Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows alerts on .exe files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007
Mr. Krümel
 

Posts: n/a
Windows alerts on .exe files
Hi,

When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears, it
says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file can
damage your PC
(...)". Is there a way to set it off?

Thanks!
--
Directx 10, save us! ;p
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007
Evan Ren
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows alerts on .exe files
Click the right button and choose run as administrator, or you can turn off
UAC (but I don't advise you to do this)

"Mr. Krümel" <MrKrmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6600B276-4E7A-4DE4-97F3-FFD73BB36B86@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears, it
> says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file can
> damage your PC
> (...)". Is there a way to set it off?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Directx 10, save us! ;p


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007
Mr. Krümel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows alerts on .exe files
is there no way to disable only those warnings, without turning UAC off?

thanks!

--
Directx 10, save us! ;p


"Evan Ren" wrote:

> Click the right button and choose run as administrator, or you can turn off
> UAC (but I don't advise you to do this)
>
> "Mr. Krümel" <MrKrmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6600B276-4E7A-4DE4-97F3-FFD73BB36B86@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears, it
> > says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file can
> > damage your PC
> > (...)". Is there a way to set it off?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Directx 10, save us! ;p

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2007
Spirit
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows alerts on .exe files
You can put UAC in SILENT MODE, look here :

http://www.tweak-uac.com/
Easy and Free

"Mr. Krümel" <MrKrmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CE9AE49B-22A9-41E4-9E8F-2E4ADFE551A9@microsoft.com...
> is there no way to disable only those warnings, without turning UAC off?
>
> thanks!
>
> --
> Directx 10, save us! ;p
>
>
> "Evan Ren" wrote:
>
>> Click the right button and choose run as administrator, or you can turn
>> off
>> UAC (but I don't advise you to do this)
>>
>> "Mr. Krümel" <MrKrmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:6600B276-4E7A-4DE4-97F3-FFD73BB36B86@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears,
>> > it
>> > says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file
>> > can
>> > damage your PC
>> > (...)". Is there a way to set it off?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > --
>> > Directx 10, save us! ;p

>>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows alerts on .exe files
"Spirit" <noone@notthere.net> wrote
> You can put UAC in SILENT MODE, look here :
>
> http://www.tweak-uac.com/
> Easy and Free


Know that doing so defeats some of the protection afforded by UAC.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2007
Jimmy Brush
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows alerts on .exe files
Mr. Krümel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears, it
> says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file can
> damage your PC
> (...)". Is there a way to set it off?
>
> Thanks!


Try right-clicking the program, clicking properties, and clicking an
unblock button if it exists.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2007
Alun Jones
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows alerts on .exe files
My sink is blocked...
Turn off UAC, that'll clear it.

My knee hurts...
Turn off UAC, that'll make it better.

I get a dialog box in Windows Vista ...
Turn off UAC, then the dialog will go away.

What a load of claptrap.

The dialog you describe (without really actually 100% identifying it by
telling us what the text really is - even if all you have is text in your
native language) sounds like the Attachment Execution warning, which is in
Vista, Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003, and has nothing to do with
UAC. Turning off UAC will only irritate you and remove UAC's assistance.

Right-click on the file and choose "Properties". Now, at the foot of the
dialog, you'll see a button that says "Unblock". That's all you have to do
to make this executable stop prompting you every time you run it.

What you are seeing here is the "Attachment Execution Service" in action -
whenever an executable arrives on your system from the Internet, whether by
email as an attachment, or as an Internet download, it gets marked (in an
NTFS alternate data stream) with a "mark of the web" - a ZoneID setting
saying what zone the file originated in (zone 3 means "Internet", zone 4
means "Restricted", etc).

When you click "Unblock", this mark of the web is removed, and the file can
execute without requiring the approval of the Attachment Execution Service's
warning dialog.

You can prevent the dialog from appearing for all files, but that wouldn't
be very secure, now, would it?

Alun.
~~~~

"Evan Ren" <evanren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:6BF49E51-1128-40A9-94D4-A2FCA4C722F4@microsoft.com...
> Click the right button and choose run as administrator, or you can turn
> off UAC (but I don't advise you to do this)
>
> "Mr. Krmel" <MrKrmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6600B276-4E7A-4DE4-97F3-FFD73BB36B86@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears, it
>> says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file can
>> damage your PC
>> (...)". Is there a way to set it off?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Directx 10, save us! ;p

>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2007
soherosman@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows alerts on .exe files
On Jun 17, 3:35 pm, Mr. Krmel <MrKr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears, it
> says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file can
> damage your PC
> (...)". Is there a way to set it off?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Directx 10, save us! ;p



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2007
Dwolfe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows alerts on .exe files
I have attachments in a zip file that I recieved via IM. The Unblock button
does not exist. Now what?

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Mr. Krümel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears, it
> > says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file can
> > damage your PC
> > (...)". Is there a way to set it off?
> >
> > Thanks!

>
> Try right-clicking the program, clicking properties, and clicking an
> unblock button if it exists.
>
> --
> -JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.exe files Gerry microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-13-2007 08:34
Either erroneous Windows Security Alerts or I got a Major Problem sgmurray microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 3 05-30-2007 03:45
Windows Security Alerts Issue? Steven Hilgendorf microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 05-06-2007 18:52
Missing digital signatures for hkcmde.exe igfxtray.exe igfxpers.exe Michael Chare microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-25-2007 21:11
zip files into exe of stationery files Tracy microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 12 03-02-2007 01:59




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:16.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120