Trusted Installer

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

WaltN

Trusted Installer
Here's how I got into trouble: I wanted to test a full File and Folder
restore from my File and Folder backups. I redirected the restore to a
folder under the control of my account (Administrator privileges). The
restore went fine and checked out satisfactorily. Satisfied, I wanted to
delete all the files and folders in the test folder I created. I was able to
delete everything except the Windows Media Player and Windows Gadgets
folders.

I tried everything I could think of to delete these, but I failed.
Apparently only the "Trusted Installer" has the required privileges.

What can I do to get rid of the restored files and folders?
--
Walt
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Trusted Installer
Hello Walt,
You can follow the steps at the bottem of this article:
929833 Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding

. At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then
press ENTER:
takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll .
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
administrators full access to the file:
icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant
administrators:F .

First you have take ownership of the files and folders, Then you have
grant permissions to be able to delete them.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?V2FsdE4=?= <WaltN@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Trusted Installer
>Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:58:00 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
>
>Here's how I got into trouble: I wanted to test a full File and Folder
>restore from my File and Folder backups. I redirected the restore to a
>folder under the control of my account (Administrator privileges). The
>restore went fine and checked out satisfactorily. Satisfied, I wanted to
>delete all the files and folders in the test folder I created. I was able

>delete everything except the Windows Media Player and Windows Gadgets
>folders.
>
>I tried everything I could think of to delete these, but I failed.
>Apparently only the "Trusted Installer" has the required privileges.
>
>What can I do to get rid of the restored files and folders?
>--
>Walt

WaltN

Re: Trusted Installer
Darrell, you are the proverbial Gentleman and Scholar. It worked just like
you said it would.

It will take some time to clean house because each folder involved has to
have the pair of incantations cast before the files in that folder can be
deleted. Nevertheless, I'm grateful that I won't have to have that folder
full of junk staring at me for time immemorial.

Walt