Cannot access automatic update anymore

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

JD

Cannot access automatic update anymore
I have my personal laptop with Vista Ultimate. Everything was fine until I
use it to connect to my company's network via VPN. I believe a Group
security policy was pushed to my laptop and now, I cannot go
windowsupsdate.microsoft.com to download updates. Every time I go to the
control panel and clicked on update, it says some settings are set by my
admin.

Internally, my company's IT doesnt support Vista and we have no update
server for it and now my vista is stuck without any updates for months now.
Help

thanks
Richard G. Harper

Re: Cannot access automatic update anymore
There's no easy way to fix what your administrators have broken. They need
to put you in an OU or group that has explicitly removed their update server
settings so you can run Windows Updates again, then you need to log onto the
VPN again to apply the new policies.

"JD" <JD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have my personal laptop with Vista Ultimate. Everything was fine until I
> use it to connect to my company's network via VPN. I believe a Group
> security policy was pushed to my laptop and now, I cannot go
> windowsupsdate.microsoft.com to download updates. Every time I go to the
> control panel and clicked on update, it says some settings are set by my
> admin.
>
> Internally, my company's IT doesnt support Vista and we have no update
> server for it and now my vista is stuck without any updates for months
> now.
> Help
>
> thanks

Jimmy Brush

JD wrote:
> I have my personal laptop with Vista Ultimate. Everything was fine until I
> use it to connect to my company's network via VPN. I believe a Group
> security policy was pushed to my laptop and now, I cannot go
> windowsupsdate.microsoft.com to download updates. Every time I go to the
> control panel and clicked on update, it says some settings are set by my
> admin.
>
> Internally, my company's IT doesnt support Vista and we have no update
> server for it and now my vista is stuck without any updates for months now.
> Help
>
> thanks

Are you an administrator on your laptop?

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User