File May Be Corrupted

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Smudjj

File May Be Corrupted
I am unable to open doc. files my teachers has sent me to study. Everytime is
says Windows was unable to open. The file may be corrupted, yet when I use
the computer from school, with an older version of Windows I have no
problems. Please Help!! I need to study!!!
Mac

Re: File May Be Corrupted
You need a word processor program to open doc files. The Windows at your
school must have a program like Word installed.

You could install OpenOffice (it's free).

Look here - http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

"Smudjj" <Smudjj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to open doc. files my teachers has sent me to study. Everytime
>is
> says Windows was unable to open. The file may be corrupted, yet when I use
> the computer from school, with an older version of Windows I have no
> problems. Please Help!! I need to study!!!

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: File May Be Corrupted
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:25:00 -0700, Smudjj
<Smudjj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am unable to open doc. files my teachers has sent me to study. Everytime is
>says Windows was unable to open. The file may be corrupted, yet when I use
>the computer from school, with an older version of Windows I have no
>problems. Please Help!! I need to study!!!

This has nothing to do with what version of Windows you have. To open
a doc file, you need to have Microsoft Word, or some compatible
program, installed.

You can download a free Word viewer from
or http://tinyurl.com/5ye9c

That will let you read existing doc files, but not create your own or
modify them.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Richard

Re: File May Be Corrupted
Cal Bear '66

Re: File May Be Corrupted
Assuming you have Word, or the Word Viewer, perhaps the files are "blocked"
since they were downloaded. To "unblock" them right click and press the Unblock
button and then Apply button. Also, are these files in the new Office 2007
..docx format?

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Smudjj" <Smudjj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to open doc. files my teachers has sent me to study. Everytime is
> says Windows was unable to open. The file may be corrupted, yet when I use
> the computer from school, with an older version of Windows I have no
> problems. Please Help!! I need to study!!!

mikeyhsd

Re: File May Be Corrupted
if you do not have WORD installed on your computer and do not OWN a version of it.
you can install a WORD viewer from MS for free.
search ms for word viewer.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Smudjj" <Smudjj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37133BB1-0859-418C-946A-07F9D734A97C@microsoft.com...
I am unable to open doc. files my teachers has sent me to study. Everytime is
says Windows was unable to open. The file may be corrupted, yet when I use
the computer from school, with an older version of Windows I have no
problems. Please Help!! I need to study!!!
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: File May Be Corrupted
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:13:11 GMT, Richard
<cerberusVIII@googlemail.com> wrote:

>Smudjj wrote:
>
>> I am unable to open doc. files my teachers has sent me to study. Everytime is
>> says Windows was unable to open. The file may be corrupted, yet when I use
>> the computer from school, with an older version of Windows I have no
>> problems. Please Help!! I need to study!!!

>Download the free & excellent OpenOffice at www.openoffice.org it will
>let you read doc files & create them & much more.

It's important, however, to recognize that although OpenOffice will
let you read and create doc files, it is *not* Word. If the document
you are reading has simple formatting, any differences in how it
renders it will likely be slight or nonexistent. But if the formatting
is more complex, the rendering differences can be more severe.

I don't mean to recommend against OpenOffice, but only to point out
that for someone who needs to open files created by others (such as
the OP here), it may or may not be adequate to the task. If you want
to use it to create your own doc files, however, it's probably fine
for most people.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Mac

Re: File May Be Corrupted
Yes, Ken is right about complex formatting issues...

There is also the trial version of Microsoft Office 2007 which includes Word
2007. As a student you may be entitled to a very cheap deal on purchasing it
after the trial.

http://us1.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx

Students should look here too...

http://us7.trymicrosoftoffice.com/pr...re=en-US&#tabs

The trials last about 2 months.

Personally I do like OpenOffice ;-) even though I have a purchased version
of Micrsosoft Office 2000 Pro which now lies unused (and un-upgraded).