Secuity Center reports on the status of uninstalled software

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

POPTOPP

Secuity Center reports on the status of uninstalled software
I installed a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security which I later
removed. The problem is that now within Security Center, Malware/Virus
protection has the big red flag with the message "Kaspersky Internet Security
reports that it is turned off. Kaspersky Internet Security has not provided
Security Center with a program to fix this issue". Technically, I wouldn't
say the software is in an "off" state - the software doesn't exist any more.
The message I'd think should be displayed is that virus protection software
is not installed.

I've run the Kaspersly uninstall, verified that everything is gone from both
the program files and program data folders, and searched the registry for
references to Kaspersky. Granted, this is not hurting functionality, but it
is annoying. Obviously, there's still a flag somewhere. Any suggestions as
to where I should look?

Thanks,
Jeff
POPTOPP

RE: Secuity Center reports on the status of uninstalled software
One other thing, I did run the winmgmt /verifyrepository command as suggested
in an earlier post about Security Center problems. Winmgmt reported that the
WMI repository is consistent.

"POPTOPP" wrote:

> I installed a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security which I later
> removed. The problem is that now within Security Center, Malware/Virus
> protection has the big red flag with the message "Kaspersky Internet Security
> reports that it is turned off. Kaspersky Internet Security has not provided
> Security Center with a program to fix this issue". Technically, I wouldn't
> say the software is in an "off" state - the software doesn't exist any more.
> The message I'd think should be displayed is that virus protection software
> is not installed.
>
> I've run the Kaspersly uninstall, verified that everything is gone from both
> the program files and program data folders, and searched the registry for
> references to Kaspersky. Granted, this is not hurting functionality, but it
> is annoying. Obviously, there's still a flag somewhere. Any suggestions as
> to where I should look?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

POPTOPP

RE: Secuity Center reports on the status of uninstalled software

One more thing. I did run the winmgmt /verifyrepossitory command as
suggested in another post about Security Center problems. Winmgmt reported
that the WMI repository is consistent.
Klaus Reichel

Re: Secuity Center reports on the status of uninstalled software
Hallo. I have the same Problem since 6 month. I think, it is not the Problem
of Kaspersky. I had
the same with the most virus-scanner. The Microsoft - Hotline could not help
me.
Please try the following .
1. Install Kaspersky again
2.Disable in Kaspersky everything(Virus/Firewall, etc.)
3.Deinstall Kaspersky again, everything should be o.k.

Klaus Reichel

"POPTOPP" <POPTOPP@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> One more thing. I did run the winmgmt /verifyrepossitory command as
> suggested in another post about Security Center problems. Winmgmt
> reported
> that the WMI repository is consistent.

Denny

Re: Secuity Center reports on the status of uninstalled software
You might want to try the Windows Install Cleanup Utility. It can be found
here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I hope this helps!

"POPTOPP" <POPTOPP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security which I later
> removed. The problem is that now within Security Center, Malware/Virus
> protection has the big red flag with the message "Kaspersky Internet
> Security
> reports that it is turned off. Kaspersky Internet Security has not
> provided
> Security Center with a program to fix this issue". Technically, I
> wouldn't
> say the software is in an "off" state - the software doesn't exist any
> more.
> The message I'd think should be displayed is that virus protection
> software
> is not installed.
>
> I've run the Kaspersly uninstall, verified that everything is gone from
> both
> the program files and program data folders, and searched the registry for
> references to Kaspersky. Granted, this is not hurting functionality, but
> it
> is annoying. Obviously, there's still a flag somewhere. Any suggestions
> as
> to where I should look?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Malke

Denny wrote:
> You might want to try the Windows Install Cleanup Utility. It can be
> found here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

> "POPTOPP" <POPTOPP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I installed a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security which I later
>> removed. The problem is that now within Security Center, Malware/Virus
>> protection has the big red flag with the message "Kaspersky Internet
>> Security
>> reports that it is turned off. Kaspersky Internet Security has not
>> provided
>> Security Center with a program to fix this issue". Technically, I
>> wouldn't
>> say the software is in an "off" state - the software doesn't exist any
>> more.
>> The message I'd think should be displayed is that virus protection
>> software
>> is not installed.
>>
>> I've run the Kaspersly uninstall, verified that everything is gone
>> from both
>> the program files and program data folders, and searched the registry for
>> references to Kaspersky. Granted, this is not hurting functionality,
>> but it
>> is annoying. Obviously, there's still a flag somewhere. Any
>> suggestions as
>> to where I should look?

The Windows Installer fix will not help. The problem is that the
repository is incorrect, despite results of the verify command. Open a
cmd prompt as Administrator by going to the Start Orb and typing "cmd"
without the quotes in the Search box. When cmd appears, right-click it
and choose "Run as Administrator".

Then do:

net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

If you get any UAC prompts naturally OK them. Or turn off UAC
temporarily to do this and turn it back on afterwards. It may take a few
moments to rebuild the repository.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
GTS

Re: Secuity Center reports on the status of uninstalled software
Malke's advice is excellent, but it may or may not fix the problem.

There is an ongoing serious issue with erroneous reports by Security Center.
I have seen it at various times over the last few years involving Panda,
Symantec and McAfee as well. The problem is that WMI information is only
one of two methods used by Windows to detect AV programs. The other is a
"manual detection mode" as described under "How does Windows Security
Center detect third-party products and their status?" in the KB article
"Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center."
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792/en-us

Vendor's uninstallers are frequently defective and may leave an orphaned DLL
file or registry key behind which is part of the manual criteria used by SC
for that product, and which is not publically available. This is not
Microsoft's fault, but I think they need to provide a way to override/clear
the SC warning when erroneous especially because it sometimes blocks
installation of a replacement AV program which may itself use WMI to detect
whether another AV program is present and require you to uninstall it.

Sometimes this problem can be fixed by an AV vendors clean up utility. When
that fails I've had some luck with text searches of system files to try to
find the vendors name in DLLs, or registry searches, but I would not
recommend these tactics for most end users. Sometimes it's virtually
impossible to resolve by any means.
--

"POPTOPP" <POPTOPP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security which I later
> removed. The problem is that now within Security Center, Malware/Virus
> protection has the big red flag with the message "Kaspersky Internet
> Security
> reports that it is turned off. Kaspersky Internet Security has not
> provided
> Security Center with a program to fix this issue". Technically, I
> wouldn't
> say the software is in an "off" state - the software doesn't exist any
> more.
> The message I'd think should be displayed is that virus protection
> software
> is not installed.
>
> I've run the Kaspersly uninstall, verified that everything is gone from
> both
> the program files and program data folders, and searched the registry for
> references to Kaspersky. Granted, this is not hurting functionality, but
> it
> is annoying. Obviously, there's still a flag somewhere. Any suggestions
> as
> to where I should look?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

POPTOPP

Re: Secuity Center reports on the status of uninstalled software
Fortunatly, Malke's suggestion cleared the error. But the information you
provided is helpful back ground which seems relevent to uninstall/reinstall
problems in general.

Thanks to both of you.
/Jeff

"GTS" wrote:

> Malke's advice is excellent, but it may or may not fix the problem.
>
> There is an ongoing serious issue with erroneous reports by Security Center.
> I have seen it at various times over the last few years involving Panda,
> Symantec and McAfee as well. The problem is that WMI information is only
> one of two methods used by Windows to detect AV programs. The other is a
> "manual detection mode" as described under "How does Windows Security
> Center detect third-party products and their status?" in the KB article
> "Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center."
>
> Vendor's uninstallers are frequently defective and may leave an orphaned DLL
> file or registry key behind which is part of the manual criteria used by SC
> for that product, and which is not publically available. This is not
> Microsoft's fault, but I think they need to provide a way to override/clear
> the SC warning when erroneous especially because it sometimes blocks
> installation of a replacement AV program which may itself use WMI to detect
> whether another AV program is present and require you to uninstall it.
>
> Sometimes this problem can be fixed by an AV vendors clean up utility. When
> that fails I've had some luck with text searches of system files to try to
> find the vendors name in DLLs, or registry searches, but I would not
> recommend these tactics for most end users. Sometimes it's virtually
> impossible to resolve by any means.
> --
>
> "POPTOPP" <POPTOPP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security which I later
> > removed. The problem is that now within Security Center, Malware/Virus
> > protection has the big red flag with the message "Kaspersky Internet
> > Security
> > reports that it is turned off. Kaspersky Internet Security has not
> > provided
> > Security Center with a program to fix this issue". Technically, I
> > wouldn't
> > say the software is in an "off" state - the software doesn't exist any
> > more.
> > The message I'd think should be displayed is that virus protection
> > software
> > is not installed.
> >
> > I've run the Kaspersly uninstall, verified that everything is gone from
> > both
> > the program files and program data folders, and searched the registry for
> > references to Kaspersky. Granted, this is not hurting functionality, but
> > it
> > is annoying. Obviously, there's still a flag somewhere. Any suggestions
> > as
> > to where I should look?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff

Malke

POPTOPP wrote:
> Fortunatly, Malke's suggestion cleared the error. But the information you
> provided is helpful back ground which seems relevent to uninstall/reinstall
> problems in general.

It always has worked for me, and I do this for a living. Nevertheless,
it was good to get the information provided by GTS. I'm glad the method
I suggested sorted it for you.

Malke