+del combination still functions to start task manager or to
> > log off. When the admin that cannot log in arrives at the black screen, task
> > manager can run explorer only if it is started with the admin token. The
> > other admin can log in without problems. Windows also does not detect that
> > McAfee and Windows Defender are runnning and returns a problem in the
> > Security Center.
> >
> > I have tried reseting/renaming the repository and deleting and creating new
> > accounts. New accounts face the same problem.

Jesper

RE: UAC locks some administrators
Without understanding more of the problem and seeing any error messages I
don't have any reason to believe this is WMI related at all. I would be more
inclined to say it has to do with some third-party software on the system.

---