Moving a Hard Drive from 2K to Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Cecil

Moving a Hard Drive from 2K to Vista
Hello;

I have a new machine on the way that is running vista business. I need to
physically move 2 windows 2000 small business server EIDE drives into the new
machine. I have removed security restrictions on the drives and given full
access on the drives to "everyone". I will probably want to "take ownership"
of the drives when they get moved but is there anything else that I am
missing? Anyone else do this and can show me the pitfalls?

Thanks in advance.
Cecil
David Dickinson

Re: Moving a Hard Drive from 2K to Vista
"Cecil" <Cecil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a new machine on the way that is running vista business. I need to
> physically move 2 windows 2000 small business server EIDE drives into the
> new
> machine. I have removed security restrictions on the drives and given
> full
> access on the drives to "everyone". I will probably want to "take
> ownership"
> of the drives when they get moved but is there anything else that I am
> missing? Anyone else do this and can show me the pitfalls?

You probably didn't have to make even the changes that you did make to the
drives. By default, the Administrators group is given full control of the
root of a drive. With that, you can access anything, although you might
have to take ownership of and change permissions for some subfolders.
(There are lots of caveats but, in general, as long as you don't deny
Administrators access to a drive, you'll be okay.)

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

Cecil

Re: Moving a Hard Drive from 2K to Vista
David,

Thank you very much. I appreciate you help.

Cecil