Windows Defender or other?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

SarahW

Windows Defender or other?
Do I need to use a separate anti-virus program if I am using Windows
Defender? Will Defender protect my Vista computer all on its own?
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows Defender or other?
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:43:01 -0700, SarahW
<SarahW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Do I need to use a separate anti-virus program if I am using Windows
>Defender?

Yes.

> Will Defender protect my Vista computer all on its own?

No.

Windows Defender provides some protection (not enough) against
non-viral malware (adware and spyware). You still need to run an
anti-virus program.

Also note my "not enough" above. No single anti-spyware/adware program
is good enough, and you need to run at least two for adequate
protection.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
JerryM

Re: Windows Defender or other?
Two very good antivirus programs that are FREE,

Avast! & AVG

Do a Google search for them.

--

Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The wagging tail of a dog.

"SarahW" <SarahW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I need to use a separate anti-virus program if I am using Windows
> Defender? Will Defender protect my Vista computer all on its own?

Rock

Re: Windows Defender or other?
"SarahW" wrote
> Do I need to use a separate anti-virus program if I am using Windows
> Defender? Will Defender protect my Vista computer all on its own?

Yes you need an AV program. Defender is for non viral malware. Ones that
work well in Vista are Avast (free - I recommend this), NOD32 (paid),
Kaspersky (paid).

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Sharon T

Re: Windows Defender or other?
I just bought Kapersky after using the 1 month trial. It detected scams in
email which AVG did not. I highly recommend Kapersky.

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "SarahW" wrote
>> Do I need to use a separate anti-virus program if I am using Windows
>> Defender? Will Defender protect my Vista computer all on its own?

> Yes you need an AV program. Defender is for non viral malware. Ones that
> work well in Vista are Avast (free - I recommend this), NOD32 (paid),
> Kaspersky (paid).
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

LoneStar

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> Windows Defender provides some protection (not enough) against
> non-viral malware (adware and spyware). You still need to run an
> anti-virus program.

What about the Malicious Software Removal Tool that's updated and run every
month? That along with Defender "should" be good enough, along with Vista's
inherent protection schemes and strengths. Plus, I run One-Care Live
occasionally.

I know I'm going against the grain but since my Vista is running SO well,
and I'm VERY careful what I download and where I go on the Internet, I would
hesitate to run an AV program to load the system down more.

Yeah, I know..................

EW

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows Defender or other?
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:43:41 -0500, "LoneStar"
<ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote:

>"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>news:rvk663lop5ssiuqu0k603218ie4u59g8ik@4ax.com.. .
>>
>> Windows Defender provides some protection (not enough) against
>> non-viral malware (adware and spyware). You still need to run an
>> anti-virus program.
>>

>What about the Malicious Software Removal Tool that's updated and run every
>month? That along with Defender "should" be good enough, along with Vista's
>inherent protection schemes and strengths. Plus, I run One-Care Live
>occasionally.
>
>I know I'm going against the grain but since my Vista is running SO well,
>and I'm VERY careful what I download and where I go on the Internet, I would
>hesitate to run an AV program to load the system down more.
>
>Yeah, I know..................

Your choice, of course. I think you're playing with fire and looking
for trouble.

Good luck!

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Joe

RE: Windows Defender or other?
After much trial and error, I found what I beleive is the perfect combination
for Vista. AVAST virus software coupled with AVG Spyware Protection. Both
are free.
"SarahW" wrote:

> Do I need to use a separate anti-virus program if I am using Windows
> Defender? Will Defender protect my Vista computer all on its own?

Morris Cox

LoneStar wrote:
> What about the Malicious Software Removal Tool that's updated and run every
> month? That along with Defender "should" be good enough, along with Vista's
> inherent protection schemes and strengths. Plus, I run One-Care Live
> occasionally.
>
> I know I'm going against the grain but since my Vista is running SO well,
> and I'm VERY careful what I download and where I go on the Internet, I would
> hesitate to run an AV program to load the system down more.
>
> Yeah, I know..................
>
> EW

The Malicious Software Removal Tool only checks for some viruses
(virii?). You're still liable to be blind-sided by other viruses and by
malware (even with Defender). Note that you can still get hit by XSS
attacks and the like even with an antivirus program. Firefox with the
NoScript extension is quite effective against XSS attacks.

Morris Cox
Ken Blake

"Morris Cox" <RRCI@nospam.nospam.> wrote in message

> LoneStar wrote:

>> What about the Malicious Software Removal Tool that's updated and run
>> every month? That along with Defender "should" be good enough, along
>> with Vista's inherent protection schemes and strengths. Plus, I run
>> One-Care Live occasionally.
>>
>> I know I'm going against the grain but since my Vista is running SO well,
>> and I'm VERY careful what I download and where I go on the Internet, I
>> would hesitate to run an AV program to load the system down more.
>>
>> Yeah, I know..................
>>
>> EW

> The Malicious Software Removal Tool only checks for some viruses (virii?).

You were right the first time. It's "viruses." "Virii" is just illiterate.

> You're still liable to be blind-sided by other viruses and by malware
> (even with Defender).

Yes. Lonestar's comment that "Malicious Software Removal Tool ... along with
Defender 'should' be good enough" is not at all accurate, It's important to
note what Eric Howes, who has done extensive testing on Anti-Spyware
products, states:

"No single anti-spyware scanner removes everything. Even the best-performing
anti-spyware scanner in these tests missed fully one quarter of the
"critical" files and Registry entries" See
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup