Multiple and Differen't Scheduled Backups to Different Drives

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Spin

Multiple and Differen't Scheduled Backups to Different Drives
Using Vista Ultimate Backup & Restore how can I automatically schedule two
completly different backup tasks that backup up different files to different
drives. For example: Mondays scheduled task backup designated files to
External Drive and Fridays different scheduled task backup different
designated files to different External Drive. Seems like I can only schedule
one backup routine.
David Dickinson

Re: Multiple and Differen't Scheduled Backups to Different Drives
"Spin" <Spin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Vista Ultimate Backup & Restore how can I automatically schedule two
> completly different backup tasks that backup up different files to
> different
> drives. For example: Mondays scheduled task backup designated files to
> External Drive and Fridays different scheduled task backup different
> designated files to different External Drive. Seems like I can only
> schedule
> one backup routine.

Hi, Spin,

Sadly, it looks like the new crippled version of Backup means that we'll
have to rely upon third-party products. I don't think that what you (or I)
need to do (and used to be able to do very easily) can be done using Vista's
built-in backup facilities.

However, if you create an automatic backup task, then export its XML file
from Task Scheduler, you might be able to modify it and then import it as a
new Task. But it doesn't look like you can use that export to modify the
actual parameters of your backup, such as the destination.

You'd have to configure the automatic backup task the way you want it for
one task, export it, then configure automatic backup for the other task, and
then import the first task.

But I haven't tried it so I don't know if that will work.

<sheesh!>

If you've got an XP machine on your LAN, I would use it's backup software to
backup the files you need from the Vista machine. (Once again, XP trumps
Vista.)

At least we've got a few more years of support left for XP.
--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

Vista Peeve #82: Hidden "Disabled" (but perfectly operable) devices in
Sound. Is this another part of the failed DRM agenda?