Turning Off Windows Defender

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

JamesJ

Turning Off Windows Defender
I installed third party spyware and have truned off Windows Defender, so I
thought.
I've unchecked all in Tools/Options:
Unchecked all in Automatic Scanning, all in Real-Time Protection, all in
Options and all in Administrator Options. Anything I'm missing?
But according to System Configuration Windows Defender loads at startup.

Anyway to prevent Windows Defender to load at start up even though it's
turned off.

James

DArnold

Re: Turning Off Windows Defender
JamesJ wrote:
> I installed third party spyware and have truned off Windows Defender, so
> I thought.
> I've unchecked all in Tools/Options:
> Unchecked all in Automatic Scanning, all in Real-Time Protection, all in
> Options and all in Administrator Options. Anything I'm missing?
> But according to System Configuration Windows Defender loads at startup.
>
> Anyway to prevent Windows Defender to load at start up even though it's
> turned off.
>
> James

Turn off the Service in Services.
JamesJ

Re: Turning Off Windows Defender
Turning it off in the services tab didn't prevent it from starting.
Should I turn off defender in the startup tab also?

James

"DArnold" <DArnold@DArnold.com> wrote in message
> JamesJ wrote:
>> I installed third party spyware and have truned off Windows Defender, so
>> I thought.
>> I've unchecked all in Tools/Options:
>> Unchecked all in Automatic Scanning, all in Real-Time Protection, all in
>> Options and all in Administrator Options. Anything I'm missing?
>> But according to System Configuration Windows Defender loads at startup.
>>
>> Anyway to prevent Windows Defender to load at start up even though it's
>> turned off.
>>
>> James

> Turn off the Service in Services.

Neil Harley

JamesJ wrote:
> Turning it off in the services tab didn't prevent it from starting.
> Should I turn off defender in the startup tab also?
>
> James

when you stopped Windows Defender in Services did you disable it at the
same time?
JamesJ

Re: Turning Off Windows Defender
Disable it from where, the startup tab?

"Neil Harley" <nomail@home.com> wrote in message
> JamesJ wrote:
>> Turning it off in the services tab didn't prevent it from starting.
>> Should I turn off defender in the startup tab also?
>>
>> James

> when you stopped Windows Defender in Services did you disable it at the
> same time?

Neil Harley

JamesJ wrote:
> Disable it from where, the startup tab?

In Services, on the 'General' tab there is a drop menu for 'Start-Up
type'. Select Disabled in there and Defender shouldn't start again.
JamesJ

Re: Turning Off Windows Defender
In Administrator Tools/Services Windows Defender is Disabled.
Although it is unchecked in System Configuration it still shows up
there.
I'll revert back to a normal startup.

> JamesJ wrote:
>> Disable it from where, the startup tab?

> In Services, on the 'General' tab there is a drop menu for 'Start-Up
> type'. Select Disabled in there and Defender shouldn't start again.

JamesJ

Re: Turning Off Windows Defender
Can't figure this out. It's disabled in Services but is checked in
the System Cofiguration/Startup tab. When I click Windows Defender in
Security Center Vista tells me it's off?!?!?!

Where is the registry key value to remove disabled items from the startup
tab????

JamesJ wrote:
> Can't figure this out. It's disabled in Services but is checked in
> the System Cofiguration/Startup tab. When I click Windows Defender in
> Security Center Vista tells me it's off?!?!?!
>
> Where is the registry key value to remove disabled items from the
> startup tab????

MSconfig stores disabled items
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run \AutorunsDisabled
JamesJ

Re: Turning Off Windows Defender
Even though Windows Defender is unchecked in System Configuration/Startup
there is no

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\AutorunsDisabled
There is,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run, Windows
Defender
isn't listed.