Read Only - Folders Problem!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

danonone

Read Only - Folders Problem!
HI there,

I have a new instal of Vista, I am trying to arrange the folders how I used
to have them on my old XP PC.

When I copy o music album folder for example, Vista will not allow me to
Paste it to the "Music" folder.

I notice that every folder is set to "Read Only". Vista asks me for
permission to move the folder but still get an access denied error.

Also if I try and remove the RO from the folder it seems to do it but then
its still RO!!

This is really doing my head in, I love Vista so far but at the moment I
want to throw it out the window.

Thanks in anticipation!

Dan
Tim

Re: Read Only - Folders Problem!
If you are truly arranging your folders like they were with XP, then you
need to be aware of some basic changes in the Vista folders. There is no
longer a "My documents" or My - anything. The folders are there but are now
system-only junctions (for backward compatibility of older applications).
That is probably the reason Vista will not allow you access.

Your documents now go in "c:\Users\your_logon_name\Documents". Music is now
in "c:\Users\your_logon_name\Music"...etc., etc.

Tim

"danonone" <danonone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news4FE69E6-2AA1-4FBD-B525-1470D3948076@microsoft.com...
> HI there,
>
> I have a new instal of Vista, I am trying to arrange the folders how I
> used
> to have them on my old XP PC.
>
> When I copy o music album folder for example, Vista will not allow me to
> Paste it to the "Music" folder.
>
> I notice that every folder is set to "Read Only". Vista asks me for
> permission to move the folder but still get an access denied error.
>
> Also if I try and remove the RO from the folder it seems to do it but then
> its still RO!!
>
> This is really doing my head in, I love Vista so far but at the moment I
> want to throw it out the window.
>
> Thanks in anticipation!
>
> Dan

Mac

Re: Read Only - Folders Problem!
I'd been wondering about those inaccessible folders I have Tim. Probably
should just hide them, rather than remove?

"Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
> If you are truly arranging your folders like they were with XP, then you
> need to be aware of some basic changes in the Vista folders. There is no
> longer a "My documents" or My - anything. The folders are there but are
> now system-only junctions (for backward compatibility of older
> applications). That is probably the reason Vista will not allow you
> access.
>
> Your documents now go in "c:\Users\your_logon_name\Documents". Music is
> now in "c:\Users\your_logon_name\Music"...etc., etc.
>
> Tim
>

> "danonone" <danonone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news4FE69E6-2AA1-4FBD-B525-1470D3948076@microsoft.com...
>> HI there,
>>
>> I have a new instal of Vista, I am trying to arrange the folders how I
>> used
>> to have them on my old XP PC.
>>
>> When I copy o music album folder for example, Vista will not allow me to
>> Paste it to the "Music" folder.
>>
>> I notice that every folder is set to "Read Only". Vista asks me for
>> permission to move the folder but still get an access denied error.
>>
>> Also if I try and remove the RO from the folder it seems to do it but
>> then
>> its still RO!!
>>
>> This is really doing my head in, I love Vista so far but at the moment I
>> want to throw it out the window.
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation!
>>
>> Dan

Jim

Re: Read Only - Folders Problem!

"danonone" <danonone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news4FE69E6-2AA1-4FBD-B525-1470D3948076@microsoft.com...
> HI there,
>
> I have a new instal of Vista, I am trying to arrange the folders how I
> used
> to have them on my old XP PC.
>
> When I copy o music album folder for example, Vista will not allow me to
> Paste it to the "Music" folder.
>
> I notice that every folder is set to "Read Only". Vista asks me for
> permission to move the folder but still get an access denied error.

The Read Only attribute is ignored in XP. I see that Vista ignores this
setting as well.

> Also if I try and remove the RO from the folder it seems to do it but then
> its still RO!!

Of course.

> This is really doing my head in, I love Vista so far but at the moment I
> want to throw it out the window.
>
> Thanks in anticipation!
>
> Dan

Jim

David Dickinson

"Mac" <mac@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'd been wondering about those inaccessible folders I have Tim. Probably
> should just hide them, rather than remove?

Yes! Don't remove them! They're absolutely necessary for backwards
compatibility.

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

Mac

Re: Read Only - Folders Problem!
Are these folders hidden by default? It's just I got Vista preinstalled and
one of the first things I did was show hidden files and folders

> Are these folders hidden by default? It's just I got Vista preinstalled
> and one of the first things I did was show hidden files and folders

It depends on which Music (for instance) "folder" you're talking about.
There is an actual Music folder which you can access like any other folder,
but there's also a Music junction, which is (and should be) hidden (or it
can confuse you).

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org
Please reply only to the newsgroup, not by email.

danonone

Re: Read Only - Folders Problem!
I think, repeat, "think" its ok now...

If I browse to the physical folder c:\users\me\ having already cut the
folder I wish to move, then I right click on "music" and "paste" it works...

So I think it is the case of these "junction" shortcut folders causing the
problems...

How do I hide the little buggers? And where are they all so I can remove
them all...

Thanks

"Tim" wrote:

> If you are truly arranging your folders like they were with XP, then you
> need to be aware of some basic changes in the Vista folders. There is no
> longer a "My documents" or My - anything. The folders are there but are now
> system-only junctions (for backward compatibility of older applications).
> That is probably the reason Vista will not allow you access.
>
> Your documents now go in "c:\Users\your_logon_name\Documents". Music is now
> in "c:\Users\your_logon_name\Music"...etc., etc.
>
> Tim

Michael Walraven

Re: Read Only - Folders Problem!
Do not show hidden and system folders. You cannot remove them, they are
there for backwards compatability.