Which One?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Zygy

Which One?
Now that Ad-Aware (which I consider the best in its class) will not be
ready for Windows Vista until the fall, which is the second best I should
install meanwhile?

Rock

Re: Which One?
"Zygy" wrote
> Now that Ad-Aware (which I consider the best in its class) will not be
> ready for Windows Vista until the fall, which is the second best I should
> install meanwhile?

Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 runs fine on Vista. It's the new version, 2007,
that isn't Vista compatible yet.

SuperAnti-Spyware runs fine on Vista and they have a free version.

Spybot S&D runs on Vista. Just don't use the immunize function.

HiJackThis runs on Vista, I believe.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

David Dickinson

Re: Which One?
"Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Now that Ad-Aware (which I consider the best in its class) will not be
> ready for Windows Vista until the fall, which is the second best I should
> install meanwhile?

Webroot Spy Sweeper is well-respected and compatible with Vista.
http://www.webroot.com/

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

Zygy

Re: Which One?
There is no point (and waist of money) in buying the Ad-Aware Personal now
and then when the 2007 Vista compatible version is available, buying the
Ad-Aware Pro, which is the best in my opinion.
"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Zygy" wrote
>> Now that Ad-Aware (which I consider the best in its class) will not be
>> ready for Windows Vista until the fall, which is the second best I should
>> install meanwhile?

> Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 runs fine on Vista. It's the new version, 2007,
> that isn't Vista compatible yet.
>
> SuperAnti-Spyware runs fine on Vista and they have a free version.
>
> Spybot S&D runs on Vista. Just don't use the immunize function.
>
> HiJackThis runs on Vista, I believe.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Zygy

Re: Which One?
Thank you both for your postings. They were great help, but in the end I
went for the free one.
"David ****inson" <eveningstar@die-spammer-die.mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Now that Ad-Aware (which I consider the best in its class) will not be
>> ready for Windows Vista until the fall, which is the second best I should
>> install meanwhile?

> Webroot Spy Sweeper is well-respected and compatible with Vista.
> http://www.webroot.com/
>
> --
> David ****inson
> eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org
> Please reply only to the newsgroup, not by email.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Which One?
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:30:12 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you both for your postings. They were great help, but in the end I
>went for the free one.

Over and above the other replies, be aware that a single anti-spyware
program, whichever it is, is *not* enough to protect you. None is good
enough and you need at least two. Note what Eric Howes, who has done
extensive testing on Anti-Spyware products, states:

"No single anti-spyware scanner removes everything. Even the
best-performing anti-spyware scanner in these tests missed fully one
quarter of the "critical" files and Registry entries" See
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

I personally run the following anti-spyware programs (all are free):

Spyware Blaster
Adaware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Windows Defender.

>"David ****inson" <eveningstar@die-spammer-die.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Now that Ad-Aware (which I consider the best in its class) will not be
>>> ready for Windows Vista until the fall, which is the second best I should
>>> install meanwhile?

>> Webroot Spy Sweeper is well-respected and compatible with Vista.
>> http://www.webroot.com/
>>
>> --
>> David ****inson
>> eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup, not by email.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Rock

Re: Which One?
"Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote
> There is no point (and waist of money) in buying the Ad-Aware Personal now
> and then when the 2007 Vista compatible version is available, buying the
> Ad-Aware Pro, which is the best in my opinion.

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote
>> "Zygy" wrote
>>> Now that Ad-Aware (which I consider the best in its class) will not be
>>> ready for Windows Vista until the fall, which is the second best I
>>> should install meanwhile?

>> Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 runs fine on Vista. It's the new version,
>> 2007, that isn't Vista compatible yet.
>>
>> SuperAnti-Spyware runs fine on Vista and they have a free version.
>>
>> Spybot S&D runs on Vista. Just don't use the immunize function.
>>
>> HiJackThis runs on Vista, I believe.

Adaware SE Personal is free. Why buy it?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Which One?
Ken

SpywareBlaster and Spybot 'immunization' features screw up Windows Mail big
time after recent updates..

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:30:12 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you both for your postings. They were great help, but in the end I
>>went for the free one.

> Over and above the other replies, be aware that a single anti-spyware
> program, whichever it is, is *not* enough to protect you. None is good
> enough and you need at least two. Note what Eric Howes, who has done
> extensive testing on Anti-Spyware products, states:
>
> "No single anti-spyware scanner removes everything. Even the
> best-performing anti-spyware scanner in these tests missed fully one
> quarter of the "critical" files and Registry entries" See
> http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm
>
> I personally run the following anti-spyware programs (all are free):
>
> Spyware Blaster
> Adaware
> Spybot Search and Destroy
> Windows Defender.
>

>>"David ****inson" <eveningstar@die-spammer-die.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Webroot Spy Sweeper is well-respected and compatible with Vista.
>>> http://www.webroot.com/
>>>
>>> --
>>> David ****inson
>>> eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org
>>> Please reply only to the newsgroup, not by email.
>>>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Which One?
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:19:53 -0400, "Mike Hall - MVP"
<mikehall@mvps.org> wrote:

>Ken
>
>SpywareBlaster and Spybot 'immunization' features screw up Windows Mail big
>time after recent updates..

Thanks, Mike. I don't use Windows Mail, and I wasn't aware of this.

What are the symptoms of this screwup?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Iuvenalis

Re: Which One?
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:19:53 -0400, "Mike Hall - MVP"
> <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Ken
>>
>>SpywareBlaster and Spybot 'immunization' features screw up Windows Mail
>>big
>>time after recent updates..

> Thanks, Mike. I don't use Windows Mail, and I wasn't aware of this.
>
> What are the symptoms of this screwup?

I use Windows Mail & have Spybot updated.
I have experienced nothing out of the ordinary.
Windows Mail is running fine here.