What is causing this ???????????

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Debweb

What is causing this ???????????
Here is the short version- Have had a new computer with Vista Premium for 4
weeks and have had this problem almost since then.
It was at first only on one site that I am on daily and though I got rid of
it but it has
started again. I get aboutblank white page that covers up the page that I
select. Aboutblank sometimes flashes in the address bar. It has not affected
my home page but if I go to Internet options where I have made bellsouth my
home page, under default is msn but if I click blank page it says aboutblank.
Have tried to delete it but won't. I had heard this could be spyware so I
have used adaware, cwshredder and about 4 others but still there. A tech on a
site looked at my hijackthis report and had me delete a few things and it
went away off this site but started when I would search for something. I have
also heard this could pertain to IE7 settings though mine are on default my
tabbing is un enabled.
Any idea what this is and how to fix it?

Deb
Spirit

Re: What is causing this ???????????
Try this - CLOSE IE Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc

find HOSTS and right click and rename it to HOSTSold or similar.

Try IE now.... if this solves the problem HOSTS is an editable text file
so you can use Notepad or Wordpad to edit it.

"Debweb" <Debweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is the short version- Have had a new computer with Vista Premium for
> 4
> weeks and have had this problem almost since then.
> It was at first only on one site that I am on daily and though I got rid
> of
> it but it has
> started again. I get aboutblank white page that covers up the page that I
> select. Aboutblank sometimes flashes in the address bar. It has not
> affected
> my home page but if I go to Internet options where I have made bellsouth
> my
> home page, under default is msn but if I click blank page it says
> aboutblank.
> Have tried to delete it but won't. I had heard this could be spyware so I
> have used adaware, cwshredder and about 4 others but still there. A tech
> on a
> site looked at my hijackthis report and had me delete a few things and it
> went away off this site but started when I would search for something. I
> have
> also heard this could pertain to IE7 settings though mine are on default
> my
> tabbing is un enabled.
> Any idea what this is and how to fix it?
>
> Deb

UnswoleLilDude

Re: What is causing this ???????????
Maybe I don't understand your problem but about:blank is what's supposed to
show up in the address bar when blank page is selected.

This is not spyware. This is perfectly normal.

"Debweb" <Debweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is the short version- Have had a new computer with Vista Premium for
> 4
> weeks and have had this problem almost since then.
> It was at first only on one site that I am on daily and though I got rid
> of
> it but it has
> started again. I get aboutblank white page that covers up the page that I
> select. Aboutblank sometimes flashes in the address bar. It has not
> affected
> my home page but if I go to Internet options where I have made bellsouth
> my
> home page, under default is msn but if I click blank page it says
> aboutblank.
> Have tried to delete it but won't. I had heard this could be spyware so I
> have used adaware, cwshredder and about 4 others but still there. A tech
> on a
> site looked at my hijackthis report and had me delete a few things and it
> went away off this site but started when I would search for something. I
> have
> also heard this could pertain to IE7 settings though mine are on default
> my
> tabbing is un enabled.
> Any idea what this is and how to fix it?
>
> Deb

Sharon F

Re: What is causing this ???????????
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:47:12 -0500, UnswoleLilDude wrote:

> Maybe I don't understand your problem but about:blank is what's supposed to
> show up in the address bar when blank page is selected.
>
> This is not spyware. This is perfectly normal.

Half right. There are situations where seeing that page is absolutely
normal. On the other hand, there was one browser hijacker that was quite
common a while back. It redirected to an invalid URL. Result: the "about:
blank" page came up. This malware was so common in its hay day that most
current anti-spyware programs and even antivirus programs include
protection against it.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User