Restore files in Vista after a re-installation

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Ole Vik

Restore files in Vista after a re-installation
I have Vista Home Premium, and used the backup utility to make a file backup
to an external harddrive (via network share i.e \\NAS\backup). Restore from
this location worked like a charm, until i had to do a re-installation of the
OS. Now, when i try to restore via the "backup made on another computer"
option..the backup sets cant be found. I can browse to the share, i see the
folders and select them, but when i press "Next", i get an error message
saying a backupset can't be found. I created a new backup, located on the
same network share, and can restore from this just fine.

I have read through 100s of posts, but I havent found a similiar angle to
the problem. I do not try a complete pc backup, only files.

Any help is appreciated!!
UnswoleLilDude

Re: Restore files in Vista after a re-installation
Try copying the backup from the NAS to your local computer and try restoring
it from there.

"Ole Vik" <Ole Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Home Premium, and used the backup utility to make a file
>backup
> to an external harddrive (via network share i.e \\NAS\backup). Restore
> from
> this location worked like a charm, until i had to do a re-installation of
> the
> OS. Now, when i try to restore via the "backup made on another computer"
> option..the backup sets cant be found. I can browse to the share, i see
> the
> folders and select them, but when i press "Next", i get an error message
> saying a backupset can't be found. I created a new backup, located on the
> same network share, and can restore from this just fine.
>
> I have read through 100s of posts, but I havent found a similiar angle to
> the problem. I do not try a complete pc backup, only files.
>
> Any help is appreciated!!

Ole Vik

Re: Restore files in Vista after a re-installation
Well, the computer is a single disk/partition laptop. I could connect an
external usb harddrive to it and transfer the files there. Any ideas to what
causes this? Rights issues?

"UnswoleLilDude" wrote:

> Try copying the backup from the NAS to your local computer and try restoring
> it from there.
>

> "Ole Vik" <Ole Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista Home Premium, and used the backup utility to make a file
> >backup
> > to an external harddrive (via network share i.e \\NAS\backup). Restore
> > from
> > this location worked like a charm, until i had to do a re-installation of
> > the
> > OS. Now, when i try to restore via the "backup made on another computer"
> > option..the backup sets cant be found. I can browse to the share, i see
> > the
> > folders and select them, but when i press "Next", i get an error message
> > saying a backupset can't be found. I created a new backup, located on the
> > same network share, and can restore from this just fine.
> >
> > I have read through 100s of posts, but I havent found a similiar angle to
> > the problem. I do not try a complete pc backup, only files.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated!!

Ole Vik

Re: Restore files in Vista after a re-installation
Nope. I burned the backup set onto a dvd with the same result.

The backup sets are in folders named like this:

Main folder:

Backup Set 2007-06-18 092659

Sub-folders:

Backup Files 2007-06-18 092659
Backup Files 2007-06-18 110339
Backup Files 2007-06-19 085951
Catalogs

All files are present, nothing is changed from the original backup.
Why wont Advanced File Restore recognize this set?

This is not good at all..i need my mails..

"Ole Vik" wrote:

> Well, the computer is a single disk/partition laptop. I could connect an
> external usb harddrive to it and transfer the files there. Any ideas to what
> causes this? Rights issues?
>
> "UnswoleLilDude" wrote:
>
> > Try copying the backup from the NAS to your local computer and try restoring
> > it from there.
> >

> > "Ole Vik" <Ole Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have Vista Home Premium, and used the backup utility to make a file
> > >backup
> > > to an external harddrive (via network share i.e \\NAS\backup). Restore
> > > from
> > > this location worked like a charm, until i had to do a re-installation of
> > > the
> > > OS. Now, when i try to restore via the "backup made on another computer"
> > > option..the backup sets cant be found. I can browse to the share, i see
> > > the
> > > folders and select them, but when i press "Next", i get an error message
> > > saying a backupset can't be found. I created a new backup, located on the
> > > same network share, and can restore from this just fine.
> > >
> > > I have read through 100s of posts, but I havent found a similiar angle to
> > > the problem. I do not try a complete pc backup, only files.
> > >
> > > Any help is appreciated!!

Morris Cox

Re: Restore files in Vista after a re-installation
Try using a program like WinZip or TugZip to look inside the backup
files. Done carefully, you can do the restore yourself. Something like
copying back and extracting the original "base" backup folder, then
copying back and extracting each of the Backup Files folders one at a time.

Morris Cox
Randy McClellan

Re: Restore files in Vista after a re-installation
I am in the same boat. Seems kinda pointless backing up daily if I can't
access the backups after a re-install. That's the point, for me at least.
We shouldn't have to manually unzip each folder and determine which version
of files if the most recent. Why does it say no set available? Anyone from
Microsoft have input on this problem?

Thanks,
Randy