User Account Control

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Diane Walker

User Account Control
We are running Windows Vista Business. The user belongs to a Local
Administrators group. However, every time she clicks on this excutable
file, it prompts the User Account Control window. The message said "Don't
run the program unless you know where it's from or you've used it before."
Is there a way to set it up so that it will not prompt the User Account
Control window when she clicks on this executable file?

Thanks.

Diane

Spirit

Re: User Account Control
You can turn UAC off OR better set it to SILENT so UAC
works but does not show the nag.

This utility does it easily :

http://www.tweak-uac.com/

"Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We are running Windows Vista Business. The user belongs to a Local
> Administrators group. However, every time she clicks on this excutable
> file, it prompts the User Account Control window. The message said
> "Don't
> run the program unless you know where it's from or you've used it before."
> Is there a way to set it up so that it will not prompt the User Account
> Control window when she clicks on this executable file?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Diane

Rock

Re: User Account Control
"Diane Walker" wrote
> We are running Windows Vista Business. The user belongs to a Local
> Administrators group. However, every time she clicks on this excutable
> file, it prompts the User Account Control window. The message said
> "Don't
> run the program unless you know where it's from or you've used it before."
> Is there a way to set it up so that it will not prompt the User Account
> Control window when she clicks on this executable file?

No, with UAC enabled, you cannot grant permission in advance for all future
running of the program. When a program runs that requests admin privileges
the user needs to either supply credentials (if they are a standard user) or
elevate (if they are a member of the admin group). The issue is that there
is no way for the OS to know in advance that the user intended to run the
program that time. It's not an issue of trusting the program, it's an issue
of intent.

I would not recommend turning off UAC.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: User Account Control
you might ask the authors of the program if they have a version that does not require administrative access.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uorwOWKsHHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
We are running Windows Vista Business. The user belongs to a Local
Administrators group. However, every time she clicks on this excutable
file, it prompts the User Account Control window. The message said "Don't
run the program unless you know where it's from or you've used it before."
Is there a way to set it up so that it will not prompt the User Account
Control window when she clicks on this executable file?

Thanks.

Diane

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: User Account Control
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 23:19:42 -0700, "Spirit" <noone@notthere.net>
wrote:

>You can turn UAC off OR better set it to SILENT so UAC
>works but does not show the nag.

You *can* turn it off, but I recommend that you do not. If you do, you
will find that some program installations will fail, and typically
without their giving you a hint as to why.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup