MS Live OneCare at bottom of list of AVs?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Joe

MS Live OneCare at bottom of list of AVs?
The latest PC Magazine give a comparison of AV programs and of the 17
programs, MS's Live OneCare was at the bottom. Is it really that bad? At
least I could install in on my Vista box- I couldn't install McAfee.

Malke

Re: MS Live OneCare at bottom of list of AVs?
Joe wrote:
> The latest PC Magazine give a comparison of AV programs and of the 17
> programs, MS's Live OneCare was at the bottom. Is it really that bad? At
> least I could install in on my Vista box- I couldn't install McAfee.

Yes, it is that bad. But so is McAfee and so is Norton. Recommended
antiviruses for Vista are NOD32, Kaspersky, and Avast (free).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
StephenB

"Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote:

>The latest PC Magazine give a comparison of AV programs and of the 17
>programs, MS's Live OneCare was at the bottom. Is it really that bad? At
>least I could install in on my Vista box- I couldn't install McAfee.

I don't know the details of the testing performed for the PC Magazine article,
but I can tell you that no a/v product is perfect. OneCare does a decent job of
providing protection, but there have been reports of threats being missed.
Depending on your computing practices, OneCare could be a viable solution for
you. The Microsoft Anti-malware team is responsible for the a/v signature
definitions for OneCare, Defender, and Forefront Security. I am hopeful that
they improve their detection rates so that future comparisons put OneCare at or
near the top of the list, but it isn't there today.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Kevin Young

> Joe wrote:
>> The latest PC Magazine give a comparison of AV programs and of the 17
>> programs, MS's Live OneCare was at the bottom. Is it really that bad? At
>> least I could install in on my Vista box- I couldn't install McAfee.

> Yes, it is that bad. But so is McAfee and so is Norton. Recommended
> antiviruses for Vista are NOD32, Kaspersky, and Avast (free).

Everyone seems to slam Norton and some of their past Internet Suites likely
deserve that but I'm running Norton 360 on three installations of Vista and
extremely happy with it.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: MS Live OneCare at bottom of list of AVs?
You should be careful.. Symantec might decide to get their happiest clients
stuffed and then put on display..

"Kevin Young" <KY_NNTP@msn.com> wrote in message

> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Joe wrote:
>>> The latest PC Magazine give a comparison of AV programs and of the 17
>>> programs, MS's Live OneCare was at the bottom. Is it really that bad? At
>>> least I could install in on my Vista box- I couldn't install McAfee.

>> Yes, it is that bad. But so is McAfee and so is Norton. Recommended
>> antiviruses for Vista are NOD32, Kaspersky, and Avast (free).
>>

> Everyone seems to slam Norton and some of their past Internet Suites
> likely deserve that but I'm running Norton 360 on three installations of
> Vista and extremely happy with it.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Jonathan M. \TacticalSniper\ Boyko

Re: MS Live OneCare at bottom of list of AVs?
I used NOD32's trial... Then got 360 and computer works the same way
exactly - no slowdowns... I definitely wouldn't trade it for Kaspersky.

--

«Kono kuni wa mada, hontô no hero wo shiranai»

TacticalSniper
http://tacticalsniper.blogspot.com/