Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 with VIST

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Dellon

Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 with VIST
I have a brand new Dell E1705 Laptop with Microsoft Vista preinstalled by
Dell. My Laptop can communicate with the DSL installing techs at AT&T, but
Microsoft Vista is blocking AT&T DSL from downloading to my laptop. As a
result, I cannot install AT&T DSL as my ISP. After several hours on the
phone with AT&T Tech Support, they believe there is some kind of a firewall
in Microsoft Vista blocking AT&T DSL from downloading to my laptop.. I also
talked to Dell tech support and they said it’s an AT&T problem. Does
anybody out there know about this problem and how to clear the Firewall
blocking AT&T DSL installation.
Bruce Chambers

Re: Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 withVIST
Dellon wrote:
> I have a brand new Dell E1705 Laptop with Microsoft Vista preinstalled by
> Dell. My Laptop can communicate with the DSL installing techs at AT&T, but
> Microsoft Vista is blocking AT&T DSL from downloading to my laptop. As a
> result, I cannot install AT&T DSL as my ISP. After several hours on the
> phone with AT&T Tech Support, they believe there is some kind of a firewall
> in Microsoft Vista blocking AT&T DSL from downloading to my laptop.. I also
> talked to Dell tech support and they said it’s an AT&T problem. Does
> anybody out there know about this problem and how to clear the Firewall
> blocking AT&T DSL installation.

It'd have to be an AT&T problem, as is no real need to "download"
anything for you to connect to a broadband ISP. At the very most, you
might need to install device drivers for the DSL modem, depending upon
how it's connected to your laptop.

Whatever additional software AT&T is asking you install apparently
isn't Vista-compatible. You might try asking AT&T what the purpose of
this software is.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dellon

Re: Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 with
Thank You Bruce for your help. My problem is that I don't even have an
internet connection yet for my new laptop, because AT&T can't connect me to
the internet with their DSL. AT&T keeps telling me that the Windows firewall
is stopping them from getting thru to my laptop. I'm using a friend's
computer to ask for help. So, my question is still - How do I get AT&T DSL
to connect me to the internet - when they say the Windows firewall is
stopping them from getting thru to my computer. Thanks Again.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Dellon wrote:
> > I have a brand new Dell E1705 Laptop with Microsoft Vista preinstalled by
> > Dell. My Laptop can communicate with the DSL installing techs at AT&T, but
> > Microsoft Vista is blocking AT&T DSL from downloading to my laptop. As a
> > result, I cannot install AT&T DSL as my ISP. After several hours on the
> > phone with AT&T Tech Support, they believe there is some kind of a firewall
> > in Microsoft Vista blocking AT&T DSL from downloading to my laptop.. I also
> > talked to Dell tech support and they said it’s an AT&T problem. Does
> > anybody out there know about this problem and how to clear the Firewall
> > blocking AT&T DSL installation.

> It'd have to be an AT&T problem, as is no real need to "download"
> anything for you to connect to a broadband ISP. At the very most, you
> might need to install device drivers for the DSL modem, depending upon
> how it's connected to your laptop.
>
> Whatever additional software AT&T is asking you install apparently
> isn't Vista-compatible. You might try asking AT&T what the purpose of
> this software is.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Dave

Re: Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 with
I don't have DSL, but I have cable broadband.
I can't imagine what AT&T would have to do, other than hook up the
modem/router, and leave.
Your computer shouldn't need anything to connect to it.
I'd say your firewall is doing a fine job.

"Dellon" <Dellon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank You Bruce for your help. My problem is that I don't even have an
> internet connection yet for my new laptop, because AT&T can't connect me
> the internet with their DSL. AT&T keeps telling me that the Windows
> firewall
> is stopping them from getting thru to my laptop. I'm using a friend's
> computer to ask for help. So, my question is still - How do I get AT&T
> DSL
> to connect me to the internet - when they say the Windows firewall is
> stopping them from getting thru to my computer. Thanks Again.
>
> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
>> Dellon wrote:
>> > I have a brand new Dell E1705 Laptop with Microsoft Vista preinstalled
>> > by
>> > Dell. My Laptop can communicate with the DSL installing techs at AT&T,
>> > but
>> > Microsoft Vista is blocking AT&T DSL from downloading to my laptop. As
>> > result, I cannot install AT&T DSL as my ISP. After several hours on
>> > the
>> > phone with AT&T Tech Support, they believe there is some kind of a
>> > firewall
>> > in Microsoft Vista blocking AT&T DSL from downloading to my laptop.. I
>> > also
>> > talked to Dell tech support and they said it’s an AT&T problem. Does
>> > anybody out there know about this problem and how to clear the Firewall
>> > blocking AT&T DSL installation.

>> It'd have to be an AT&T problem, as is no real need to "download"
>> anything for you to connect to a broadband ISP. At the very most, you
>> might need to install device drivers for the DSL modem, depending upon
>> how it's connected to your laptop.
>>
>> Whatever additional software AT&T is asking you install apparently
>> isn't Vista-compatible. You might try asking AT&T what the purpose of
>> this software is.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
>> Russell

Dellon

Re: Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 with
Thank You Dave - We can't understand it either - thanks for your input - we
will get back with AT&T and Dell.

Dellon wrote:
> Thank You Bruce for your help. My problem is that I don't even have an
> internet connection yet for my new laptop, because AT&T can't connect me to
> the internet with their DSL. AT&T keeps telling me that the Windows firewall
> is stopping them from getting thru to my laptop.

There is absolutely no reason for AT&T to need to be able to "get
through to" your laptop. All you need to do is connect to their server;
they don't need to connect to you.

> I'm using a friend's
> computer to ask for help. So, my question is still - How do I get AT&T DSL
> to connect me to the internet - when they say the Windows firewall is
> stopping them from getting thru to my computer. Thanks Again.

Again, the firewall is doing exactly as it is intended to do: it's
preventing an unwarranted intrusion into your system. If AT&T demands
remote access to your computer in exchange for the use of their service,
I'd strongly suggest that you find a less invasive Internet provider.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Susie

Re: Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 with
Ok stupid question, but are you using the USB plug with your DSL? What
happens if it is plugged in and you just hit your IE icon? You may have to
open the wizard and tell it how to connect. It may be looking for a wireless
connection or a cable connection.
I have my laptop set up wireless at home, and I use DSL at work with a USB
cable. I have XP Pro on that machine. My desktop is VISTA and that is where
I hooked up the wireless for my laptop. I have had no issues what so ever.
Have you tried opening IE?

I know my laptop has a button on the front that I have to make sure is
switched the right direction in order for my wireless connection to work.
That drove me nuts until I noticed it.

> Thank You Dave - We can't understand it either - thanks for your input -
> we
> will get back with AT&T and Dell.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> I don't have DSL, but I have cable broadband.
>> I can't imagine what AT&T would have to do, other than hook up the
>> modem/router, and leave.
>> Your computer shouldn't need anything to connect to it.
>> I'd say your firewall is doing a fine job.
>>

>> "Dellon" <Dellon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank You Bruce for your help. My problem is that I don't even have
>> > an
>> > internet connection yet for my new laptop, because AT&T can't connect
>> > me
>> > the internet with their DSL. AT&T keeps telling me that the Windows
>> > firewall
>> > is stopping them from getting thru to my laptop. I'm using a
>> > friend's
>> > computer to ask for help. So, my question is still - How do I get AT&T
>> > DSL
>> > to connect me to the internet - when they say the Windows firewall is
>> > stopping them from getting thru to my computer. Thanks Again.

Dellon

Re: Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 with
Thanks again Bruce - We may not be using the right terminology with terms
like "download" and "get access" - May not be askling the right Questions -
My friend bought a new DEll E1705 laptop (paid big bucks) and signed up with
AT&T Yahoo DSL - So far it's been several days of back and forth with AT&T
DSL and they can't get her service "started." We just can't believe that
AT&T doesn't know how to start her DSL service. Thanks Again

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Dellon wrote:
> > Thank You Bruce for your help. My problem is that I don't even have an
> > internet connection yet for my new laptop, because AT&T can't connect me to
> > the internet with their DSL. AT&T keeps telling me that the Windows firewall
> > is stopping them from getting thru to my laptop.

> There is absolutely no reason for AT&T to need to be able to "get
> through to" your laptop. All you need to do is connect to their server;
> they don't need to connect to you.
>

> > I'm using a friend's
> > computer to ask for help. So, my question is still - How do I get AT&T DSL
> > to connect me to the internet - when they say the Windows firewall is
> > stopping them from getting thru to my computer. Thanks Again.
> >

> Again, the firewall is doing exactly as it is intended to do: it's
> preventing an unwarranted intrusion into your system. If AT&T demands
> remote access to your computer in exchange for the use of their service,
> I'd strongly suggest that you find a less invasive Internet provider.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Dellon

Re: Cannot Download AT&T DSL connection to Dell Laptop E1705 with
Thank You Susie for your help - not sure what your reply said - we're totally
new at this. Will print your response out and give it a try - ok

"Susie" wrote:

> Ok stupid question, but are you using the USB plug with your DSL? What
> happens if it is plugged in and you just hit your IE icon? You may have to
> open the wizard and tell it how to connect. It may be looking for a wireless
> connection or a cable connection.
> I have my laptop set up wireless at home, and I use DSL at work with a USB
> cable. I have XP Pro on that machine. My desktop is VISTA and that is where
> I hooked up the wireless for my laptop. I have had no issues what so ever.
> Have you tried opening IE?
>
> I know my laptop has a button on the front that I have to make sure is
> switched the right direction in order for my wireless connection to work.
> That drove me nuts until I noticed it.
>

> "Dellon" <Dellon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank You Dave - We can't understand it either - thanks for your input -
> > we
> > will get back with AT&T and Dell.
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> I don't have DSL, but I have cable broadband.
> >> I can't imagine what AT&T would have to do, other than hook up the
> >> modem/router, and leave.
> >> Your computer shouldn't need anything to connect to it.
> >> I'd say your firewall is doing a fine job.

Malke

Dellon wrote:
> Thanks again Bruce - We may not be using the right terminology with terms
> like "download" and "get access" - May not be askling the right Questions -
> My friend bought a new DEll E1705 laptop (paid big bucks) and signed up with
> AT&T Yahoo DSL - So far it's been several days of back and forth with AT&T
> DSL and they can't get her service "started." We just can't believe that
> AT&T doesn't know how to start her DSL service. Thanks Again

Your friend may be best off having a local computer professional come to
her house, but here's what I'd do*:

Go to client's house with laptop running XP or OS X. Plug laptop into
DSL modem with ethernet cable. Open a browser and manually activate the
DSL. There are instructions as to how to do this without using any ISP
software on www.dslreports. A professional computer person will also
know how to do this if you find the instructions confusing.

The only real trick is that after you've gone through the activation
server stuff and assigned a username and password, you then have to log
back into the DSL modem with that new username and password.

*And I'm guessing that your friend's problem is that she can't
successfully go through AT&T's software setup which includes
registering/activating the account.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers