Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca

Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
I cannot force Vista on my home machine to restart from a remote RDP
session. I've checked to make sure Administrators have remote
shutdown privilege but there's no option to restart or shutdown
available either from the start menu or from Taskmanager.

How can I fix this???

Thanks for any help!

Mac

Re: Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
Suggest you try the microsoft.public.windows.networking_sharing newsgroup
for better help.

<paquette@uwo.ca> wrote in message
news:1182195855.134845.299570@u2g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
>I cannot force Vista on my home machine to restart from a remote RDP
> session. I've checked to make sure Administrators have remote
> shutdown privilege but there's no option to restart or shutdown
> available either from the start menu or from Taskmanager.
>
> How can I fix this???
>
> Thanks for any help!

KDE

Re: Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
the shut down/ restart options are under the heading of "Windows Security"
on the right panel of the start menu. Mine is listed under "Help and
Support" and above the log-off button.

<paquette@uwo.ca> wrote in message
news:1182195855.134845.299570@u2g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
>I cannot force Vista on my home machine to restart from a remote RDP
> session. I've checked to make sure Administrators have remote
> shutdown privilege but there's no option to restart or shutdown
> available either from the start menu or from Taskmanager.
>
> How can I fix this???
>
> Thanks for any help!

maner

Re: Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
To power off: start->run then type "shutdown" and press enter
To reboot: start->run then type "shutdown -r" and press enter

The easy thing to to is create a desktop shortcut to these commands.

On Jun 18, 3:44 pm, "no_spam_paque...@uwo.ca" <paque...@uwo.ca> wrote:
> I cannot force Vista on my home machine to restart from a remote RDP
> session. I've checked to make sure Administrators have remote
> shutdown privilege but there's no option to restart or shutdown
> available either from the start menu or from Taskmanager.
>
> How can I fix this???
>
> Thanks for any help!

no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca

Re: Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
All I have above the logout button is a lock computer button!

On Jun 18, 6:19 pm, "KDE" <knott...@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
> the shut down/ restart options are under the heading of "Windows Security"
> on the right panel of the start menu. Mine is listed under "Help and
> Support" and above the log-off button.
>
> <paque...@uwo.ca> wrote in message
>
> news:1182195855.134845.299570@u2g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
>
> >I cannot force Vista on my home machine to restart from a remote RDP
> > session. I've checked to make sure Administrators have remote
> > shutdown privilege but there's no option to restart or shutdown
> > available either from the start menu or from Taskmanager.

> > How can I fix this???

> > Thanks for any help!

no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca

Re: Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
Okay--that works--thanks!

On Jun 18, 7:35 pm, maner <matt.tremb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To power off: start->run then type "shutdown" and press enter
> To reboot: start->run then type "shutdown -r" and press enter
>
> The easy thing to to is create a desktop shortcut to these commands.
>
> On Jun 18, 3:44 pm, "no_spam_paque...@uwo.ca" <paque...@uwo.ca> wrote:
>
> > I cannot force Vista on my home machine to restart from a remote RDP
> > session. I've checked to make sure Administrators have remote
> > shutdown privilege but there's no option to restart or shutdown
> > available either from the start menu or from Taskmanager.

> > How can I fix this???

> > Thanks for any help!

GradonSilverton

Re: Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
Of note, I would add the following...

For restart: shutdown -r -f
For Shutdown: shutdown -f

The -f switch forces any windows or errors that come up to close.

"no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca" wrote:

> Okay--that works--thanks!
>
> On Jun 18, 7:35 pm, maner <matt.tremb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To power off: start->run then type "shutdown" and press enter
> > To reboot: start->run then type "shutdown -r" and press enter
> >
> > The easy thing to to is create a desktop shortcut to these commands.
> >
> > On Jun 18, 3:44 pm, "no_spam_paque...@uwo.ca" <paque...@uwo.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > I cannot force Vista on my home machine to restart from a remote RDP
> > > session. I've checked to make sure Administrators have remote
> > > shutdown privilege but there's no option to restart or shutdown
> > > available either from the start menu or from Taskmanager.

> > > How can I fix this???

> > > Thanks for any help!

UnswoleLilDude

Re: Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
Try using the remote shutdown command. This guide should help.

http://www.maximumpcguides.com/use-t...rked-computer/

"GradonSilverton" <GradonSilverton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:120F0956-0E86-418F-896F-BC05BCB01874@microsoft.com...
> Of note, I would add the following...
>
> For restart: shutdown -r -f
> For Shutdown: shutdown -f
>
> The -f switch forces any windows or errors that come up to close.
>
> "no_spam_paquette@uwo.ca" wrote:
>
>> Okay--that works--thanks!
>>
>> On Jun 18, 7:35 pm, maner <matt.tremb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > To power off: start->run then type "shutdown" and press enter
>> > To reboot: start->run then type "shutdown -r" and press enter
>> >
>> > The easy thing to to is create a desktop shortcut to these commands.

Keith Patrick

Re: Can't force remote shutdown/restart from RDP session
It wouldn't do that on my XP installation either. You can either do the
aforementioned command line versions or try doing it from Task Manager's
menu.