autologon

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

wsms

autologon
I would like an autolog for a local user for a set of computer on Vista
Enterprise or Ultimate in an Active Directory domain.
Autologon account would be a local account on the system
The system would be part of Active Directory

Is that solution can be managed through group policy for Vista Enterprise
and Ultimate?

Jesper

RE: autologon
Yes, you can manage it through Group Policy, but you would have to write the
template to do so yourself. Furthermore, that template would include the
password used for logon in cleartext in the template.

The registry keys you need to set are documented in:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

---

"wsms" wrote:

> I would like an autolog for a local user for a set of computer on Vista
> Enterprise or Ultimate in an Active Directory domain.
> Autologon account would be a local account on the system
> The system would be part of Active Directory
>
> Is that solution can be managed through group policy for Vista Enterprise
> and Ultimate?

Alun Jones

Re: autologon
"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD0F7251-7897-4199-A00D-24BE45756C50@microsoft.com...
> Yes, you can manage it through Group Policy, but you would have to write
> the
> template to do so yourself. Furthermore, that template would include the
> password used for logon in cleartext in the template.
>
> The registry keys you need to set are documented in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

I would also consider restricting the workstations to which this account
could log on, so that noone tries to use a password gleaned from the
template or remote registry to log on anonymously to computers other than
those with the autologon.

There may be other mitigation steps you would want to put in, depending on
your particular circumstance - consider what it would mean to your
environment to have this user's password be public. Make sure you mitigate
any threats.

Alun.
~~~~

rsergio is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To keep your password encrypted please look at LogonExpert for Vista Autologon tool