Cannot enable BitLocker: "Insufficient disk space..."

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

violentce

Cannot enable BitLocker: "Insufficient disk space..."
I had BitLocker enabled, had to decrypt and clear the TPM key becuase I
forgot the password. I now re-enabled the TPM key, initialized it and now
have a password I could get amnesia and not forget.

When I follow the instructions to enable BitLocker again and I follow the
bouncing ball, get to the "Encrypt the volume", C:\ prompt...then I get
informed that I am suffering from "Insufficient disk space for BitLocker...".
I have plenty of free disk space on the volumes selected.

Disk Info:
C:\ - system, 30GB volume with ~19GB free
D:\ - BitLocker 1.5GB volume with 1.4GB free
E:\ - Data 61GB volume with ~40GB free

I have seen other "similar" questions in the Community and they note that
contiguous file space could be the issue, I have defrgged and get the same
result.
Robert Kochem

Re: Cannot enable BitLocker: "Insufficient disk space..."
violentce wrote in five identical postings:

> I had BitLocker enabled, had to decrypt and clear the TPM key becuase I
> forgot the password.

Well that is a possible way - but a bit too intricate as it had to be. With
the script manage-bde.wsf it would have took you only some seconds to
re-enable your volume with TPM. I have done that several times. Now it is
much too late.

> I now re-enabled the TPM key, initialized it and now
> have a password I could get amnesia and not forget.
>
> When I follow the instructions to enable BitLocker again and I follow the
> bouncing ball, get to the "Encrypt the volume", C:\ prompt...then I get
> informed that I am suffering from "Insufficient disk space for BitLocker...".
> I have plenty of free disk space on the volumes selected.

I had this problem some weeks ago, too. Googling showed me that this is a
common problem when you decrypt your system drive and then try to encrypt
it again.

> Disk Info:
> C:\ - system, 30GB volume with ~19GB free
> D:\ - BitLocker 1.5GB volume with 1.4GB free
> E:\ - Data 61GB volume with ~40GB free
>
> I have seen other "similar" questions in the Community and they note that
> contiguous file space could be the issue, I have defrgged and get the same
> result.

Nothing I tried solved the problem. At the end I made a new installation -
luckily it was only a test installation.

BTW: Did you resized your system partition while Bitlocker was enabled? I
did and from my feeling this could be the reason for this problem.

Robert
violentce

Re: Cannot enable BitLocker: "Insufficient disk space..."
I posted 5 times only because the website did not appear to be allowing me to
post...I know I am not the only person experiencing the disk issue as you can
see by reviewing other posts...but it doesn't look like there is any one
definitive fix to the issue.

I think I did resize my partition, I believe that it was initially 40GB,
then resized to 30.
--
Pimpin'' ain''t easy but somebody gotta do it...