Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Bitlocker and TMP

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
Tazinfo
 

Posts: n/a
Bitlocker and TMP
I have a machine with a TMP 1.2 that will allow Bitlocker to be turned on.
However, I would like to use only a USB to Bitlock the system partition. I
enabled USB through the Group Policies, but it appears that I can only use
the USB in conjunction with the TPM. I was told that there is a Registry
setting that can allow me to use only the USB even though there is an enabled
TPM 1.2 chip on the board. Is there such a setting and what is it?

Alternatively, I imagine that I could disable the TPM in the BIOS, but I
haven't tried this as it would be my least desired method.

Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
Richard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Bitlocker and TMP
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Tazinfo wrote:

> I have a machine with a TMP 1.2 that will allow Bitlocker to be turned on.
> However, I would like to use only a USB to Bitlock the system partition. I
> enabled USB through the Group Policies, but it appears that I can only use
> the USB in conjunction with the TPM. I was told that there is a Registry
> setting that can allow me to use only the USB even though there is an enabled
> TPM 1.2 chip on the board. Is there such a setting and what is it?
>
> Alternatively, I imagine that I could disable the TPM in the BIOS, but I
> haven't tried this as it would be my least desired method.
>
> Any help appreciated.


I think you need to disable the TMP so bitlocker cannot see it.
I don't understand why you don't want to disable it if you are sure you
don't want to use it?
BTW I use bitlocker with a usb key...works great.




-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFGcCHBqDp2fu862vwRAsChAKCLLG0Na+RzRxhLkyS7HK rxA9qgkgCfflfm
DHA9lXu68yiS0PU6e4ioc9o=
=hmFu
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
Tazinfo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Bitlocker and TMP


"Richard" wrote:

>
> I think you need to disable the TMP so bitlocker cannot see it.
> I don't understand why you don't want to disable it if you are sure you
> don't want to use it?
> BTW I use bitlocker with a usb key...works great.



Thanks,

I tried that both in the BIOS and through the TPM Management (from the
Bitlocker screen). When I click "Turn on Bitlocker," I get the message
telling me that this computer requires the TPM to be enabled. BTW, in the
Group Policy, I disallowed "startup key with TPM" and "startup PIN with TPM."

I have used Bitlocker with a USB key on other machines and it does work great.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
Richard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Bitlocker and TMP
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Tazinfo wrote:
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
>> I think you need to disable the TMP so bitlocker cannot see it.
>> I don't understand why you don't want to disable it if you are sure you
>> don't want to use it?
>> BTW I use bitlocker with a usb key...works great.

>
>
> Thanks,
>
> I tried that both in the BIOS and through the TPM Management (from the
> Bitlocker screen). When I click "Turn on Bitlocker," I get the message
> telling me that this computer requires the TPM to be enabled. BTW, in the
> Group Policy, I disallowed "startup key with TPM" and "startup PIN with TPM."
>
> I have used Bitlocker with a USB key on other machines and it does work great.


Sorry, then I cannot help further.
I thought you would be able to disable the TPM in the BIOS.



-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFGcEMcqDp2fu862vwRAqTfAKCEGV8ofcui1hGyjSve4q 1lNVZZaACfWLCy
LsrCCJy1EFLVTwttk1avtIE=
=waIH
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007
Tazinfo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Bitlocker and TMP


"Richard" wrote:


> Sorry, then I cannot help further.
> I thought you would be able to disable the TPM in the BIOS.
>


Thanks anyway. My curent thought is that the TPM was enabled when I
installed VISTA and a Registry was set indication a compatible TPM is present
in the machine. I could try to re-install VISTA with the TPM in the disabled
state and see if that makes a difference, but if I can find any such Registry
key, it would save me the effort.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2007
Dennis Pack
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Bitlocker and TMP
Tazinfo:
If you go into gpedit.msc, Windows Components, BitLocker drive
encryption, right click control panel setup: enable advanced startup
options, properties. You should be able create or skip TPM options. Have a
great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
Office Prof. Plus 2007
"Tazinfo" <Tazinfo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9E68EBA5-43B9-4F0E-9756-465C088C3415@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
>
>> Sorry, then I cannot help further.
>> I thought you would be able to disable the TPM in the BIOS.
>>

>
> Thanks anyway. My curent thought is that the TPM was enabled when I
> installed VISTA and a Registry was set indication a compatible TPM is
> present
> in the machine. I could try to re-install VISTA with the TPM in the
> disabled
> state and see if that makes a difference, but if I can find any such
> Registry
> key, it would save me the effort.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-16-2007
Robert Kochem
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Bitlocker and TMP
Tazinfo schrieb:

> I have a machine with a TMP 1.2 that will allow Bitlocker to be turned on.
> However, I would like to use only a USB to Bitlock the system partition. I
> enabled USB through the Group Policies, but it appears that I can only use
> the USB in conjunction with the TPM. I was told that there is a Registry
> setting that can allow me to use only the USB even though there is an enabled
> TPM 1.2 chip on the board. Is there such a setting and what is it?


That should not be a big problem if you use the manage-bde.wsf script on
the command-line instead of this incomplete GUI. With this scriipt you can
add/delete as many "protectors" (passwords, externals keys or tpm based
keys for starting up) as you want.

Robert
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista's TMP Files Or Tsemah microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 05-27-2007 17:36
Re: Offline files generates TMP files?? stormytoad microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-12-2007 15:32
Vista shows .tmp files when not supposed to Dan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-15-2007 02:25
bitlocker again hermes microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 3 03-04-2007 00:43
BitLocker. Dennis Pack microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-19-2007 07:04




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:54.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120