UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Ruben

UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)
From what I have read, secpol.msc does not exist in vista home premium. I
would really like to set certain programs to be "elevated without prompting"
so that I do not have to see the prompt every time, but all the help files
point me to secpol.msc. I have read about ways to do this, but I would really
like to avoid directly messing with the registry. Has Microsoft released
anything to help with this problem and I just cannot find it? If not, are
they planning on fixing this?
brink

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)

Hi Ruben,

Here's how:
1. Right click on the program you want to elevate.
2. Click Properties.
3. Click Compatibility tab.
4. Check "Run this program as an administrator".
5. Click OK to apply.

You might also check this link out. It will show you how to see a list
of programs that you are using compatibility mode on and what they are
set on.

http://tinyurl.com/yus9a4

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Ruben

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)
Hmmm... Maybe I need to rephrase my question...
I allready marked the programs to "Run this program as Administrator"
(although the place the information in the link is good to know)... What I am
really trying to do is to get UAC to not ask me if I am sure I want to run a
program because it says "An unidentified program wants access to your
computer." And i am really interested to know if microsoft has (or is working
on) a "secpol.msc" or an equvilent so I can easily change the behavoir of UAC
without just turning it off.

"brink" wrote:

> Hi Ruben,
>
> Here's how:
> 1. Right click on the program you want to elevate.
> 2. Click Properties.
> 3. Click Compatibility tab.
> 4. Check "Run this program as an administrator".
> 5. Click OK to apply.
>
> You might also check this link out. It will show you how to see a list
> of programs that you are using compatibility mode on and what they are
> set on.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yus9a4
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.

brink

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)

Ruben,

You can go to this link and scroll down a bit and do this section:
DISABLE UAC FOR ADMINISTRATORS ONLY:

http://tinyurl.com/2velpl

Instead of turning UAC off completely, this way acts like the group
policy in Vista Ultimate by "elevating priviledge without prompting".
It leaves UAC on for Protected mode in IE7 and for Standard user
accounts, but it will no longer ask you (Administrator account) another
"CONTINUE" question again. Unless of course you reverse this.

http://tinyurl.com/2velpl

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
kurtiscragun

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)
google "dtweak" it will disable this with one click as well as allow you to
customize vista loads eaiser.

"brink" wrote:

> Ruben,
>
> You can go to this link and scroll down a bit and do this section:
> DISABLE UAC FOR ADMINISTRATORS ONLY:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2velpl
>
> Instead of turning UAC off completely, this way acts like the group
> policy in Vista Ultimate by "elevating priviledge without prompting".
> It leaves UAC on for Protected mode in IE7 and for Standard user
> accounts, but it will no longer ask you (Administrator account) another
> "CONTINUE" question again. Unless of course you reverse this.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2velpl
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.

Ruben

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)
As it says in my previous post, I do NOT wish to disable UAC.
Also, I am not getting a "CONTINUE" question... I am getting a
"Allow/Cancel" message...

"brink" wrote:

> Ruben,
>
> You can go to this link and scroll down a bit and do this section:
> DISABLE UAC FOR ADMINISTRATORS ONLY:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2velpl
>
> Instead of turning UAC off completely, this way acts like the group
> policy in Vista Ultimate by "elevating priviledge without prompting".
> It leaves UAC on for Protected mode in IE7 and for Standard user
> accounts, but it will no longer ask you (Administrator account) another
> "CONTINUE" question again. Unless of course you reverse this.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2velpl
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.

Ruben

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)
As it says in my previous post, I do NOT wish to disable UAC... I just want
to make exceptions for my commonly used programs...

"brink" wrote:

> Ruben,
>
> You can go to this link and scroll down a bit and do this section:
> DISABLE UAC FOR ADMINISTRATORS ONLY:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2velpl
>
> Instead of turning UAC off completely, this way acts like the group
> policy in Vista Ultimate by "elevating priviledge without prompting".
> It leaves UAC on for Protected mode in IE7 and for Standard user
> accounts, but it will no longer ask you (Administrator account) another
> "CONTINUE" question again. Unless of course you reverse this.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2velpl
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.

Ruben

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)
Although dtweak is really cool, it has an all encompasing message silencer...
I would like to be able to silence messages for specific programs. I am
getting the feeling like nothing exists that can do this (I am not even sure
if secpol.msc can do this because I dont have it... can someone confirm
this?)... mostly I am just really annoyed that the help files point me to a
program that doesnt exist. Did they just forget to add it?... Were they not
able to get it to work properly on premium so they just left it out?!! (O...
and please let me know if you think this post belongs in another section... I
wasnt sure which category to put it under)

"kurtiscragun" wrote:

> google "dtweak" it will disable this with one click as well as allow you to
> customize vista loads eaiser.

Ruben

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)
Umm... When I posted this message there was an error... so it is
incomplete... please read the complete one...

"Ruben" wrote:

> As it says in my previous post, I do NOT wish to disable UAC.
> Also, I am not getting a "CONTINUE" question... I am getting a
> "Allow/Cancel" message...
>
> "brink" wrote:
>

> > Ruben,
> >
> > You can go to this link and scroll down a bit and do this section:
> > DISABLE UAC FOR ADMINISTRATORS ONLY:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2velpl
> >
> > Instead of turning UAC off completely, this way acts like the group
> > policy in Vista Ultimate by "elevating priviledge without prompting".
> > It leaves UAC on for Protected mode in IE7 and for Standard user
> > accounts, but it will no longer ask you (Administrator account) another
> > "CONTINUE" question again. Unless of course you reverse this.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2velpl
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Shawn
> >

> > --
> > brink
> >
> > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> > Please post feedback to help others.

Ruben

Re: UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)
O... and the second link is kinda useless to me because I am not on vista
Ultimate...