adding DLLs to windows\system - access denied

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Wanderer

adding DLLs to windows\system - access denied
I need to add in DLLs, and the system isn't letting me. It isn't giving me
the option, it's just stopping me from putting the DLL in the file completely.

Look, it's my computer, I'm an adult, and I can take calculated risks with
my machine - I even back up first!

I want to know how to disable these "security" measures that are only
keeping me from what I want to do with the machine. There's absolutely
nothing on here that anyone else would want, anyway.
Kerry Brown

Re: adding DLLs to windows\system - access denied
"Wanderer" <Wanderer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to add in DLLs, and the system isn't letting me. It isn't giving me
> the option, it's just stopping me from putting the DLL in the file
> completely.
>
> Look, it's my computer, I'm an adult, and I can take calculated risks with
> my machine - I even back up first!
>
> I want to know how to disable these "security" measures that are only
> keeping me from what I want to do with the machine. There's absolutely
> nothing on here that anyone else would want, anyway.

Actually there is something that other's covet. It's your system itself. It
can be used as part of a network of computers to attack other computers,
send spam, or whatever. A lot of malware isn't interested in what's on your
computer but what can be done with your computer.

How are you trying to "add in Dlls" and what is the error message you are
seeing?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Wanderer

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Wanderer" <Wanderer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to add in DLLs, and the system isn't letting me. It isn't giving me
> > the option, it's just stopping me from putting the DLL in the file
> > completely.
> >
> > Look, it's my computer, I'm an adult, and I can take calculated risks with
> > my machine - I even back up first!
> >
> > I want to know how to disable these "security" measures that are only
> > keeping me from what I want to do with the machine. There's absolutely
> > nothing on here that anyone else would want, anyway.

> Actually there is something that other's covet. It's your system itself. It
> can be used as part of a network of computers to attack other computers,
> send spam, or whatever. A lot of malware isn't interested in what's on your
> computer but what can be done with your computer.
>
> How are you trying to "add in Dlls" and what is the error message you are
> seeing?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

No, there isn't. I use a dial up connection from this machine, so it's
useless to them.

I was running a new program, it told me that I needed a certain dll to run.
I searched for it online, found it, unzipped it, and tried to plunk it into
c:\windows\system, and was told I could not. I didn't get an error message,
I was simply told I was not authorized to do that. It gave me the options of
"break"ing my attempt or canceling it.

Thanks for your attention, but I'm beyond fed up with MS treating me like an
infant being bucked into a carseat for the ride.

> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "Wanderer" <Wanderer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I need to add in DLLs, and the system isn't letting me. It isn't giving
>> >me
>> > the option, it's just stopping me from putting the DLL in the file
>> > completely.
>> >
>> > Look, it's my computer, I'm an adult, and I can take calculated risks
>> > with
>> > my machine - I even back up first!
>> >
>> > I want to know how to disable these "security" measures that are only
>> > keeping me from what I want to do with the machine. There's absolutely
>> > nothing on here that anyone else would want, anyway.

>> Actually there is something that other's covet. It's your system itself.
>> It
>> can be used as part of a network of computers to attack other computers,
>> send spam, or whatever. A lot of malware isn't interested in what's on
>> your
>> computer but what can be done with your computer.
>>
>> How are you trying to "add in Dlls" and what is the error message you are
>> seeing?
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

> No, there isn't. I use a dial up connection from this machine, so it's
> useless to them.
>
> I was running a new program, it told me that I needed a certain dll to
> run.
> I searched for it online, found it, unzipped it, and tried to plunk it
> into
> c:\windows\system, and was told I could not. I didn't get an error
> message,
> I was simply told I was not authorized to do that. It gave me the options
> of
> "break"ing my attempt or canceling it.
>
> Thanks for your attention, but I'm beyond fed up with MS treating me like
> an
> infant being bucked into a carseat for the ride.

Could you please post the exact wording of the message. I'm trying to
duplicate the problem and can't. Thanks.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Jimmy Brush

Wanderer wrote:
> I need to add in DLLs, and the system isn't letting me. It isn't giving me
> the option, it's just stopping me from putting the DLL in the file completely.
>
> Look, it's my computer, I'm an adult, and I can take calculated risks with
> my machine - I even back up first!
>
> I want to know how to disable these "security" measures that are only
> keeping me from what I want to do with the machine. There's absolutely
> nothing on here that anyone else would want, anyway.

- What program are you using to put the file in the folder? If you're
not using windows explorer, try using it.
- Are you sure the file isn't already there?
- You probably need to put it in 'system32', not system.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Mr. Arnold

Re: adding DLLs to windows\system - access denied

> No, there isn't. I use a dial up connection from this machine, so it's
> useless to them.

I use dial-up too. I don't know what makes users think that just because
they are using dial-up, that the machine is not as vulnerable to
attack/compromise as any other means of connecting to the Internet, whether
that be BB, DSL, or satellite.

There is no protection from the Internet with one thinking that dial-up is
more secure, because it's not more secure. And one shouldn't think that a
compromised machine on dial-up is not valuable to a hacker using that
machine to attack/compromise networks on the Internet.

Alun Jones

Re: adding DLLs to windows\system - access denied
"Wanderer" <Wanderer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No, there isn't. I use a dial up connection from this machine, so it's
> useless to them.

Yes, and my bank account never has more than a few thousand dollars in it,
so it'd be useless for someone to steal my cheque book.

> I was running a new program, it told me that I needed a certain dll to
> run.
> I searched for it online, found it, unzipped it, and tried to plunk it
> into
> c:\windows\system, and was told I could not. I didn't get an error
> message,
> I was simply told I was not authorized to do that. It gave me the options
> of
> "break"ing my attempt or canceling it.
>
> Thanks for your attention, but I'm beyond fed up with MS treating me like
> an
> infant being buckled into a carseat for the ride.

Perhaps, if you're the sort of person who sees a message "fred.dll not
found", and then goes and unzips it and copies the file into his Windows
System directory, that might just be a good definition.

Most DLLs require installation, not mere copying. Many DLLs are sensitive to
operating system differences.

If you install properly, with an install script written to good practices,
this should not be as hard as you are making it.

Alun.
~~~~