Vista new machine with NO NORTON

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Cady

Vista new machine with NO NORTON
Hi. I bought a brand new machine last sunday. It came with Vista.
I promptly uninstalled all Norton and Symantec stuff and downloaded
windows live onecare. That is all that is on my machine now
but everytime I reboot the firewall comes back up turned off.

one more time for good measure:
I HAVE NO OTHER FIREWALL RUNNING ON THIS MACHINE.

I have virtually nothing installed at all in fact. Just Quicken and and
OpenOffice.
I have also uninstalled all Microsoft Office trials and all other trial
software they'd loaded on the machine.

I have also already gone into the control panel and clicked on the firewall
service and verified that it does say to start up automatically on reboot.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix
this?

JerryM

Re: Vista new machine with NO NORTON
Hi, Cady,

Windows One care has it's own firewall that works for both incoming and out
going Mail.
Since only one firewall is required, it shuts down the Windows firewall.
Don't worry, your system is protected.

--

Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The wagging tail of a dog.

"Cady" <Cady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I bought a brand new machine last sunday. It came with Vista.
> I promptly uninstalled all Norton and Symantec stuff and downloaded
> windows live onecare. That is all that is on my machine now
> but everytime I reboot the firewall comes back up turned off.
>
> one more time for good measure:
> I HAVE NO OTHER FIREWALL RUNNING ON THIS MACHINE.
>
> I have virtually nothing installed at all in fact. Just Quicken and and
> OpenOffice.
> I have also uninstalled all Microsoft Office trials and all other trial
> software they'd loaded on the machine.
>
> I have also already gone into the control panel and clicked on the
> firewall
> service and verified that it does say to start up automatically on reboot.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any suggestions on how to
> fix
> this?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista new machine with NO NORTON
Open the Security Center.
Click the down arrow on the right side of Firewall.
You should see the OneCare Firewall is protecting the system.
One Care like other programs that have a firewall, often disable the
Windows Firewall since it is generally a bad idea to have more than
one software firewall running at a time.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Cady" <Cady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I bought a brand new machine last sunday. It came with Vista.
> I promptly uninstalled all Norton and Symantec stuff and downloaded
> windows live onecare. That is all that is on my machine now
> but everytime I reboot the firewall comes back up turned off.
>
> one more time for good measure:
> I HAVE NO OTHER FIREWALL RUNNING ON THIS MACHINE.
>
> I have virtually nothing installed at all in fact. Just Quicken and
> and
> OpenOffice.
> I have also uninstalled all Microsoft Office trials and all other
> trial
> software they'd loaded on the machine.
>
> I have also already gone into the control panel and clicked on the
> firewall
> service and verified that it does say to start up automatically on
> reboot.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any suggestions on
> how to fix
> this?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista new machine with NO NORTON
You don't need the built in Windows firewall if you are using OneCare. The
OneCare product has its own firewall protection.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Cady" <Cady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I bought a brand new machine last sunday. It came with Vista.
> I promptly uninstalled all Norton and Symantec stuff and downloaded
> windows live onecare. That is all that is on my machine now
> but everytime I reboot the firewall comes back up turned off.
>
> one more time for good measure:
> I HAVE NO OTHER FIREWALL RUNNING ON THIS MACHINE.
>
> I have virtually nothing installed at all in fact. Just Quicken and and
> OpenOffice.
> I have also uninstalled all Microsoft Office trials and all other trial
> software they'd loaded on the machine.
>
> I have also already gone into the control panel and clicked on the
> firewall
> service and verified that it does say to start up automatically on reboot.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any suggestions on how to
> fix
> this?

Cady

Re: Vista new machine with NO NORTON
Thanks all... I will stop worrying about that then.