File sharing...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Chris

File sharing...
This may be a question for the XP board but I thought I'd throw it here in
case someone knows the answer...

My home network has 3 PC's, 1 running Win98 (yes, Win98), 1 machine running
WinXP Home and the third running Vista Home Premium. I want to be able to
share files from my XP machine to my Vista machine. When I browse to the
shared folders I can see them but when I attempt to open them, it says access
denied. I can see and access the files fine from my Win98 machine (and i;ve
tried a friend's XP laptop which works fine) but Vista won't open the shared
folders. I have had success, however, in opening files that are in XP's
"Shared Music" and "Shared Picures" folders that have the same file sharing
permissions... this isn't making sense to me.

Anyone else have this problem ?

Rock

Re: File sharing...
"Chris" wrote
> This may be a question for the XP board but I thought I'd throw it here in
> case someone knows the answer...
>
> My home network has 3 PC's, 1 running Win98 (yes, Win98), 1 machine
> running
> WinXP Home and the third running Vista Home Premium. I want to be able to
> share files from my XP machine to my Vista machine. When I browse to the
> shared folders I can see them but when I attempt to open them, it says
> access
> denied. I can see and access the files fine from my Win98 machine (and
> i;ve
> tried a friend's XP laptop which works fine) but Vista won't open the
> shared
> folders. I have had success, however, in opening files that are in XP's
> "Shared Music" and "Shared Picures" folders that have the same file
> sharing
> permissions... this isn't making sense to me.

Another good newsgroup for this might be
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Malke

Re: File sharing...
Chris wrote:
> This may be a question for the XP board but I thought I'd throw it here in
> case someone knows the answer...
>
> My home network has 3 PC's, 1 running Win98 (yes, Win98), 1 machine running
> WinXP Home and the third running Vista Home Premium. I want to be able to
> share files from my XP machine to my Vista machine. When I browse to the
> shared folders I can see them but when I attempt to open them, it says access
> denied. I can see and access the files fine from my Win98 machine (and i;ve
> tried a friend's XP laptop which works fine) but Vista won't open the shared
> folders. I have had success, however, in opening files that are in XP's
> "Shared Music" and "Shared Picures" folders that have the same file sharing
> permissions... this isn't making sense to me.

Asked and answered in the other newsgroup to which you posted. Please
don't multipost; it makes more work for everyone and will get you *less*
help, not more. See this for why:

If you have forgotten where you posted or can't find your post, use
Google Groups Advanced Search and search for your name.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Chris

Re: File sharing...
THanks !

"Rock" wrote:

> "Chris" wrote
> > This may be a question for the XP board but I thought I'd throw it here in
> > case someone knows the answer...
> >
> > My home network has 3 PC's, 1 running Win98 (yes, Win98), 1 machine
> > running
> > WinXP Home and the third running Vista Home Premium. I want to be able to
> > share files from my XP machine to my Vista machine. When I browse to the
> > shared folders I can see them but when I attempt to open them, it says
> > access
> > denied. I can see and access the files fine from my Win98 machine (and
> > i;ve
> > tried a friend's XP laptop which works fine) but Vista won't open the
> > shared
> > folders. I have had success, however, in opening files that are in XP's
> > "Shared Music" and "Shared Picures" folders that have the same file
> > sharing
> > permissions... this isn't making sense to me.

> Another good newsgroup for this might be
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Chris

Re: File sharing...
Thanks for the help and the warning. didn't realize multi-posting was so
"taboo".... just needed an answer in a hurry and wasn't thinking. sorry

"Malke" wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > This may be a question for the XP board but I thought I'd throw it here in
> > case someone knows the answer...
> >
> > My home network has 3 PC's, 1 running Win98 (yes, Win98), 1 machine running
> > WinXP Home and the third running Vista Home Premium. I want to be able to
> > share files from my XP machine to my Vista machine. When I browse to the
> > shared folders I can see them but when I attempt to open them, it says access
> > denied. I can see and access the files fine from my Win98 machine (and i;ve
> > tried a friend's XP laptop which works fine) but Vista won't open the shared
> > folders. I have had success, however, in opening files that are in XP's
> > "Shared Music" and "Shared Picures" folders that have the same file sharing
> > permissions... this isn't making sense to me.

> Asked and answered in the other newsgroup to which you posted. Please
> don't multipost; it makes more work for everyone and will get you *less*
> help, not more. See this for why:
>
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
> If you have forgotten where you posted or can't find your post, use
> Google Groups Advanced Search and search for your name.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com