can't open attachemnts

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

caroline

can't open attachemnts
hello, i don;t seem to be able to open attachments from my email. And also ,
when i send documents i created with works, people can't open it. if i get an
attachments in excell , i should be able to open it?
thanks.
Malke

Re: can't open attachemnts
caroline wrote:
> hello, i don;t seem to be able to open attachments from my email. And also ,
> when i send documents i created with works, people can't open it. if i get an
> attachments in excell , i should be able to open it?
> thanks.

What happens when you try to send attachments? What kind of attachments?
What email program?

As for documents created with MS Works, the file formats used in Works
programs are not usually compatible with any other programs so that's
why the recipients can't open them. If they are word processing
documents, Save As Rich Text Format instead of the Works native format.
If you get an Excel (*.xls) spreadsheet, Works may not be able to open
it and vice versa.

If you do a lot of file exchanges with people using MS Office, then
either purchase MS Office or install the OpenOffice free suite from
www.openoffice.org. OpenOffice can read/write MS Office formats. You
need to remember to Save As [choose the appropriate MS Office program
file format] instead of saving in OpenOffice native file format.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: can't open attachemnts
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:33:02 -0700, caroline
<caroline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hello, i don;t seem to be able to open attachments from my email.

What kind of documents? Do you have the appropriate program(s)
installed to open them?

>And also ,
>when i send documents i created with works, people can't open it.

Same situation. If they don't have Works, they can't open them.

> if i get an
>attachments in excell , i should be able to open it?

You should be able to open it *if* you have Excel or some compatible
program installed. Since you say you use Works, in all probability you
do *not* have Excel installed.

If all you want to do is view existing Excel spreadsheets, rather than
create them yourself, you don't need a copy of Excel. You can download
a free Excel viewer at http://tinyurl.com/6tss3

However* (and it's a big however), it's very important to realize that
opening attachments received in E-mail messages is one of the most
dangerous things you can do with your computer. Many attachments can
carry viruses or other malware, and if you open them, you can easily
get infected.

You often see advice not to open attachments from people you don't
know. I think that that's one of the most dangerous pieces of advice
you see around, because it implies that it's safe to do the
opposite--open attachments from friends and relatives. But many
viruses spread by sending themselves to everyone in the infected
party's address book, so attachments received from friends are perhaps
the *most* risky to open.

Even if the attachment legitimately comes from a friend, it can
contain a virus. I'm not suggesting that a friend is likely to send
you a virus on purpose, but if the friend is infected without
realizing it, any attachment he sends you is likely to also be
infected.

Personally I never open executable attachments at all, except from a
*very* few trusted sources, and then only when I'm expecting them.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
caroline

Re: can't open attachemnts
thank you very much for your answer.

"Malke" wrote:

> caroline wrote:
> > hello, i don;t seem to be able to open attachments from my email. And also ,
> > when i send documents i created with works, people can't open it. if i get an
> > attachments in excell , i should be able to open it?
> > thanks.

> What happens when you try to send attachments? What kind of attachments?
> What email program?
>
> As for documents created with MS Works, the file formats used in Works
> programs are not usually compatible with any other programs so that's
> why the recipients can't open them. If they are word processing
> documents, Save As Rich Text Format instead of the Works native format.
> If you get an Excel (*.xls) spreadsheet, Works may not be able to open
> it and vice versa.
>
> If you do a lot of file exchanges with people using MS Office, then
> either purchase MS Office or install the OpenOffice free suite from
> www.openoffice.org. OpenOffice can read/write MS Office formats. You
> need to remember to Save As [choose the appropriate MS Office program
> file format] instead of saving in OpenOffice native file format.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

caroline

Re: can't open attachemnts

very usefull advice. thanks. i will download the viewer.
"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:33:02 -0700, caroline
> <caroline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >hello, i don;t seem to be able to open attachments from my email.

> What kind of documents? Do you have the appropriate program(s)
> installed to open them?
>

> >And also ,
> >when i send documents i created with works, people can't open it.

> Same situation. If they don't have Works, they can't open them.
>

> > if i get an
> >attachments in excell , i should be able to open it?

> You should be able to open it *if* you have Excel or some compatible
> program installed. Since you say you use Works, in all probability you
> do *not* have Excel installed.
>
> If all you want to do is view existing Excel spreadsheets, rather than
> create them yourself, you don't need a copy of Excel. You can download
> a free Excel viewer at http://tinyurl.com/6tss3
>
> However* (and it's a big however), it's very important to realize that
> opening attachments received in E-mail messages is one of the most
> dangerous things you can do with your computer. Many attachments can
> carry viruses or other malware, and if you open them, you can easily
> get infected.
>
> You often see advice not to open attachments from people you don't
> know. I think that that's one of the most dangerous pieces of advice
> you see around, because it implies that it's safe to do the
> opposite--open attachments from friends and relatives. But many
> viruses spread by sending themselves to everyone in the infected
> party's address book, so attachments received from friends are perhaps
> the *most* risky to open.
>
> Even if the attachment legitimately comes from a friend, it can
> contain a virus. I'm not suggesting that a friend is likely to send
> you a virus on purpose, but if the friend is infected without
> realizing it, any attachment he sends you is likely to also be
> infected.
>
> Personally I never open executable attachments at all, except from a
> *very* few trusted sources, and then only when I'm expecting them.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: can't open attachemnts
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 21:44:08 -0700, caroline
<caroline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>very usefull advice. thanks. i will download the viewer.

You're welcome. Glad to help.