Defender not showing correct status

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

freddie

Defender not showing correct status
In the Vista Security Center, Defender is shown as switched off even
though it is running and scans normally. If I click on the Turn On Now
button it looks for an update but doesn't show the On status.
I have read a previous thread on this where the answer was to rename
the Repository folder. I did so but unfortunately it has not cleared
the fault, neither has Vista created a new Repository folder like I
thought it might.
I have tried setting the Defender Service to Off and Manual and
rebooting, in the hope that this might reset something. But this just
causes an error on restart when 'something' tries to start Defender
and can't.
Can anyone help please.
Immortal Knight

RE: Defender not showing correct status
I have the same problem too. My Vista also does not, or con not control my
anti virus program (eset's nod32). To express shortly all things under the
malware protection title can not be monitored.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bob G

Re: Defender not showing correct status
Try this .....

Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
Scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and double-click it.
Now click on the "Pause" button. Leave that window open and double-click
My Computer. Navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\System32\wbem (where
%systemroot% is the drive where XP is installed). Delete the Repository
folder and *only* the Repository folder. Now go back to the WMI service
window you left open and restart the service.
This will rebuild the Repository and hopefully straighten out the
incorrect entries for all your duplicates.
In order to see the Windows files, you may need to unhide them:
Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
in Folder Options).
Check "Display the contents of system folders".
Check "Show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and click "OK" to the
dialog box.

"Immortal Knight" <ImmortalKnight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C1804B42-EF78-4C39-9DF4-42D2CC8225A3@microsoft.com...

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 06:19:38 -0500, "Bob G" <noway@cix.net> wrote:

>Try this .....
>
>Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
>Scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and double-click it.
>Now click on the "Pause" button. Leave that window open and double-click
>My Computer. Navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\System32\wbem (where
>%systemroot% is the drive where XP is installed). Delete the Repository
>folder and *only* the Repository folder. Now go back to the WMI service
>window you left open and restart the service.
>This will rebuild the Repository and hopefully straighten out the
>incorrect entries for all your duplicates.
>In order to see the Windows files, you may need to unhide them:
>Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
>in Folder Options).
>Check "Display the contents of system folders".
>Check "Show hidden files and folders".
>Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and click "OK" to the
>dialog box.

Thanks for the advice. If I want to use Defender again I will try it.
In the meantime, I have totally disabled Vista's Defender and
Firewall, and installed AVG Antivirus, Firewall and Anti-spyware.
It's a shame to have to buy extra software after paying for the
utilities in Vista, but this way I have reliable, well-supported
products.

Re: Defender not showing correct status
I paused the WMI services, renamed the repository folder, and resumed the
WMI services. The Repository folder rebuilt itself, however, Defender still
seems to misreport its status. That is, turning it "on" results in a message
that there are no updates. The message box has only a cancel button. Telling
Defender that I will monitor myself makes the "red" bar "yellow", eliminates
the constant nag notices, and makes Defender report itself as off. However,
it appears that Defender is scanning anyway.
Dave Brennan

>Try this .....
>
>Start>Run>services.msc [enter]
>Scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and double-click it.
>Now click on the "Pause" button. Leave that window open and double-click
>My Computer. Navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\System32\wbem (where
>%systemroot% is the drive where XP is installed). Delete the Repository
>folder and *only* the Repository folder. Now go back to the WMI service
>window you left open and restart the service.
>This will rebuild the Repository and hopefully straighten out the
>incorrect entries for all your duplicates.
>In order to see the Windows files, you may need to unhide them:
>Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
>in Folder Options).
>Check "Display the contents of system folders".
>Check "Show hidden files and folders".
>Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and click "OK" to the
>dialog box.

brink

Re: Defender not showing correct status

OK,

Here's what else I found on the problem. Looks like either a system
restore or reinstall. Check this link out for details:

'Error message when you try to start Windows Defender on a computer
that you recently upgraded to Windows Vista: \"Application failed to
initialize\"' (http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=935511)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--