Vista privlidges and VB6

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Kevin Provance

Vista privlidges and VB6
Gents (and ladies if there are any here), prepare for a challenge. First, I
am cross-posting this to what I think is the appropriate Vista group because
I think we as VB 6 programmers could learn some techniques (or vice versa)
if there is indeed an answer to this delimma. As a side note, I am dyslexic
and I try to catch my spelling errors but always seem to miss some, so
please forgive those in advance. My typing is slower than my minds ability
to get the words out.

Okay, here we go: I am using VB6 SP6 on a Gateway laptop with Vista Home
Premium. I have a program that performs cross task subclassing use Spyworks
by Dan Appleman. But before you tell me that it's Applemans fault it's not
working, then just wait. I talked to Dan about it and he said it wasn't
Spywork. It had more do to with execution level. Basically, my program
need to be the same or higher and the only way to accomplish thatis to have
either VB6 or m y compiled EXE start the program in question first. I got a
copy of Process Explorer from systemInternals,

So as it sits, my program has to start the other program so that it is a
parent of the program I am trying to hook into. Somehow I managedto change
the elevation level of the program I wsnted to start. (well, call it AOL)
If AOL starts before my program, then none of my programs hook are valid.
If I have my program start AOL then everythink works. I was viewing the
results of theProcess Explorer and say thatVB6.exe was the parent process
and that AOL was a child of it, VB6 is also running asAdministrator.

So my question is after watching Process Explorer can I launch my app
whenever I want to and then find by way of API to become the child of the
waol.exe process so that it will stop ignoring all my API messages. Can a
process became part of another so that we have the same pvileges. This is
important, or my carreer goes oout the door.

To me, my problem of not being able to cross subclass because of permissions
and priviledges is a career killer. If I can't find a way to fix this, I'm
in a bad place.

Please consider helping me, so I can feed my kids and whats not. I will
entertain any suggestion. If you need more data, please let me know...I
must get this fixed one way or another

Thanks,

Kevin Provance
phone available

Ken Halter

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
"Kevin Provance" <casey@tpasoft.com> wrote in message

> So as it sits, my program has to start the other program so that it is a
> parent of the program I am trying to hook into. Somehow I managedto
> change
> the elevation level of the program I wsnted to start. (well, call it AOL)
> If AOL starts before my program, then none of my programs hook are valid.
> If I have my program start AOL then everythink works. I was viewing the
> results of theProcess Explorer and say thatVB6.exe was the parent process
> and that AOL was a child of it, VB6 is also running asAdministrator.

Since I've never used SpyWorks or even touched a PC running Vista, about the
only thing I can come up with would be.... modify the shortcut to that "aol"
program, so it launches your app instead... your app can then launch "aol".
Ask the users permission first, of course.

If you need to do this with other apps, the shortcut's command line can be
the original contents of the "Target" field for that shortcut.

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - Please keep all discussions in the groups..
In Loving Memory - http://www.vbsight.com/Remembrance.htm

Karl E. Peterson

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
Kevin Provance <casey@tpasoft.com> wrote:
> So as it sits, my program has to start the other program so that it is a
> parent of the program I am trying to hook into.

Presumably, throwing a messagebox stating that, should you find the "other program"
already running when you startup, isn't an option? (Like Ken, I use neither Vista
nor SpyWorks.)
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

BeastFish

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
Wow, Microsoft's hearts must all be a-flutter with how the masses are just
rushing out to get Vista, reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch doll riots of
20-some years ago <g>

Karl E. Peterson

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
BeastFish <no@spam.com> wrote:
> Wow, Microsoft's hearts must all be a-flutter with how the masses are just
> rushing out to get Vista, reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch doll riots of
> 20-some years ago <g>

My official position, for the foreseeable future: Unsupported Platform!
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Kevin Provance

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
Trust me dude...none of this is by personal choice. I'd be content to stay
with XP and programming for it. Unfortunately, because most of my end users
are um...easily led and because laptops are dirt cheap now, it seems that
everyday I get letters from a few more of them that have moved to Vista and
want to know why my programs are not working. So now I have no choice but
to dive into the abyss blindfolded if I ever expect to keep feeding my
family, ya know?

I have no formal college education in computer science (I was a music major
for all the good it did me) and after experimenting with help wanted adds in
the field where I am most proficient, I am turned away for not having the
proper education. Of course running my own biz for 10 years dealing with
everything from coding, to administration to webmaster makes no difference.

I'm pretty hosed if I cannot get this Vista crap working.
Seriously...without that piece of paper, my days as a programmer are coming
to a close...and no, I ain't happy about it.

- Kev

"BeastFish" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:f59734$rve$1@aioe.org...
| Wow, Microsoft's hearts must all be a-flutter with how the masses are just
| rushing out to get Vista, reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch doll riots of
| 20-some years ago <g>

Kevin Provance

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
I guess this means my dreams of hosting a "Mastering VB6 and Vista"
subsection of your website are out the window, eh? <eg>

Lord knows by the time I'm done with this *@!&ing project, I'll have earned
the title of master (or at the very least "somewhat knowledgable"). :-)

- Kev

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@mvps.org> wrote in message
| BeastFish <no@spam.com> wrote:
| > Wow, Microsoft's hearts must all be a-flutter with how the masses are
just
| > rushing out to get Vista, reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch doll riots of
| > 20-some years ago <g>
|
| My official position, for the foreseeable future: Unsupported Platform!
| --
| .NET: It's About Trust!
| http://vfred.mvps.org

Bob O`Bob

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
Kevin Provance wrote:
> I guess this means my dreams of hosting a "Mastering VB6 and Vista"
> subsection of your website are out the window, eh? <eg>
>
> Lord knows by the time I'm done with this *@!&ing project, I'll have earned
> the title of master (or at the very least "somewhat knowledgable"). :-)

....or a nice canvas jacket with really long sleeves and a new place to live.
BeastFish

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
Kev,

I assume you're setting the execution level of your VB exe via manifest? If
so, did you embed it in the exe? Don't know for sure, but for some reason I
recall seeing somewhere that Vista/UAC might expect it to be embedded in the
exe.

Did you try going the other way... try making the existing instance of the
AOL app a child of your app? Maybe you can find something that helps
here... http://www.shrinkwrapvb.com/kidnap.htm

Just some wild "guesses". When you find a solution, please let us know.

> Trust me dude...none of this is by personal choice. I'd be content to

stay
> with XP and programming for it. Unfortunately, because most of my end

users
> are um...easily led and because laptops are dirt cheap now, it seems that
> everyday I get letters from a few more of them that have moved to Vista

and
> want to know why my programs are not working. So now I have no choice but
> to dive into the abyss blindfolded if I ever expect to keep feeding my
> family, ya know?
>
> I have no formal college education in computer science (I was a music

major
> for all the good it did me) and after experimenting with help wanted adds

in
> the field where I am most proficient, I am turned away for not having the
> proper education. Of course running my own biz for 10 years dealing with
> everything from coding, to administration to webmaster makes no

difference.

> I'm pretty hosed if I cannot get this Vista crap working.
> Seriously...without that piece of paper, my days as a programmer are

coming
> to a close...and no, I ain't happy about it.
>
> - Kev
>
> "BeastFish" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:f59734$rve$1@aioe.org...
> | Wow, Microsoft's hearts must all be a-flutter with how the masses are

just
> | rushing out to get Vista, reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch doll riots of
> | 20-some years ago <g>

DArnold

Re: Vista privlidges and VB6
Kevin Provance wrote:
> Trust me dude...none of this is by personal choice. I'd be content to stay
> with XP and programming for it. Unfortunately, because most of my end users
> are um...easily led and because laptops are dirt cheap now, it seems that
> everyday I get letters from a few more of them that have moved to Vista and
> want to know why my programs are not working. So now I have no choice but
> to dive into the abyss blindfolded if I ever expect to keep feeding my
> family, ya know?
>
> I have no formal college education in computer science (I was a music major
> for all the good it did me) and after experimenting with help wanted adds in
> the field where I am most proficient, I am turned away for not having the
> proper education. Of course running my own biz for 10 years dealing with
> everything from coding, to administration to webmaster makes no difference.
>

> I'm pretty hosed if I cannot get this Vista crap working.
> Seriously...without that piece of paper, my days as a programmer are coming
> to a close...and no, I ain't happy about it.

You simply get VS 2005 and convert you applications to VB.NET. You can
buy the full version of VS 2005 or download VS 2005 Express which is free.

They have 3rd party tools that will convert your VB 6 code to VB.NET.

If you want to come up to speed as quickly as possible, then may I
suggest this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex.../learningpath/

You can find other articles concerning the manifest.

http://blogs.msdn.com/nikhiln/archiv...-in-vista.aspx

Most likely, you can get your VB 6 applications to run on Vista, but you
need to post to a MS.Public *Programmers* NG concerning VB 6 or VB.NET,
as you are most likely not the only programmer that has gone down this
path using Vista.