Group and user security policies in Vista Home Premium

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

POPTOPP

Group and user security policies in Vista Home Premium
I've been working with Dell support to try to figure out a way to disable
password aging in Vista Home Premium. They've concluded that since certain
MMC console documents are missing or non-functional (such as gpedit, lusrmgr,
and secpol) that the OS has been corrupted and a complete reinstall is
required.

In an earlier post, Jesper hinted that some account management features have
been removed from Home Premium and the work around is to use the NET ACCOUNTS
command.

Can anyone confirm that by design that gpedit, gpmc, lusrmgt,
printmanagement, and secpol are unsupported MMC stubs in Home Premium.
Obviously, a reinstall is non-trivial event.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Tim

Re: Group and user security policies in Vista Home Premium
If it helps at all...Group Policy is not supported in Vista Home Premium. I
wouldn't have thought that Home Premium even had password aging. I haven't
been prompted to change my password in the > 6 months that I've been running
it (of course, maybe it's set to be longer than 6 months). Where did you
find the setting?

Tim

"POPTOPP" <POPTOPP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been working with Dell support to try to figure out a way to disable
> password aging in Vista Home Premium. They've concluded that since
> certain
> MMC console documents are missing or non-functional (such as gpedit,
> lusrmgr,
> and secpol) that the OS has been corrupted and a complete reinstall is
> required.
>
> In an earlier post, Jesper hinted that some account management features
> have
> been removed from Home Premium and the work around is to use the NET
> ACCOUNTS
> command.
>
> Can anyone confirm that by design that gpedit, gpmc, lusrmgt,
> printmanagement, and secpol are unsupported MMC stubs in Home Premium.
> Obviously, a reinstall is non-trivial event.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jeff

POPTOPP

Re: Group and user security policies in Vista Home Premium
I set up three password protected accounts on a new Dell system. We started
getting prompted to change our passwords about a month afterwards. I found
some password settings in the registry at "HKLM\software\microsoft\windows
nt\currentversion\winlogon" but there were no parameters to manage aging.
Parameters to control aging can be set with the "net accounts" command.

What I'm still trying to verify is Dell's claim that the missing files
indicate my OS install is corrupted, or if those files are not included in
Home Premium by design.

/Jeff

"Tim" wrote:

> If it helps at all...Group Policy is not supported in Vista Home Premium. I
> wouldn't have thought that Home Premium even had password aging. I haven't
> been prompted to change my password in the > 6 months that I've been running
> it (of course, maybe it's set to be longer than 6 months). Where did you
> find the setting?
>
> Tim
>
> "POPTOPP" <POPTOPP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been working with Dell support to try to figure out a way to disable
> > password aging in Vista Home Premium. They've concluded that since
> > certain
> > MMC console documents are missing or non-functional (such as gpedit,
> > lusrmgr,
> > and secpol) that the OS has been corrupted and a complete reinstall is
> > required.
> >
> > In an earlier post, Jesper hinted that some account management features
> > have
> > been removed from Home Premium and the work around is to use the NET
> > ACCOUNTS
> > command.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm that by design that gpedit, gpmc, lusrmgt,
> > printmanagement, and secpol are unsupported MMC stubs in Home Premium.
> > Obviously, a reinstall is non-trivial event.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Jeff

Jimmy Brush

Re: Group and user security policies in Vista Home Premium
Hello,

I can confirm that these features are not available in Home editions
of Windows Vista.

Also, I think the following command will prevent your passwords from
expiring.

- Open an elevated command prompt (right-click, run as administrator)
- Type: net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 07:10:03 -0700, POPTOPP
<POPTOPP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've been working with Dell support to try to figure out a way to disable
>password aging in Vista Home Premium. They've concluded that since certain
>MMC console documents are missing or non-functional (such as gpedit, lusrmgr,
>and secpol) that the OS has been corrupted and a complete reinstall is
>required.
>
>In an earlier post, Jesper hinted that some account management features have
>been removed from Home Premium and the work around is to use the NET ACCOUNTS
>command.
>
>Can anyone confirm that by design that gpedit, gpmc, lusrmgt,
>printmanagement, and secpol are unsupported MMC stubs in Home Premium.
>Obviously, a reinstall is non-trivial event.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jeff

Nico3d3

Re: Group and user security policies in Vista Home Premium

I extracted the file gpedit.msc from my Vista upgrade CD (I ordered a CD
because I upgraded my Vista Home basic to Vista Home Premium) and I
copied it in C:\Windows\System32. I was just checking to see if, out to
luck that was the only thing needed to have the gpedit working.
Unfortunately, it didn't worked

--
Nico3d3