wfpdiag.etl. What is that?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Carl

wfpdiag.etl. What is that?
wfpdiag.etl is doing regular reads (about every second)of my system
(C:\) drive. What is it? Is it dangerous? Why the constant drive activity?

Thanks

Carl
Kerry Brown

Re: wfpdiag.etl. What is that?
"Carl" <cmuffoletto@consultant.com> wrote in message
> wfpdiag.etl is doing regular reads (about every second)of my system (C:\)
> drive. What is it? Is it dangerous? Why the constant drive activity?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carl

I'm not sure what the file is. I have it on my computer. If you open it in
notepad it appears to be something to do with time zones and IPSec. Use this
tool

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...k/Filemon.mspx

to get information on what process is using the file.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

David Beder [MSFT]

Re: wfpdiag.etl. What is that?
This is a trace file created by Windows to collect diagnostics information
around ipsec and firewall activity. Such info could be later read by a
troubleshooting tool to help diagnose connectivity failures. I would not
expect it to be active unless you are receiving (or maybe sending) traffic
which is being blocked by your security software.

Is the file growing over time? How large is it getting?

--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking

"Carl" <cmuffoletto@consultant.com> wrote in message
> wfpdiag.etl is doing regular reads (about every second)of my system (C:\)
> drive. What is it? Is it dangerous? Why the constant drive activity?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carl

Carl

Re: wfpdiag.etl. What is that?
David-thanks for your input. You pointed me at Vista's firewall and that
enabled me to locate the program that was causing so much disk activity
involving wfpdiag.etl.

I had installed a program from Shinx Software called Vista Firewall
Control that allows management of the firewall via a simple GUI. It
installs as a system service. Once I disabled the service and rebooted,
the disk activity ceased.

Thanks again for your help.

Carl
David Beder [MSFT] wrote:
> This is a trace file created by Windows to collect diagnostics information
> around ipsec and firewall activity. Such info could be later read by a
> troubleshooting tool to help diagnose connectivity failures. I would not
> expect it to be active unless you are receiving (or maybe sending) traffic
> which is being blocked by your security software.
>
> Is the file growing over time? How large is it getting?

Rock

Re: wfpdiag.etl. What is that?
"Carl" <cmuffoletto@consultant.com> wrote
> David-thanks for your input. You pointed me at Vista's firewall and that
> enabled me to locate the program that was causing so much disk activity
> involving wfpdiag.etl.
>
> I had installed a program from Shinx Software called Vista Firewall
> Control that allows management of the firewall via a simple GUI. It
> installs as a system service. Once I disabled the service and rebooted,
> the disk activity ceased.

> Carl
> David Beder [MSFT] wrote:
>> This is a trace file created by Windows to collect diagnostics
>> information around ipsec and firewall activity. Such info could be later
>> read by a troubleshooting tool to help diagnose connectivity failures. I
>> would not expect it to be active unless you are receiving (or maybe
>> sending) traffic which is being blocked by your security software.
>>
>> Is the file growing over time? How large is it getting?

Ahh, now that you mention it, I thought I had seen that file being accessed
at some point on this system but just couldn't remember the specifics since
it was happened some time ago. But yes I had installed Vista Firewall
Control some time ago, and the reason I removed it was this constant file
access.

Glad it's sorted now.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]